Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not a build, an assembly...but still. Lightweight hammer-forged midlength...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Test fired and zeroed MBUS and Aimpoint, as well as tested function with the HALO. Obviously the standard carbine buffer is not enough with the suppressor mounted, so I'm going to do my standard buffer test tomorrow and see how heavy I can go. I was using XM193 today, and I have some .223 and some Silver Bear on the plate for tomorrow just to challenge the buffers.

Interestingly enough, off the bag the gun showed NO POI change with the suppressor mounted at the zero distance of 50 yards. This is not the result I would have expected with such a light barrel - my hypothesis is that because the MOE is not a free-float, the barrel is actually getting support either from the hand or the rest. I'm going to test this theory tomorrow as well.

So far, it sure seems like a winner.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    sweet build. Just got my BCM BFH 14.5 upper today. Putting it together with a MOE from IWC, on a BCM lower. Stock choice is still undetermined. Light and KISS is the way to go. My barrel is govt profile, but still light compared to my other carbine.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    Test fired and zeroed MBUS and Aimpoint, as well as tested function with the HALO. Obviously the standard carbine buffer is not enough with the suppressor mounted, so I'm going to do my standard buffer test tomorrow and see how heavy I can go. I was using XM193 today, and I have some .223 and some Silver Bear on the plate for tomorrow just to challenge the buffers.

Interestingly enough, off the bag the gun showed NO POI change with the suppressor mounted at the zero distance of 50 yards. This is not the result I would have expected with such a light barrel - my hypothesis is that because the MOE is not a free-float, the barrel is actually getting support either from the hand or the rest. I'm going to test this theory tomorrow as well.

So far, it sure seems like a winner.
    With a can and 5.56 ammo, you should be able to go all the way up to an H3 buffer.

Do not use a rest. Use the magazine as the support and see what kind of shift you get at 100yds.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 11-15-11 at 16:35.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Buffer test results:

I tested H, h2, and 9mm with ammo ranging from Silver Bear to XM193, to Mk262, suppressed and unsuppressed. Results - the gun works up to 9mm with all ammo even unsuppressed, but occasionally fails to lock open with SB if it's held loosely. I'm thinking that H3 or 9mm is probably not enough margin of safety to allow it to run when really filthy, so I'm probably going to settle on H2.

I'll retest the POI shift with no support, and if I get a dramatic shift I'll know my theory was correct. And actually, I'd be okay with that, because I'm rarely going to be shooting one-handed, offhand, suppressed at such a distance that POI shift will be an issue.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by krichbaum View Post

What handguard QD mount are you running there? Is that IWC?

Nice gun. Very similar to my most recent build.

Sent from my Sprint EVO via Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Yes, IWC.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Hey man, your rifle looks real nice.

If I could make one suggestion, it would be to get an IWC mount for your light. You'll get a better grip and light activation as the mount pushes the light out in front of the handguard and it eliminates the rail section.

Food for thought.

Edit: Exactly what Krichbaum has in his picture.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 11-16-11 at 11:29.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Hey man, your rifle looks real nice.

If I could make one suggestion, it would be to get an IWC mount for your light. You'll get a better grip and light activation as the mount pushes the light out in front of the handguard and it eliminates the rail section.

Food for thought.

Edit: Exactly what Krichbaum has in his picture.
    Only thing with that - I'm not a big guy, I am two or three inches taller than Pat Rogers, for perspective. I find the Magpul-style left arm straight and hand at the end of the handguard to be uncomfortable and slower (for me, not for anyone else.) than having my hands closer together.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I'm OK with people who like a heavier barrel. It's just people who like M4/A2 profiles but talk down about lightweight barrels.
    there's no accuracy/longevity/heat sink/soak benefit at all from the gov profile is there? It would seem if anything you'd want to have the barrel taper the other way- heavy at the chamber....

The whole gov profile thing happened during vietnam because guys were using the front of their barrels as pry bars right?

i have a gov profile barrel, but not by choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12