Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Extractor Issues Gen 4 - Gen 3

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Glock Extractor Issues Gen 4 - Gen 3

Proud owner of Gen 3 17,19,26 and a 21sf.

I couldn't help but stumble upon an issue today while reading some threads online. Perhaps I have been under a rock, because I had not heard of this internet "glock extractor mania" until today.

The opinions and expertise found on the resource of M4carbine.net is where I believe the rumors can be boiled away and the facts brought out.

The issue is that supposedly many 2010-2011 glocks, including Gen 3's were issued or shipped with extractors that are different from Gen 3's from 2009 and earlier.

see photos on this thread, page (4) especially:
    http://www.firearmstrainingandtactic...?t=1546&page=4

My questions are:

What is the story really? Is this internet pajama ninja dilirium?

Did glock change the extractors?

What is the Gen 4 concave topped extractor pictured on the above thread? Page (4)

Could this all be poor pistol marksmanship and limp wristing with blaming the gun?

Anyway, I hope we can get some relevent answers, rational discussion and hard evidence (pictures are nice).

I own glocks, shoot glocks and also own and shoot 1911s. THIS IS NOT A GUN BASHING THREAD.

Please refrain from turning this into an ego fest. Facts only and 1st person experiences. Thank you and lets get to the bottom of this.

Added on 2/14/2012:

As the creator of this thread I ask at this point that any and all threads about YOUR gun include the following information:

- First 3 letters of serial # and or test fire date from factory.
    - Generation of Glock (3 or 4)
    - Number of rounds TOTAL fired through pistol
    - Any changes made to pistol by you or armorer or Glock (parts etc.)
    - Issues you are having.
    - Ammo used during issues (manufacturer, weight etc.)
    Last edited by TacMedic556; 02-14-12 at 20:17. Reason: page number insertion. addition.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    How do your glocks shoot? How have they been working? How many rounds have you put through your g17 and g19?

I ask these questions because if your glocks are performing well, it does not matter what might be happening elsewere.

I have had a couple of gen 3 g19s with the dip extractor that have performed absolutely great.

Problems with late model gen 3's have been rare. Things tend to get blown out of proportion on the internet and forums. People think the sky is falling and start looking to find issues.

If your glocks are running great,keep on.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I shoot winchester Olin Nato stamped 124 grain ball ammo. I buy in bulk.

For defensive carry I have shot and carry Speer gold dot. I have also burned through some 140+ grain stuff.

I have never had so much as a burp, FTE, FTF, nothing. I have done rapid fire, shooting on the move, drills, mag changes, shoot until slide lock back etc. No hickups. I believe mine are fine. My extractors don't have this supposed "curve" or "concave" depression on them either.

I hope we get more information from others.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P View Post
    How do your glocks shoot? How have they been working? How many rounds have you put through your g17 and g19?

I ask these questions because if your glocks are performing well, it does not matter what might be happening elsewere.

I have had a couple of gen 3 g19s with the dip extractor that have performed absolutely great.

Problems with late model gen 3's have been rare. Things tend to get blown out of proportion on the internet and forums. People think the sky is falling and start looking to find issues.

If your glocks are running great,keep on.
    Thank you and you are correctomundo, 6 glocks gen2 & 3 lots of rounds and no problem anywhere.
    There are only 2 things we should fight for. One is defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights.

Gen. Smedley Butler, USMC

Feedback Score
    Shot my Glock 17 gen 3 today (only 200 rds) and no failure to extract or eject, no brass to the face and pretty consistent ejection. Then again only 200 rds so far.
    Last edited by advan031; 07-13-13 at 15:34.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Well I won't confirm or deny any of these reported issues until I reach a 1000 rounds but I have a brand new Gen-III 19 build of March this year (just purchased 2 weeks ago). I went to the range this weekend but I was only able to scavenge up 150 rounds. Fifty were 115gr and 100 were 124gr FMJ's but I do not remember the brands (all brass).

All ejection was at around 3-4 o'clock with no malfunctions of any kind.

Like I said I will wait to know for sure once I reach a 1000 rounds as that should be a good indicating point of whether these issues will arise or not. I am waiting for Palmetto to have their 350rd can in stock; depending on how much I have to spend I might buy 2.

Hopefully I have a good one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I noticed that my BTF occurs during the last round in the magazine. Received a facial burn and a neck burn from BTF. Tried swapping in a lone-wolf extractor, but that exacerbated the problem.

Anyone know any known-good extractors with Loaded Chamber Indicator?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Owning or having a certain by-name or by-brand weapon doesn't make one a trained assaulter.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Speaking as one of the contributors to the thread you cite, I can assure you there are no "ninjas" posting in the thread. Did you think the pictures and firsthand experiences related there were fabricated?

Glock extractors didn't use to do these things. As I relate on my blog, I had to polish mine to make it drop in without binding slightly in my slide.

Quote Originally Posted by TacMedic556 View Post
    Proud owner of Gen 3 17,19,26 and a 21sf.

I couldn't help but stumble upon an issue today while reading some threads online. Perhaps I have been under a rock, because I had not heard of this internet "glock extractor mania" until today.

The opinions and expertise found on the resource of M4carbine.net is where I believe the rumors can be boiled away and the facts brought out.

The issue is that supposedly many 2010-2011 glocks, including Gen 3's were issued or shipped with extractors that are different from Gen 3's from 2009 and earlier.

see photos on this thread, page (4) especially:
    http://www.firearmstrainingandtactic...?t=1546&page=4

My questions are:

What is the story really? Is this internet pajama ninja dilirium?

Did glock change the extractors?

What is the Gen 4 concave topped extractor pictured on the above thread? Page (4)

Could this all be poor pistol marksmanship and limp wristing with blaming the gun?

Anyway, I hope we can get some relevent answers, rational discussion and hard evidence (pictures are nice).

I own glocks, shoot glocks and also own and shoot 1911s. THIS IS NOT A GUN BASHING THREAD.

Please refrain from turning this into an ego fest. Facts only and 1st person experiences. Thank you and lets get to the bottom of this.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacMedic556 View Post
    I can't say that none of them are user induced, but I can say that there are some that are definately NOT user induced.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    If your guns work - then good.

I have 2 guns with the new "dip' extractor and, like you, I have not had a single problem with them.

It's just another thing to keep your eyes peeled for.

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast