Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: viridian green lasers....any one use them?

Feedback Score
    Holy thread resurrection Batman!

I'm looking at both the C5L and X5l for something smaller for carry on my G19. I currently have a SF X300U on it, it is a fantastic light but makes for a rather bulky carry package.

How well have these held up to hard use since this thread is from 2011? Any issues of them falling off the gun or shorting out after a few shots?

What holsters are you using? I've found one form Zero Concealment and Galco makes the King Tuk for the C5L. Any others I should take a look at?

Thanks!
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big A View Post
    Holy thread resurrection Batman!

I'm looking at both the C5L and X5l for something smaller for carry on my G19. I currently have a SF X300U on it, it is a fantastic light but makes for a rather bulky carry package.

How well have these held up to hard use since this thread is from 2011? Any issues of them falling off the gun or shorting out after a few shots?

What holsters are you using? I've found one form Zero Concealment and Galco makes the King Tuk for the C5L. Any others I should take a look at?

Thanks!
    I experimented with the C5L (second gen I think) for a little while a couple of years ago. It was pretty friggin cool, but would't seem to hold a zero for me. I also found that like many others, the laser only distracted me from using the sights properly.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I experimented with the C5L (second gen I think) for a little while a couple of years ago. It was pretty friggin cool, but would't seem to hold a zero for me. I also found that like many others, the laser only distracted me from using the sights properly.
    Yeah, I can see how one could become laser dependent. But it can be turned off and they now have a light only model, the CTL, which I am considering.

How reliable was yours when you had it? Any negative issues?
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big A View Post
    Yeah, I can see how one could become laser dependent. But it can be turned off and they now have a light only model, the CTL, which I am considering.

How reliable was yours when you had it? Any negative issues?
    I only put a few mags through mine because the dot jumped all over the place - I saw no point trying to rezero.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Green lasers can be highly susceptible to over-heating AND can have cold weather issues. I originally thought that my C5L ate through batteries but after reading an article (American Rifleman) about this I payed more attention. The article mentioned simply letting the green laser cool down so when I thought my battery was out I would actually take it off my body for a couple of minutes and the unit could then be turned on. They still eat batteries but just not one every two weeks. The Viridian battery 3-packs are a nice price but are not near as effective as the Energizers or Duracells. I seem to have less issues with the latter brands so not sure if my previous problems simply stemmed from low output batteries or if they were due to the overheating/cold issues.
    All this being said I still prefer to use the C5L as it provides a highly visible laser and a disorienting strobe. Plus it's a usable size for CCW.
    K.I.S.S. (Keep it Simple Stupid)
    KAC SR-15 IWS Tan
    KAC SR-25 EMC
    LWRC M6 IC

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have a x5l gen2.

It is a good little setup, on the expensive side but it really does well. I use rechargeable batteries and with testing and nominal usage a standard battery will work for a few weeks. I ran one in a class all day for two days and it worked fine, needed one battery change but then again it isn't meant to be run for two days 10hrs a day.

I had a little hiccup with it, after one of the battery changes the thing stopped working. I warrantied it with Viridian who had the gizmo back to me in a few days. Posted it on my blog - http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/05/vi...se-update.html

I say go for it. It is a very compact combo that works really well and lets you multiply your force without much overhead.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Williams View Post
    I have a Viridian C5L on a FNP9.

Pros: very compact, green laser is highly visible both day or night, LED light is bright and has very good strobe effect, easy on/off with either hand and simple to program, great customer service-my LED module on the light went out after 9 months and Viridian replaced the whole unit quickly

Cons: expensive, no "quick release"-must be attached to rail with screws, hard to find holsters (I'm using a generic Blackhawk model sold by Viridian but it is not weapon specific)

Happy overall. I also have on other weapons a Streamlight TLR2 and Insight M3. TLR2 is my favorite due to the quick release feature although the laser is not as good as the green Viridian. Hope this helps, let me know if you have other questions.
    Allen is spot on. I have a C5L on a G17. I think it was a gen 1. It went back to Viridian twice because it couldn't hold zero and the lights would change modes on it own. They sent me a new gen 2. The gen 2 does have a better mounting setup. It has been relegated as a nightstand piece at my lake house. I think they are great for nightstand duty. I dont get the warm and fuzzy the way I do with Surefire and INFORCE. The laser is bright and you can easily see it at 50 yards in the middle of the day.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Forgot to touch on zero.

I used to zero for 25 yards, POA/POI. Now I zero to 5ish. At distance I use sights, up close I want extremely quick acquisition.

Feedback Score
    I ordered the C5L off of Amazon for $268. I'm going to get a Galco King Tuk to carry it. It is supposed to have the "ECR" capability that activates the light upon the draw.

We'll see how it goes. I think it will work for my needs. I will follow up with a range report once I get the holster so I can carry it.

Thanks for all the input gentlemen
    -Fjallhrafn

Feedback Score
    Viridian GLK, I've taken it off and went back to TLR1 on G19. It would turn on in holster and I would be walking around with a "green dot" following me or strobe by my foot or cover shirt. I got the package deal with holster for it other holsters may not have that issue. Was neat but distracting from using sights as well.
    NRA Life Member.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12