Page 98 of 102 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2021

Thread: Glock Extractor Issues Gen 4 - Gen 3

Feedback Score
    Same for my 3rd gen G19 (made 4-12).

Started getting BTF at about round 700 or so.

Replaced only the 336 ejector and put in the Apex extractor and over 2000 rounds later...BTF has not come back at all.

Fixed? Probably...I'll post it if BTF ever comes back but no sign of it yet.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    First off, great thread and thanks to all who had productive input.

So, here is my issue:

I bought what I believe to have been a new Glock 17L upper half RXD***. It seemed new and still had the gold grease in it. I believe it is a Gen 3 but I cannot be sure. The factory spring it came with is not the double spring found in the Gen 4. It has a LCI extractor.

It sits on a CCF Raceframe aluminum frame. I have a 336 extractor.

Ejection is high and to the right as you would expect.

With a full mag it runs like a sewing machine for the first few rounds. When I get down to around 10 rounds or so I have one of several malfunctions - stove pipe, FTE, FTF.

My initial instinct is that running hotter/heavier ammo would fix most of this. However, my Gen 2 Glock 17 ran fine on just about everything you put in it. Since all of the parts are new I am thinking I just need to replace the extractor. I am looking at the Lone Wolf LCI extractor over the Apex.

Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What about the magazine springs?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    What about the magazine springs?
    Brand new Glock factory mags.

Feedback Score
    I purchased a new Glock 17 gen 3 to avoid known
    issues with the Gen 4s .

G17 Gen3 serial # USV*** . Collection date
    for spent cartridge 02/27/13 .

Ran perfect until around 300 rounds in .
    Past that I was pelted in the face and chest and
    a lot of the rounds just dribbled down my arm .
    The more I shot it the worse it got .

Weaker ammo tended to do the dribble while
    stronger ammo tended to eject towards me .
    No failures of function otherwise .

Based on research here and other sites I opted to
    swap out my 336 ejector for a 30274 from a
    Gen 4 housing .
    I also noticed that on the top and bottom of the MIM
    extractor there was a distinct mold line on the top
    and bottom . IMHO- Distinct enough to cause drag .
    I carefully smoothed this line down by hand with
    Mother's Mag Polish ,a pen, and a rag .

Between storms and fighting gnat swarms I managed
    to shoot about 300 rounds on Sunday .

The resulting ejection was perfect .
    I shot a full mag of Speer Lawman 115 FMJ
    in a fresh spot as a test and found all 17 casings
    within a 2 foot circle in the gravel to my rear right .
    I used 115 grain FMJs in Speer Lawman ,
    Blazer brass, Sellier & Bellot , and Winchester
    White Box .

I'll post back here if this changes with wear but I think
    that an $8 part and some polishing may have fixed my problem .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P View Post
    How do your glocks shoot? How have they been working? How many rounds have you put through your g17 and g19?

I ask these questions because if your glocks are performing well, it does not matter what might be happening elsewere.

I have had a couple of gen 3 g19s with the dip extractor that have performed absolutely great.

Problems with late model gen 3's have been rare. Things tend to get blown out of proportion on the internet and forums. People think the sky is falling and start looking to find issues.

If your glocks are running great,keep on.
    Thank you and you are correctomundo, 6 glocks gen2 & 3 lots of rounds and no problem anywhere.
    There are only 2 things we should fight for. One is defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights.

Gen. Smedley Butler, USMC

Feedback Score
    Shot my Glock 17 gen 3 today (only 200 rds) and no failure to extract or eject, no brass to the face and pretty consistent ejection. Then again only 200 rds so far.
    Last edited by advan031; 07-13-13 at 15:34.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Well I won't confirm or deny any of these reported issues until I reach a 1000 rounds but I have a brand new Gen-III 19 build of March this year (just purchased 2 weeks ago). I went to the range this weekend but I was only able to scavenge up 150 rounds. Fifty were 115gr and 100 were 124gr FMJ's but I do not remember the brands (all brass).

All ejection was at around 3-4 o'clock with no malfunctions of any kind.

Like I said I will wait to know for sure once I reach a 1000 rounds as that should be a good indicating point of whether these issues will arise or not. I am waiting for Palmetto to have their 350rd can in stock; depending on how much I have to spend I might buy 2.

Hopefully I have a good one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I noticed that my BTF occurs during the last round in the magazine. Received a facial burn and a neck burn from BTF. Tried swapping in a lone-wolf extractor, but that exacerbated the problem.

Anyone know any known-good extractors with Loaded Chamber Indicator?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Owning or having a certain by-name or by-brand weapon doesn't make one a trained assaulter.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Went to the range again yesterday. Put another 200 rounds through my 3rd Gen G17 with the 30274 ejector installed.

No issues at all, no erratic ejections. It is looking like I am good to go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchen986 View Post
    I noticed that my BTF occurs during the last round in the magazine. Received a facial burn and a neck burn from BTF. Tried swapping in a lone-wolf extractor, but that exacerbated the problem.

Anyone know any known-good extractors with Loaded Chamber Indicator?
    Why do you want one ? The LCI's seem to be causing the issues

Feedback Score

eratic ejection

Hi folks, well I have bit the bullet and bought a gen4 mod 19 , actually bought it about two months ago, only have about 400 rounds thru it. so far no problems [200 rounds fed red box and 200 rounds reloads appx 100 each 124 gn and 147gn, at upper mid range loads]. This pistol was test fired 27 March 13 has the 30274 ejector and 0-3-4 rsa, VBB series. Anyway I've really gotten the bug for a gen4 - 21 has anyone had or heard of any of the btf,fte,or any of the problems that have been found in the 9mm and 40 series of glocks, thanks.

Feedback Score
    I have two gen 3 17's and one gen 3 26 and havent had an issue with any of them and have thousands of rounds through them.
    I bought gen 3 to avoid the issues that were posted with the gen 4's.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I have two gen 3 17's and one gen 3 26 and havent had an issue with any of them and have thousands of rounds through them.
    I bought gen 3 to avoid the issues that were posted with the gen 4's.
    Gen 3's are not exempt from issues.

Feedback Score
    I realise that, but at the time I was buying the issues were limmited to the gen 4's; at least that was all I was reading about.
    I studied everything available at the time and thats exactly why I went gen 3.
    I have shot the heck out of these guns and I perhaps was either on it at the right time or lucky.
    One of those 17's is my IDPA pistol and I have no idea anymore waht the round count on it is, but it must be about or near 7K at this point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I realise that, but at the time I was buying the issues were limmited to the gen 4's; at least that was all I was reading about.
    I studied everything available at the time and thats exactly why I went gen 3.
    I have shot the heck out of these guns and I perhaps was either on it at the right time or lucky.
    One of those 17's is my IDPA pistol and I have no idea anymore waht the round count on it is, but it must be about or near 7K at this point.
    You've been fortunate. Like you I had a Gen3 19 & 26 that ran like a champ with about 6K combined through them and bought another G3 19 manufactured spring 2012 and it ejected brass like a popcorn machine in every direction. Apex and the Gen4 ejector got it straightened out but clearly shows than the Gen you choose doesn't clear you of issues.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

2.1K rounds through g17 gen4 and brass to face begins

I reached the 2k round count on a glock 17 gen 4 manufactured feb 2013 and have been noticing brass beginning to eject in a creeping fashion toward the 5 oclock in last 300 or so rounds. From 1.9k-2.1k rounds fired I got 8 brass pinged off my face/forehead. Ammo is aguila I fmj 124gr from shot 1-2.1k with about 200 rounds of Federal HST 124gr +p. No HST brass to face.
    I borrowed an apex upgrade extractor from a co-worker and will run about 300-500 rounds tomorrow. We shall see.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I installed the Apex FRE on my Gen4 G19, along with their spring and the bearing they recommended on the website. I also have the 30274 ejector in the gun. My gun is a 6/13 production so it's brand new. I put 150 rounds through it today and had strong ejection - no brass trickling out over my weapon hand. However I did have some BTF. To be honest, this doesn't really bother me all that much. As long as the brass is coming out and I don't have a jam/malfunction I'm happy. It is aggravating that it doesn't work like it should, but as long as the gun stays reliable then I'm happy. I think I had between 3-5 BTF but wasn't really keeping count.
    "As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
    -Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Smile

I called Glock this morning and the guy wouldn't replace my ejectors on my newer glocks. He said that the 30274's haven't been substantial proof that it helps gen 3's to send out replacements but sent out new recoil springs. I'm going to call again in the morning and direct them to this thread to see I can get them replaced

Feedback Score
    Glock 19
    Gen 4
    Serial #: U
    Manufactured in May of 2013. Purchased NIB in June.
    043 RSA.
    30274 Ejector.
    Dipped Extractor.

Put 100 rounds of 115 gr 9mm FMJ CCI Blazer Brass and experienced half a dozen BTF incidents. Put 100 rounds of 115 gr 9mm FMJ WWB through it and experienced about three BTF incidents. Installed the Apex Glock Failure Resistant Extractor Gen 4 extractor and spring with recommended spring load bearing. Put 200 rounds of 115 gr 9mm FMJ Federal with zero BTF issues. I even tried to get it to BTF by canting the pistol 45 degrees to the left (I'm right handed) and could not get it to BTF. Ejection was just as strong as with factory extractor, but the ejections pattern was much more reliable with a 3:30 to 4:00. So far so good. I'm going to continue to shoot it with light loads and see what I get.

Installation was very easy. I had no trouble whatsoever installing the extractor. Took a few minutes and I was done. What I didn't like was the shipping cost for such a small part and having to purchase the spring load bearing from another online retailer with additional shipping costs. Would be nice if Apex Tactical could lower their shipping costs and have the spring load bearings on hand to include with your purchase. Other than that, I felt the base price of the extractor was pretty reasonable for what you get.

Overall, pretty pleased so far, but time will tell as I shoot my Glock with different loads and brands of ammunition how well it really performs.
    Last edited by SilentType; 08-27-13 at 18:35.

Page 98 of 102 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast