Page 13 of 210 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Extractor Issues Gen 4 - Gen 3

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    The point is "he had erratic ejections"
    Gotcha. Was just making sure I caught what you were trying to point out. I missed it the first pass through the video. I was expecting to see a stovepipe or some other malfunction.

I haven't noticed any erratic ejections and definitely no brass to the face or head so far in my G17. I don't shoot nearly the amount that Hickok45 does. I would love to have that kind of private range on my property (which I assumed it where he was shooting).

Thanks for posting the video. I'll have to check out more of his videos.

Feedback Score
    I view Hickok45 videos daily. I enjoy his no BS approach to weapons testing. drck1000 i get what your saying about more experienced shooters who aren't smaller in stature still having problems. In my opinion it's really difficult to pin the problem down to just one thing in those circumstances i.e bad or weak ammo, marginal shooting techniques, new oem parts from glock, or just a plain old fashion jam or failure. I just never completly bought into the new non MIM extractor is the route of all evil for these pistols, so I started looking for another reason that was more logical to me. Maybe my observations are complete crap and can't be reproduced but it makes sense. I think it's at least worth a trip to range with a known working gen 4 9mm and a small friend to see if it continues to work correctly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think I found a cure for the Gen 4 ejection disease.

I'm 100 rounds in so far with my test with NO ISSUES.

I'm gonna shoot 300 more today.

Parts used:
    - 0-4-3 RSA
    - 30274 Ejector
    - New "non-dip" OEM Extractor <- possible solution
    Last edited by Cosmo M3; 12-28-11 at 12:39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Mike View Post
    I view Hickok45 videos daily. I enjoy his no BS approach to weapons testing. drck1000 i get what your saying about more experienced shooters who aren't smaller in stature still having problems. In my opinion it's really difficult to pin the problem down to just one thing in those circumstances i.e bad or weak ammo, marginal shooting techniques, new oem parts from glock, or just a plain old fashion jam or failure. I just never completly bought into the new non MIM extractor is the route of all evil for these pistols, so I started looking for another reason that was more logical to me. Maybe my observations are complete crap and can't be reproduced but it makes sense. I think it's at least worth a trip to range with a known working gen 4 9mm and a small friend to see if it continues to work correctly.
    I too have been troubled and frankly confused at the issues reported. TONS of reports on problems and many from very credible/experienced/awesome shooters. While my personal experience, albeit limited, have been that the Gen 4s and recent production Gen 3s run just fine. Sure, none of my friends or I use our pistols for duty use, but still.

The inexperienced shooter that was with us last time had a few jams in my friend's Springfield Match 1911, which we believe was due to limp wristing. But he shot the G17 just fine. Again, not to say that applies to everyone else or that the other reported Glock malfunctions were due to limp wristing or other issues. Just saying that my friend probably was also limp wristing the G17 and was doing fine.

A buddy who is a firearms instructor for US CBP comes back next week and we are planning on going to the range with him, so I will pick his brain on things. Their issued pistol is the HK P2000, but he's shot a lot of previous generation Glocks. Will see what he has to say about the Gen 4s and recent Gen3s. FWIW, he's a heavier set guy as well.

Like you said, who knows. But I'll definitely make note of the next time we go shooting with one of our lighter stature friends.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo M3 View Post
    I think I found a cure for the Gen 4 ejection disease.

I'm 100 rounds in so far with my test with NO ISSUES.

I'm gonna shoot 300 more today.

Parts used:
    - 0-4-3 RSA
    - 30274 Ejector
    - New "non-dip" OEM Extractor <- possible solution
    When did they start coming out with the newer "non-dip" extractors?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilo 1-1 View Post
    Amen. This is a major revelation if not a typo. I stand behind my "non-dip" LWD extractor. The OEM part is in a drawer somewhere.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilo 1-1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Amen. This is a major revelation if not a typo. I stand behind my "non-dip" LWD extractor. The OEM part is in a drawer somewhere.
    UPDATE:

Just came back from the range and shot 2 G19 Gen 4s back to back

Experiment #1:
    Glock 19 Gen 4 (August 2010)
    -OEM 30274 Ejector
    -OEM Extractor (#1) with the dip (polished)
    -OEM 0-4-3 RSA

Ammo: Independence 115gr and Wolf (WPA) 115r
    Rounds: 200
    Result: Erractic ejection, but less than usual with the new 30274 ejector. One FTE and a handful of ejections to the face.

Experiment #2:
    Glock 19 Gen 4 (July 2010)
    -OEM 30274 Ejector
    -OEM Extractor (#3) for a .40 caliber (does NOT have a dip)
    -OEM 0-4-3 RSA

Ammo: Wolf (WPA) 115r
    Rounds: 400
    Result: Consistent ejection to 4 o'clock. ZERO malfunctions. ZERO erratic ejections.

So far those are the results. I will shoot some more to verify that this is not just a "honeymoon" period, but so far not a single issue.

OEM .40 Extractor (top) vs. OEM 9MM extractor (bottom)
    You can see the obvious differences between the two.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo M3 View Post
    UPDATE:

Just came back from the range and shot 2 G19 Gen 4s back to back

Experiment #1:
    Glock 19 Gen 4 (August 2010)
    -OEM 30274 Ejector
    -OEM Extractor (#1) with the dip (polished)
    -OEM 0-4-3 RSA

Ammo: Independence 115gr and Wolf (WPA) 115r
    Rounds: 200
    Result: Erractic ejection, but less than usual with the new 30274 ejector. One FTE and a handful of ejections to the face.

Experiment #2:
    Glock 19 Gen 4 (July 2010)
    -OEM 30274 Ejector
    -OEM Extractor (#3) for a .40 caliber (does NOT have a dip)
    -OEM 0-4-3 RSA

Ammo: Wolf (WPA) 115r
    Rounds: 400
    Result: Consistent ejection to 4 o'clock. ZERO malfunctions. ZERO erratic ejections.

So far those are the results. I will shoot some more to verify that this is not just a "honeymoon" period, but so far not a single issue.

OEM .40 Extractor (top) vs. OEM 9MM extractor (bottom)
    You can see the obvious differences between the two.
    Great POST and very objective, thank you.

My Gen 4 G17 back for 2nd time and just rcvd call from Glock, he wanted to verify type of ammo with erratic ejections. He also said "we are going to install an test a different extractor. When I pushed him on .40 extractor he danced around the question.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    Great POST and very objective, thank you.

My Gen 4 G17 back for 2nd time and just rcvd call from Glock, he wanted to verify type of ammo with erratic ejections. He also said "we are going to install an test a different extractor. When I pushed him on .40 extractor he danced around the question.
    Differences between the 9MM and .40 extractors:

I also believe that the .40 caliber extractor is also MIM or cast, because you can see some obvious cast lines....BUT...they are nowhere near as bad as the 9MM variant. Somewhere along the line, someone messed up the cast for the 9MM version and still passed QC.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm still confused to as which part of the extractor is the dipped part.
    http://www.m4carbine.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20651&dateline=1303766618

Page 13 of 210 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast