My wife and I are talking about moving to Bozeman so she can attend MSU. I'm curious about the attitude of locals and local and state law enforcement to target shooting, evil black rifles, suppressors, etc.

I'm particularly trying to figure out where I can go to shoot. I'd really prefer being able to go out into a wilderness area or state park and shoot versus shooting at a range. I've had a dream for a while about moving somewhere out west and being able to pack up a small rifle and pack, go for a hike out into the boonies, maybe stop and camp, shoot into a hillside at some cans for a while, maybe do some fishing, etc. Having never been to MT is this at all realistic?

I'm also specifically curious about being able to target shoot on public land with a suppressed rifle. I'm a little concerned about the possibility for it to be construed by law enforcement as intent to poach though. Suppressors can carry a strong association with poaching or 'assassins' in some people's minds. I've read that hunting with a suppressor is verboten and that having a suppressor while "afield" may actually be the way the law is worded, meaning that you can only shoot suppressed on private property. Anyone know anything specific about this?

Thanks for your time guys.

P.S. Why the hell does Bozeman's official city website have a carbon footprint calculator on it?! What kind of city is Bozeman? Is this reflective of the general populace there or perhaps just the city officials?