Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SPR? Help!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Belmont is on target. The 18" with rifle gas is smooth. My SPR clone is an ADCO built copy built using a White Oak barrel. Shoots great. Better than I can for sure. It is smoother than my 16" middie. Also agree that if you go with the 18" barrel look for something with a bit more on the high end something along the lines of a 3-9 or 2.5-10. If you really want you can put a reflex or red dot in an offset mount do deal with a occasional close encounter. While the 18" would work up close, I would not choose to go into a room with one. VERY nose heavy with a LOT of momentum when you start moving it around. Doable for sure, but if I knew what I was getting into I'd go shorter and thinner. You may also want to get your hands on an ACS. I couldn't get decent cheek weld on one to save my life. Ended up ditching it (shameless plug but it's for sale)
    for a UBR. The PRS balanced the gun out very well, but I wanted something that was more adjustable. The UBR seems to be a decent compromise. Enough heft to balance the gun better for me and still offer come compactability.

You're looking at dropping some decent cash either way to decide to go. Decide what it is you are looking for. If you want a do it all rifle the 16" Reece type of a build with a 1-4 or 1-6 will do you well at distance and up close. If you want something primarily for hitting things out there with a oh shot up close shot here and there the 18" is the way to go IMO.
    I've had an ACS once and didn't think the cheek weld was bad, of course that rifle had a Aimpoint on it.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands View Post
    Those are some nice looking rifles. As for the PRI hand guard - no specific reason other then the authentic look. Are they not good? Can I get more info on the larue build?

It was just a factory 16" LT Stealth (SS barrel with mid length gas), LT 12" rail, KAC sights, LT lower, ect. My 2nd Stealth upper, and they both shot very well and very reliable. I would recommend them to someone looking for a good quality upper that will be put together and shoot great right out of the box. They have 1-8" twist and Wylde chambers.

As mentioned the 18" does feel more like a rifle whereas the 16" feels like a bigger carbine. With the SS barrels the front end weight is probably a lot more than someone would be used to with like a 14.5" M4.

FWIW I never had any issues hitting targets at 500 yards with the 16". Out to 750 they have a little more drop (a few clicks). If you are not planning shooting past 500 I think the 16" would be fine, and 2" off the end of the gun will seem like a lot. Combined with a decent variable its a hard to beat combination of accuracy, compactness, and all around versatility.

If you want to put together something yourself Id also recommend checking out the Centurion Arms 16" Recce barrels. They are based on the same thing as the MK12 barrels which are Douglas blanks, and shoot very well, too.

WOA also makes a good SS barrel, and is worth looking at. If you wanted to go premium I would check out Lilja and Krieger. Noveske always makes good stuff if you wanted to throw one of those in to your own build.

If I were going to build another precision AR rig it would have a cut rifle Krieger barrel, SS, and 1-7.7" twist.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'd look strongly into using a SD-E or a SSA-E trigger.

I'd also look into going the 2/3-9/10x optic route vs. the 1-4x route.

Bottom line..don't skimp on the barrel, the glass, or the trigger

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    I'd look strongly into using a SD-E or a SSA-E trigger.

I'd also look into going the 2/3-9/10x optic route vs. the 1-4x route.

Bottom line..don't skimp on the barrel, the glass, or the trigger

I have the SSA-E in my mid-length and like it but I figured in this built it could be a little lighter. How is the fit between the LMT Upper and the KAC lower? Any play or nice 'n tight?
    Last edited by ColdDeadHands; 11-15-11 at 01:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is one I built a while back:

Uppder Details:
    -18" SS SPR Profile Barrel by Global Tactical (Ion Bond .223 Wylde Chamber)
    -Badger Gas Block (Pinned by Monty at Centurion)
    -BCM Rifle Length Gas Tube
    -KAC 12" Rail
    -CMT M4 Upper
    -PWS FSC556
    -KAC Front Sight (Rear wont fit under scope)
    -KAC Bipod Mount
    -Young Chrome Lined M16 Carrier (not the National Match Model)
    -PRI GB Charging Handle
    -KAC Rail Panels
    -KAC Swivel Mount
    -NightForce Uni-Mount Scope Mount
    -NightForce 2.5-10X32 Mil-Dot w/Zero Stops

Lower:
    -LMT w/2-stage Trigger
    -UBR Stock
    -KAC Trigger Guard
    -KAC Ambi-Mag Release

I bought this when parts were scarce. If I was going to build another SPR/Recce, I would use a BCM stainless barrel. I would probably never buy another Young CL BCG because the chrome makes the fit very tight but it was the only thing in stock at the time.
    This gun still shoots .9-.75 moa with Black Hills ammo. The only thing I plan to do to this gun is change out the LMT stock 2-stage trigger and put a Geissele in it.
    The recoil impulse on the rifle-length gas system is really smooth.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 11-15-11 at 04:23.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Got anymore info on that scope? Sounds nice but if it's more then a grand I can't swing it...
    No sorry I dont its not on there site. I have seen one picture and some info from KevinB at KAC. I think we will see it around SHOT, it will be north of 1k but nowhere near the 4k tag on the MK8
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    would a 4-16x50 be too much power for this type of rifle?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I personally think so...that will be quite the beefy optic on your rifle.

As far as the fitment goes b/t KAC and LMT...honestly perfect. Nice and tight, yet you can still disassemble them relatively fast if need be.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I also think so...
    Keep the scope at 40mm or less. Reason being is that if you shim an AR stock like a bolt gun, you wont be able to pull the charging handle back all the way. I personally like the keep the scope as low as possible so that "staying in the scope" isn't a neck-aching experience.

That 32mm NF with the lower NF Uni-Mount is about as low as I could get it and it fit's me like a glove.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I personally believe the nxsc 2.5-10x32 is the quintessential SPR optic. It performs exceptionally well in that role. It might not have bird watching glass, however it's literally bombproof and tracks so true and repeatable.

I'd hunt for a good used one on the EE's...specifically SH' EE. They can be hand for around $1000-1200.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast