Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can a Rifle length work w/ .223?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Phil has a little too... are you coming out tomorrow? You have some stuff you wanted to test right?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is there a secret buffer/spring combination out there?
    Rifle length installations can be more difficult.
    In my experience I had to use a lower power buffer spring (Wolff recuced power) and in this case I used an Endine buffer (just because I had one) ~ it worked and I stopped there.

I took different springs to the range and tested until the combination worked.
    I never had any problem with mid or carbine gas lengths.
    The rifle had less power and I had to adjust to it.

Good Luck.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by smschulz View Post
    Rifle length installations can be more difficult.
    They shouldn't be. Rifle should be the easiest.

In my experience I had to use a lower power buffer spring (Wolff recuced power) and in this case I used an Endine buffer (just because I had one) ~ it worked and I stopped there.

I took different springs to the range and tested until the combination worked.
    I never had any problem with mid or carbine gas lengths.
    The rifle had less power and I had to adjust to it.

Good Luck.
    I would never settle on a gun that needed either a reduced power spring or a weird buffer.

Either the gun needs port work or has a gas leak, or the ammo is doo doo. And tuning a gun to run bad ammo is all kinds of lunacy to me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Either the gun needs port work or has a gas leak, or the ammo is doo doo. And tuning a gun to run bad ammo is all kinds of lunacy to me.
    Not in my case, I have heard others with similar reports on RL.
    No denying it is a gas issue, did adjust the port size too.
    FWIW, different ammo was used and all first class and includes match ammo.

Just passing on an experience is all.
    The botom line is making it work.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by smschulz View Post
    Not in my case, I have heard others with similar reports on RL.
    No denying it is a gas issue, did adjust the port size too.
    FWIW, different ammo was used and all first class and includes match ammo.

Just passing on an experience is all.
    The botom line is making it work.
    What's the ammo and gun out of curiosity?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    As others have said, there SHOULD be no issues.

An FSB / GB alignment issue is possible, just as somebody else mentioned. The gas port may also be on the small side.

Possible fixes:

Determine the size of the gas port. Figure out what it should be, and if it's not that, have it opened up.

*EDIT* Just saw that you have looked at the port size. Out of curiosity, what is it?

Or, try a JP LMOS...not an ideal fix, but it will probably work.
    Last edited by a0cake; 11-22-11 at 16:46.

Feedback Score
    I have run 2 magazines of Wolf for a function test my BCM 20" and it did fine- no issues.

I'm using a standard A2 stock configuration.
    But what then is capital punishment but the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated it may be, can be compared? - Albert Camus

Feedback Score
    Short stroking in 20" AR's ALMOST always attributable to:

A) Misaligned gas blocks

B) Out of spec gas ports

B) Improperly installed gas tubes ( this SEEMS like a no brainer but, it does happen!)

C) Incorrect buffer/spring combinations.

The "Fix"

1) Check the gas block offset from the barrels shoulder. The gap between the gasblock and the shoulder should be at least .035 to .036.

1a) Check to make sure the FSB/GB is straight up and down in relation to the gas port. All too often I've gotten rifle length AR's into the shop that had improperly installed gb's. (Stupid but true)

2) Using a wire guage check the size and continuity of the gas port. The size should be between 0.87-.093 depending on manufacturer.
    A "continuity check" seems redundant but I've run across several barrels that had burrs in the gas port holes... thus blocking the flow.
    This IS rare as hell but does happen. Soooo.. better to be sure it's not the issue.

3) Check to make sure the gas tube was installed right side up! I shit you not ! I've had several NIB rifles pass through my hands that had their gas tubes installed upside down.

If your still short stroking after checking and correcting the previous then either you are using some seriously wimpy ammunition OR your buffer/spring combination is too heavy/strong.

No fast fix for this issue. Grab several different rifle/carbine springs and buffers of varying weights and go to the range. (or the bang box in my case)

In my experience these have been the most common ways to fix the issue you're experiencing.

As always, YMMV

Regards,

TJ

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    This makes no sense. A rifle shouldn't be using anything other than a rifle spring and buffer or an A5 system if you want telescoping stocks.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hammer_Man View Post
    Short stroking in 20" AR's ALMOST always attributable to:

A) Misaligned gas blocks

B) Out of spec gas ports

B) Improperly installed gas tubes ( this SEEMS like a no brainer but, it does happen!)

C) Incorrect buffer/spring combinations.

The "Fix"

1) Check the gas block offset from the barrels shoulder. The gap between the gasblock and the shoulder should be at least .035 to .036.

1a) Check to make sure the FSB/GB is straight up and down in relation to the gas port. All too often I've gotten rifle length AR's into the shop that had improperly installed gb's. (Stupid but true)

2) Using a wire guage check the size and continuity of the gas port. The size should be between 0.87-.093 depending on manufacturer.
    A "continuity check" seems redundant but I've run across several barrels that had burrs in the gas port holes... thus blocking the flow.
    This IS rare as hell but does happen. Soooo.. better to be sure it's not the issue.

3) Check to make sure the gas tube was installed right side up! I shit you not ! I've had several NIB rifles pass through my hands that had their gas tubes installed upside down.

If your still short stroking after checking and correcting the previous then either you are using some seriously wimpy ammunition OR your buffer/spring combination is too heavy/strong.

No fast fix for this issue. Grab several different rifle/carbine springs and buffers of varying weights and go to the range. (or the bang box in my case)
    In my experience these have been the most common ways to fix the issue you're experiencing.

As always, YMMV

Regards,

TJ

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This makes no sense. A rifle shouldn't be using anything other than a rifle spring and buffer or an A5 system if you want telescoping stocks.
    Dude! I've see retards on another AR website that openly admited to running carbine buffers in a rifle RE.

The idiots got pissy with me when I attempted to explain how farked up that idea was.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast