Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "MIL-SPEC" accuracy...

Feedback Score
    What is impressive about those groups is NOT the ammunition/rifle/carbine's accuracy. Such accuracy is expected.

What impresses the most is that you accomlished that with sight using a large red dot as the point of reference.

What is the MOA of the dot you were using?

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Interesting you guys can get such good groups with M855. Molon did tests with several different brands using Colt barrels and got an average 10 shot group size of 3.2" @100 yards with 4 different types of M855 which has basically mirrored what I have gotten with chrome lined barrels including Colt, Noveske, Centurion, & BCM.

I do like IMI ammunition though. Never been able to get it to shoot sub MOA even out of a barrel that would shoot 10 shot sub MOA groups. It did the best for Molon, too. Someone can prove me wrong but I don't think anyone should be expecting sub MOA results consistently if they are even getting those with M855 or M193 even. There is a reason the military adopted Mk262 for precision use.

You can read his M855 accuracy report here: http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=897827&postcount=6

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TY44934 View Post
    What is impressive about those groups is NOT the ammunition/rifle/carbine's accuracy. Such accuracy is expected.

What impresses the most is that you accomlished that with sight using a large red dot as the point of reference.

What is the MOA of the dot you were using?
    It's a 2 MOA dot. I zero at the top of the dot at 100M. It just makes things easier since the dot is not obscuring the target with this method. It's also easier to get an idea of where you are left to right. At close range the difference is inconsequential and you just put the dot on the target and shoot as you normally would.

As far as the inherent accuracy potential of the equipment, I'm not sure I would agree that 1.5 MOA is "expected" with M855, which is the weakest link in the chain. Back in the day, I wouldn't get too worked up as long as I was seeing 3.5 inches or less at 100 with .mil issue M855. 2-4 MOA is honestly pretty standard. IMI's load is very consistent with a low SD, which helps. Good QC for sure.

Feedback Score
    I ran the target out to 100 yards.

But more importantly....... What is your 40 time??

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    Someone can prove me wrong but I don't think anyone should be expecting sub MOA results consistently if they are even getting those with M855 or M193 even. There is a reason the military adopted Mk262 for precision use.
    Yeah, no way. I've only seen a few sub MOA groups with M855 and they were all flukes. As in...shooter error combined with the inaccuracy of the ammunition came together in such a way that the rounds all got flung into a tiny little cluster...which wouldn't have been so tiny if the trigger had actually broke at the desired point of aim. Random, really.

I would question the veracity of anybody claiming consistent or even common sub MOA performance with M855 or M193.
    Last edited by a0cake; 10-27-11 at 10:29.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    We consistently see 1.0-1.5" groups out of them and .50-.85" groups out of the 6940.
    Is the barrel of the 6940 different or are you attributing the precision gain to the upper?

Quote Originally Posted by TY44934 View Post
    Eh, not really. Within the .mil, there is a terrible tendency to destroy our weapon's precision capability due to improper maintenance/cleaning and failure to maintain expenditure logs on anything other than precision barrels. US LC manufactured M855 is terrible, as pointed out by a0cake, seemingly mostly due to the inconsistency in placement of the steel "penetrator", along with some issues with pressure consistency. Some lots will be great, some lots will be bad, and they will all have a few "substandard" rounds that will blow groups despite the best efforts of the shooter. That deviation can be anywhere from barely perceptable to a couple of minutes of angle. This has been observed, tested, verified, and confirmed.

So I would definately not say that one should anticipate such performance, and if you happen to get it, enjoy it.

As long as you have a target that you can esily center the dot in, it is pretty easy to get good groups. The size of the dot has nothing to do with the ability to shoot good groups, what does matter is the size of the dot in relation to the target.

Molon did a good demonstration of this.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34995
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Is the barrel of the 6940 different or are you attributing the precision gain to the upper?
    No, same barrel as the 6920. It is just free floated.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 10-27-11 at 14:20.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Not to derail from the op but...
    Does anyone know where IMI M855 is in stock?
    I cant seem to find any threw google.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsop View Post
    Not sure if Wideners has any left. They had unpainted M855 for a while. The good old green tip hasn't been around for a while now.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsop View Post
    http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...dir=18|830|845

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast