Page 111 of 210 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 2099

Thread: Glock Extractor Issues Gen 4 - Gen 3

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM1911 View Post
    The ony reason Glock went to it is because Mass. demanded they integrate it in the design, or they wouldn't be allowed to sell their pistols within the state.
    1. Screw each communist state.

2. Issue their pistols crummy parts IF at all.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I've noticed the tendency of the LCI shaving bits of holster material off on the draw and reholster stroke.. Can't be good on the long run to have particles floating into the extractor channel gumming up the works.. The ony reason Glock went to it is because Mass. demanded they integrate it in the design, or they wouldn't be allowed to sell their pistols within the state.
    Well it didn't work too well, considering that new Glocks aren't considered MA. compliant. Glocks were MA. compliant for a few days before the States Attorney General changed her mind and revoked its compliant status.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I've noticed the tendency of the LCI shaving bits of holster material off on the draw and reholster stroke.. Can't be good on the long run to have particles floating into the extractor channel gumming up the works.. The ony reason Glock went to it is because Mass. demanded they integrate it in the design, or they wouldn't be allowed to sell their pistols within the state.
    You are worrying too much and over thinking this.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Warning: This may ruffle some feathers, but this is my opinion on the matter. Take it or leave it.

Just wanted to relay some thoughts to you guys. There's been talk in this thread that some of you won't carry your erratic ejecting Glock because you're concerned with getting hit in the head, flinching, ect.

First, I want to say that the erratic ejection is definitely a problem, and shouldn't be something that we have to buy aftermarket parts to fix.

Second, I will most definitley be buying one (or three) of Randy's extractors to fix this problem, but more to increase reliable function and eliminate extraneous factors that I may have to deal with at some point, should that day come.

However, I've said in the past, and will continue to say, that the concern with carrying the gun due to erratic ejection is (IMO) un-founded. If you like the Glock as a carry weapon, shoot it well, and the gun has proven to not malfunction (FTE, FTF, Stovepipe, ect.) there's no reason not to carry it. Like I've said, if you ever were to have to draw and fire in a defensive situation, then brass to the face would be the least of your worries. That's not even accounting for shooting and moving, shooting while moving, and the general surge of stress and adrenaline that will push those thoughts from your mind, much less even allow you to notice a spent casing to the face.

My theory was put into play this last weekend while attending a Jason Falla Carbine course. No it wasn't a defensive situation, but as we all know, we train in these types of environments to prepare us, both physically and mentally, for these possible defensive situations. We train to be fast and accurate, efficiency with weapons manipulations, how to handle stress and adrenaline, and how to focus on the task at hand while blocking out extraneous factors that don't, or shouldn't, matter...like sweat in the eyes, aching muscles, or perhaps, a spent casing to the forehead....And I think we can all agree, whether we've had to shoot or be shot at before, that the real deal will be much faster, more stressful, and the surge of adrenaline much higher!

Well during the course of this two day class, I proceeded to fire a few hundred rounds through my eratic ejecting Gen4 G19. Since this was a carbine course, the handgun was used in the typical support role of "oh crap, my carbine is down, need to transition...and quick!" On a normal range trip to a "square range" where I would normally be doing the typical fundamental work on my own, I estimate that out of a few hundred rounds, I would notice somewhere between 20-30 spent cases sent back to my forehead. It is up to me to treat that as an extraneous factor and ignore it and focus on what needs to be focused on. Its all about mindset.

During these two days at class, where there was an element of stress and adrenaline involved, movement, and focus only on the things that mattered at the time that they mattered, guess how many rounds I noticed hitting me in the face? Exactly, Zero! Is this because my Glock miraculously cured itself of its eratic ejection? Of course not! I'm sure I was hit in the head or body with my own spent cases more than a few times...but I couldn't tell you about one of them.

All this to say, focus on what needs to be focused on (whether consciously or sub-consciously), keep your mindset right, train hard and these extraneous factors may not be as much of an issue as you might think as you sit typing on the keyboard.

Mindset, mindset, mindset. If you get hit with a piece of brass, or even shot, you have to drive on and complete the task at hand!
    Last edited by Ironman8; 07-21-12 at 12:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Warning: This may ruffle some feathers, but this is my opinion on the matter. Take it or leave it.

Just wanted to relay some thoughts to you guys. There's been talk in this thread that some of you won't carry your erratic ejecting Glock because you're concerned with getting hit in the head, flinching, ect.

First, I want to say that the erratic ejection is definitely a problem, and shouldn't be something that we have to buy aftermarket parts to fix.

Second, I will most definitley be buying one (or three) of Randy's extractors to fix this problem, but more to increase reliable function and eliminate extraneous factors that I may have to deal with at some point, should that day come.

However, I've said in the past, and will continue to say, that the concern with carrying the gun due to erratic ejection is (IMO) un-founded. If you like the Glock as a carry weapon, shoot it well, and the gun has proven to not malfunction (FTE, FTF, Stovepipe, ect.) there's no reason not to carry it. Like I've said, if you ever were to have to draw and fire in a defensive situation, then brass to the face would be the least of your worries. That's not even accounting for shooting and moving, shooting while moving, and the general surge of stress and adrenaline that will push those thoughts from your mind, much less even allow you to notice a spent casing to the face.

My theory was put into play this last weekend while attending a Jason Falla Carbine course. No it wasn't a defensive situation, but as we all know, we train in these types of environments to prepare us, both physically and mentally, for these possible defensive situations. We train to be fast and accurate, efficiency with weapons manipulations, how to handle stress and adrenaline, and how to focus on the task at hand while blocking out extraneous factors that don't, or shouldn't, matter...like sweat in the eyes, aching muscles, or perhaps, a spent casing to the forehead....And I think we can all agree, whether we've had to shoot or be shot at before, that the real deal will be much faster, more stressful, and the surge of adrenaline much higher!

Well during the course of this two day class, I proceeded to fire a few hundred rounds through my eratic ejecting Gen4 G19. Since this was a carbine course, the handgun was used in the typical support role of "oh crap, my carbine is down, need to transition...and quick!" On a normal range trip to a "square range" where I would normally be doing the typical fundamental work on my own, I estimate that out of a few hundred rounds, I would notice somewhere between 20-30 spent cases sent back to my forehead. It is up to me to treat that as an extraneous factor and ignore it and focus on what needs to be focused on. Its all about mindset.

During these two days at class, where there was an element of stress and adrenaline involved, movement, and focus only on the things that mattered at the time that they mattered, guess how many rounds I noticed hitting me in the face? Exactly, Zero! Is this because my Glock miraculously cured itself of its eratic ejection? Of course not! I'm sure I was hit in the head or body with my own spent cases more than a few times...but I couldn't tell you about one of them.

All this to say, focus on what needs to be focused on (whether consciously or sub-consciously), keep your mindset right, train hard and these extraneous factors may not be as much of an issue as you might think as you sit typing on the keyboard.

Mindset, mindset, mindset. If you get hit with a piece of brass, or even shot, you have to drive on and complete the task at hand!
    Very well put...fully agree!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nobody is saying not to complete the task at hand due to erratic ejection, but hot brass to the eyeball in a defensive setting where you may or may not be wearing eye protection will definitely distract you. I prefer consistency in the function of the extraction to minimize FTE related malfunctions.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post

awesome post, very good point. Have noticed the very same thing when shooting IDPA and IPSC versus standing static on a square range on a nice sunny Sunday afternoon.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ironman 8:
    Without quoting your post again, I'll say I have to agree, Today I was out taking one Grant's defensive pistol/carbine classes, using my G19.I did'nt have any problems with it, (today we did malfunction drills with pistol and carbine) and I never noticed where the brass was going. I was too busy with the task at hand...I did good today, I shot decently, and learned alot. And, like everyone else, I'll be standing in line when Randy's extractor comes to market..
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    If your having malfunctions then obviously don't carry the gun. Otherwise as has been said, carry it. If the 6:00 ejection on your gun is that bad and you can't wait for the Apex extractor then buy a 30274 ejector. That has corrected that issue in my Longslides but I still have weak ejection. I went back to the 336 ejectors with the non dip extractors and I have constant right ejection but again, it's weak.

I plan on getting a couple Apex extractors for my Longslides just to see if I can get stronger ejection but I'd carry either one right now. My G19 is fine and that's my EDC.

I asked about the LCI because I had it in my guns and thought it was a nice feature. It doesn't seem to cause a problem on my G19. I do find it interesting that Randy thinks that may be part of the problem. I thought it was simply a ridge on the outside of the extractor that had nothing to do with the claw on the other side that engages the brass. I'm not sure when Glock started using the LCI, I don't remember if my early Gen 3s had them or not. I know my early G26 didn't but I thought that was just a G26 thing. I can live without it if my brass ejects like my G19. After all, the LCI only tells you you have brass in the chamber not a live round. Press checks work just fine.

I have tried early non LCI extractors and they do help ejection but don't seem to fit the Gen 3 slides like they should. They work but look pretty funky.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by G34Shooter View Post
    but hot brass to the eyeball in a defensive setting where you may or may not be wearing eye protection will definitely distract you.
    Excellent point! Many post ago, I stated that one came back & ended up under my glasses and burned my eye lid. Resulting in severe pain and burns to the eye lid.

For sure it would have distracted me and resulted in me loosing the edge.

Page 111 of 210 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161 ... LastLast