Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen3 G19 Shooting Low

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Gen3 G19 Shooting Low

I picked up a Gen3 G19 a few weeks ago from a local guy. The gun had 100 rounds through it when I bought it. I've since put 200 or so more through it, 100 Federal 115gr today, 100 WWB last week. It is a PYP serial test fired in Dec. 2010. It does have the dipped extractor. It has positive, strong ejection (no dribbling) with about 2-3% of the casings coming towards my face/head (Sample of 100). No stoppages thus far.

It has the Kyle Defoor sights with the serrated front on it (installed by local guy). At 15 yards my POI is about 8"-12" below POA. Shooting at 8"x8" paper targets I have to aim completely off the paper in order to hit the paper. This is with the top of the front sight level with the top of the rear sight. This is the first handgun I've ever owned or shot so it may very well be my technique. If anyone has advice or similar experience I'm all ears. I'm considering reverting to factory Glock sights to see If I have the same problem.
    Last edited by Eric D.; 11-04-11 at 15:39.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post
    I picked up a Gen3 G19 a few weeks ago from a local guy. The gun had 100 rounds through it when I bought it. I've since put 200 or so more through it, 100 Federal 115gr today, 100 WWB last week. It is a PYP serial test fired in Dec. 2010. It does have the dipped extractor. It has positive, strong ejection (no dribbling) with about 2-3% of the casings coming towards my face/head (Sample of 100). No stoppages thus far.

It has the Kyle Defoor sights with the serrated front on it (installed by local guy). At 15 yards my POI is about 8"-12" below POA. Shooting at 8"x8" paper targets I have to aim completely off the paper in order to hit the paper. This is with the top of the front sight level with the top of the rear sight. This is the first handgun I've ever owned or shot so it may very well be my technique. If anyone has advice or similar experience I'm all ears. I'm considering reverting to factory Glock sights to see If I have the same problem.
    Bench on a nice sturdy rest yet?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you are doing everything else correctly (i.e. 7 principals), and using quality factory ammunition, and the firearm is within the manufacturers specifications, you either need a shorter front sight, or a taller rear one.

S/F

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    My bet is you are flinching.
    Get some snap caps and have a friend load them in you mag.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Shooting low could likely be a trigger jerking problem, which would make sense for a first time handgun shooter. Shoot it from a bag, or have a more experienced shooter try it out, chances are pretty low that it's the gun or the sights but it does happen. This may help-

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    This is what I was thinking and why I was going to try the factory Glock sights. Can you elaborate on the 7 principals you mention?

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    If you are doing everything else correctly (i.e. 7 principals), and using quality factory ammunition, and the firearm is within the manufacturers specifications, you either need a shorter front sight, or a taller rear one.

S/F

B
    I don't think I'm flinching. I'm used to shooting in general and I've got a pretty good handle on the Glock trigger - taking up the slack, maintaining sight picture and breaking a shot. I'll have to have some other guys shoot it next time.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    As posted above try the snap caps too and maybe you are slapping? Sometimes when I swap from SA to Glocks I forget and tend to slap the trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Don't count on anything you don't sleep with attached to your body to be present when you have to fight for your life.
    I will never get to train as much as I want to. So when I do I need to make it count.
    F@ck Yolo. Bangarang!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post
    Can you elaborate on the 7 principals you mention?
    stance
    grip
    sight alignment
    sight picture
    breath control
    trigger control
    follow through

I am going to suggest that you seek professional instruction. If you have never heard of the 7 principals, it is unlikely that you are doing them correctly, and anything else you from this point will likely only reinforce ban habits and make you worse...

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    stance
    grip
    sight alignment
    sight picture
    breath control
    trigger control
    follow through

I am going to suggest that you seek professional instruction. If you have never heard of the 7 principals, it is unlikely that you are doing them correctly, and anything else you from this point will likely only reinforce ban habits and make you worse...

B
    I've been shooting all my life, instructing professionally for 5 years, am an IDPA Master and have never hear them called "the 7 principals". Maybe I'll have to start calling them that, along with the "3 corollaries" and the "5 precepts".

OP, have someone who is very familiar with Glocks shoot it from a rest. If it still shoots low, you're in luck. It's a lot easier to shorten a front sight than to stretch it.

I have a gen 2 G19, a gen 3 G19 and a gen 2 G17, all with Defoor sights. They all shoot about 2" high at 25 yards. 12" low at 15 yards is out of the ball park.

My FS is .160 from top of sight to the slide. My RS is .175. Are yours close to that?

Gringop

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    That's what I plan to do. I can't comment on the sights' height as my caliper's battery is dead (I will be getting a dial one).

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    OP, have someone who is very familiar with Glocks shoot it from a rest. If it still shoots low, you're in luck. It's a lot easier to shorten a front sight than to stretch it.

I have a gen 2 G19, a gen 3 G19 and a gen 2 G17, all with Defoor sights. They all shoot about 2" high at 25 yards. 12" low at 15 yards is out of the ball park.

My FS is .160 from top of sight to the slide. My RS is .175. Are yours close to that?

Gringop
    Last edited by Eric D.; 11-06-11 at 20:01.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast