Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy NFA items, but moving to another state in 1 year

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Looking to buy NFA items, but moving to another state in 1 year

Hi guys, I have to move for my job in the next 12 months or so, TX or IL (chicago area). I am also looking to apply for SBR/suppressor stamps now living in Ohio.

My questions: If I apply for Form 1 and 4 and get approved and I have to move, what are the legal procedures in order to move to each state?

I think for TX, I simply fill out 5320.20 for an address change for my SBR lower, what about the suppressor?

And now, I can't seem to find any concrete info on IL- is it a NFA friendly state?

If both are a go, I'll apply for these stamps in the very near future!

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    If in Texas, you're cool. They don't restrict NFA weapons. Apply for your change of address on your NFA weapons and suppressors and it's a go.

If it's Illinois, then you're screwed, especially Chicago. They don't even allow handguns there. They ban virtually any NFA weapon in Illinois. In fact they're pretty much anti-2nd amendment there.
    Last edited by Dolphinvet; 10-27-11 at 11:13.
    May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That's what I figured. I will not be living in the Chicago city limits, just Chicago surrounding burbs. From what I've gathered, I can own firearms there. I'd just have to get a FOID and just didn't know if NFA was allowed. I guess I'll just have to see where I go then before I apply. This is dissappointing.
    Last edited by shaneinhisroom; 10-27-11 at 11:26.

Feedback Score
    I think this website is legit.

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/states/illinois/

You can click on any state in the upper right and the blog piece on the left with give you info for that state. I'm not sure how often it is updated, but it can be a good starting point if you are looking for some state specifc informaiton.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You have zero chance of owning any NFA item within the confines of the border of Illinois. You also have zero chance of getting a concealed carry permit. I grew up in the suburbs around Chicago and some of them have strict gun laws, or at least they did when I lived there. So check with the city you plan to live in. There's lots of goofy gun laws in IL so make sure you do lots of reading.
    Police work: If it were easy it would be called your mom.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've been trying to gather as much info as I can, and so far it's not looking so hot. TX is looking best now, with some other choices being Atlanta, Detroit, somewhere in NC, or Philly. The only place that would hinder me would be Chicago...thankfully though, there's little chance of me going there. Maybe I should go ahead with the forms anyway....

Feedback Score
    If you come to Michigan, MG and Suppressor are good, but no SBR/SBS unless C&R.

Jeff

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I will probably actively quit the company if I go to Detroit :P So that's out of the picture.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I was actually wondering this same thing, but about engraving...what happens if you have an engraved SBR lower with your current state (lets say TX) and are moving to CO. Do you have to get the lower re-engraved? Or just change the paperwork?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    OP,

Where is your family (parents) located?
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast