Thread: barrel length legality

Feedback Score

barrel length legality

hi FNG here. i did a search and wasn't coming up with anything...

but can someone explain to me if my assumption is correct:

I want to buy a Noveske 14.5 barrel with the FX3 suppressor. the site says the NFA rules apply to the barrel, and that i should check with the local and state gun laws. So NC's laws state that anything under a rifle with a barrel length of less than sixteen (16) inches or an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches is considered prohibited.

am i still good because the overall length with the suppressor will be 16"? Or, do i have to get the suppressor welded so that it is permanent?

or am i just SOL in NC?

thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The barrel length issue is Federal Law, although several states have mirrored the United States Code in their own Penal Codes.

A rifle barrel shorter than 16 inches or a shotgun barrel shorter than 18 inches is seen by the Courts to have no legitimate military or sporting application. To legally possess a SBR (short barreled rifle) or an AOW (any other weapon i.e. short barreled shotgun) you fall under the provisions of the NFA (National Firearms Act) and must pay a one time $200 tax stamp and have the approval of your local CLEO (chief law enforcement officer) and the BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol Firearms Tobacco & Explosives).

On the other hand, you can take a 14.5 inch rifle barrel and permanently attach a device that will extend the OAL (over all length) to > (greater than) 16 inches.

There are specific requirements as to how this can be done legally and several vendors offer this service for a nominal fee.

Aren’t acronyms great???

PS: If you FU and your CAR is BO, then the LT will give you KP, on the DL… Just FYI...
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    In Texas you can have a barrel shorter than 16 inches provided a muzzle brake or flash supressor is permentantly attached to the barrel extending the barrel length to 16" total.

My Bushmaster came with the Izzy muzzle brake/flash supressor thingy. The barrel is actually 14.5 inches not counting the izzy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If the flash suppressor you want to attach is Noveske's KX3 and not the "FX3," then there is a package designed specifically for that. It is called the Infidel, and it is a 13.7" barrel with the KX3 permanently attached to bring the overall length to greater than 16".

I did not see the Infidel on Noveske’s website, but my guess is that John or one of the vendors on this site (such as Grant) will be happy to accommodate you with a 13.7" barrel.
    Insights Training Center
    Tenicor

Feedback Score
    oops yeah i meant KX3

well that gives me hope! although i think i'd prefer a 14.5, even if that brings me out to 16.8 total; 13.7 is quite short isn't it?

i guess i'll just email the guys at noveske to see if they will do that for me!

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Shoot John an email and I am sure he can help you out. The customer service an Noveske is some of the best around.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston