Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Current use of glocks in the army?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru View Post
    With modern ammunition the 9mm is as formidable to me as any, with the benefit of capacity, cheaper practice, and shootability.

The Glocks in 9mm were a natural extension of the fact that 9mm ammo is already the standard military ammo.

For an individual, the amount of support for the Glock is pretty nice. You can go anywhere and find mags, holsters, parts, etc.
    Hard to transition platforms with mutli-thousands of dollars invested in a carry rig already.

Feedback Score
    With modern ammunition the 9mm is as formidable to me as any, with the benefit of capacity, cheaper practice, and shootability.

The Glocks in 9mm were a natural extension of the fact that 9mm ammo is already the standard military ammo.

For an individual, the amount of support for the Glock is pretty nice. You can go anywhere and find mags, holsters, parts, etc.
    I agree. So, any thoughts on the M&P vs. the Glock? I'm sort of drawn to the M&P's option to have a thumb safety...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    isn't a glock 19 part of the kit that air force pilots bail out with as well?

it's pretty surprising that a 9mm as universally loathed as the 92 is still the standard issue. I guess in the end handguns have very little to do mission success, still could make a lot of difference for an individual soldier in a bad spot.
    Certainly not all pilots. I've yet to see anything other than the M9 actually.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaKilo View Post
    Is there a citation for this?
    Jason Falla told me last month that Delta is using G22's (obviously he could be mistaken, but that's what he told me FWIW). As for SF, if you watch the episode of Tactical Arms where LAV visits Range 37, the CO says specifically "we use M9's and Glock 19's" ( I'm paraphrasing that).
    "Remember, if it doesn't violate the BYU Honor Code, it's not worth doing"
    -Daniel Tosh

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Active duty Delta came by to see a friend(one of instructors) last TigerSwan class I had. We specifically discussed pistols and he generally carries a G17 in the field. It was his personal preference. He also said the G17 and 19 were both used by Delta's.

Feedback Score
    There are G19s in the field, and they used to be the "alternate" weapon to the 1911 for "Delta." Now the G22 is the primary issue weapon for Delta, though the 1911 is still in use, as is the G19 in some applications where concealment is paramount.

There are also G19s available to issue through SOF channels for concealment applications - but the general issue pistol for the larger Army SF community remains the M9 Beretta.

Regards,

Kevin

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Let's not speculate for the sake of answering.
    I can't agree more strongly. M4Guru is giving everyone some pretty pertinent information. If you can not, or will not, provide creds to back up your answer, please just absorb what is given by our IP's and SME's.

As a whole site we need to start getting back to first hand information being king.

Thanks all!
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Whoa. I thought I was on TOS for a second.

Does it really matter who carries what? They don't care what you're carrying and what they carry has nothing to do with what you carry.

Feedback Score
    Look, everyone, all I'm asking is this:

What kind of pistol works well in hard-use environments? What pistol seems to work best?

I *care* what pistol they use simply because they're going out and doing things more often than anyone else, including most local LEOs. So, frankly, I trust the choice and words of people who go into harm's way in a military context under circumstances that are critical more often than anyone else as input for what I'm considering doing.

No, I'm not planning to deploy to Iraq or A-stan to do any hard-hitting work. I'm not going to need to take down a taliban outpost single-handedly. I'm going to rely on this pistol for matches and self defense.

But, looking at the status of the world right now, I'm inclined to think that preparing for the absolute worst is the most intelligent means of being prepared for anything.

So, I'm hoping that M4Guru would be willing to give me, either here or through PM, some direct information on what works, and so forth. I don't care to know the creds of the people deploying with what or anything that breaks classified status. But I would like some straight answers and less of the cryptic stuff. Is that too much to ask for? heh.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaKilo View Post
    Look, everyone, all I'm asking is this:

What kind of pistol works well in hard-use environments? What pistol seems to work best?

I *care* what pistol they use simply because they're going out and doing things more often than anyone else, including most local LEOs. So, frankly, I trust the choice and words of people who go into harm's way in a military context under circumstances that are critical more often than anyone else as input for what I'm considering doing.

No, I'm not planning to deploy to Iraq or A-stan to do any hard-hitting work. I'm not going to need to take down a taliban outpost single-handedly. I'm going to rely on this pistol for matches and self defense.

But, looking at the status of the world right now, I'm inclined to think that preparing for the absolute worst is the most intelligent means of being prepared for anything.

So, I'm hoping that M4Guru would be willing to give me, either here or through PM, some direct information on what works, and so forth. I don't care to know the creds of the people deploying with what or anything that breaks classified status. But I would like some straight answers and less of the cryptic stuff. Is that too much to ask for? heh.
    It's cool. Don't take it wrong. The question you asked gets asked often on other forums and leads to lots of sillyness so that leads to conditioned reflexes here.

But, you are on solid footing to base your decisions on wanting to factor in what pistol the hardest users chose. That's not a bad approach at all. Why experiment and test with thousands of dollars and years of work? It's fun. But when you need to know short term, that's a solid "Spark notes" plan. Gen 2 or Gen 3 9mm Glocks are a pretty safe bet.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast