Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interchanging M&P slides and frames

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Interchanging M&P slides and frames

I have a M&P 9mm with 4.25" slide and am considering purchasing a Pro. I've tweaked my current frame with a trigger upgrade, stippling and such. I've compared my frame to a buddies Pro and they are identical, as far as I can tell. I put his slide on my frame and everything ran fine. Am I missing something?

What's more, the description of the Pro says it has a 5" barrel and standard's is 4.25". But it's the slide that's 5". The barrels are the same size. Even the guide rod positioning is the same. Again, am I missing something? Thanks
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The M&P Pro comes I have both 4.25" & 5" versions.......sounds like your buddy has a 4.25" version which is not much different than your standard model outside of trigger and sights.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    The M&P Pro comes I have both 4.25" & 5" versions.......sounds like your buddy has a 4.25" version which is not much different than your standard model outside of trigger and sights.
    Positively, he has the 5" version. I have a 4.25" - NOT Pro model.
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    Having owned a 5" pro and several 4.25" FS models, I can say that the barrels are indeed not the same size. Guide rods are the same but barrels no.

The frames are the same and you can indeed switch the top ends at will.
    Last edited by beastfrog; 11-14-11 at 08:36.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just talked to my buddy. As your probably already aware, the barrel is longer. Ooops!

Otherwise, i assume there is no issue with slide to frame fit.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Will a compact slide fit on a full size frame?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmsteve View Post
    Will a compact slide fit on a full size frame?
    No.

But you can make stupid configs like so:

What can I say...I was bored.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Oh God why do I like the way that looks.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have been interchanging the upper and lower between a 45 mid-size and full size, one with, and the other without, the thumb safety. Both have Apex DC triggers. Working fine so far.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It works fine.

Just keep in mind you're inducing odd wear patterns between slides and frames.

This could lead to premature wear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast