Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid length build advice

Feedback Score

Mid length build advice

I am considering building a new rifle after I get my funds together. All my experience is with standard carbines and full length rifles. I've never used a mid length system before.

Has anyone used LMTs enhanced bolt and bolt carrier? I like the looks of the LMT enhanced extractor but it's a proprietary part and a high wear one at that.
    H or H2 buffer? Are the carbine extraction upgrades necessary with a mid length system on a standard bolt?
    Any experience with the VTAC forend? It looks like a good handguard but I wonder if it won't heat up excessively during extended firing sessions.

Feedback Score
    Ok, I guess noone has any input on the last inquiries. I'll try a new one.

Is anyone beside Sabre selling a properly made chromed bore mid length barrel? I see that CMMG sell them but I don't know if they are the quality that I am after. Noveske only sells the 14.5" chromed barrels. I'd really like 16".
    Am I missing anyone?

Feedback Score
    I'm in the process of building midlength carabine.

I went with Sabre Defence 16" barrel 1/7, Daniel Defense upper receiver and midlength rail. Bravo Company bolt group and stock Stag carabine lower.

Paul

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I haven't heard any bad things about CMMG.

Feedback Score
    In the AR15 Comparison chart CMMG is listed in the column for barrels that there are reports of them being out of spec despite being listed as being within spec.
    If I can clear up the quality questions with their barrels I can get exactly what I'm thinking of from them. Otherwise it will have to be a Sabre barrel and the only Sabre barrels I see for sale have the sight towers installed. Not a big deal to swap out the tower for a low rise gas block but if I can get the barrel set up the way I want if from the start I think I'd rather do that.

I'm not dead set against a fixed sight tower but after seeing the Troy sights first hand I'm thinking a 16" barrel and a rifle length VTAC forend with Troy sights might be just the thing I'm after.

Of course I'll likely change my mind a few more times before I have the $ for the build......... Just thinking out loud here and trying to bounce ideas off guys who have already been down this road.

Feedback Score

Noveske barrels

To date I haven't really been considering Noveske barrels since I want a full 16" and chrome lining.
    How are the 16" Noveske stainless, unlined barrels for reliability and durability? Do they give up anything to a chromed barrel? I know they are accurate.

Feedback Score
    I built my midlength carbine almost two years ago and I went with Denny's Guns-Global Tactical Operator model, medium contour, Mil-spec material, barrel blanks from Rock Creek Barrels, 1/7, chrome lined, M4 feedramps with F marked FSB.

My personal preference is the standard taper pinned FSB because it's the strongest type of front sight and I also installed a LaRue 9.0 midlength FF rails to slightly improve the accuracy, less bulky than the other brands and they have the locking design that prevents the handguard from getting loose.

I'm using a Colt M16 BCG with Bravo Company's extractor upgrade kit which improved the extraction force of the factory parts.

The buffer I'm using is just the standard carbine Vltor buffer that came with my old Vltor club foot Modstock but I recently changed my stock with the new EMOD (longer and fits tighter), I'm satisfied with my standard buffer but if you wanted to slow down the bolt speed you could try the H or H2 buffers.

If I'm in a normal climate area I would pick the lighter Sabre Defence gov't profile barrel because they use the same exact material they supply the military (M2 BMG barrels).

Stainless VS chrome lined depends what type of role do you want for your carbine, precision or tactical.

I've got pics of my midlength build with flat dark earth furniture in the AR picture thread page 28.
    YMMV

AR-15 SP1 owner since 1971
    NRA and CRPA life member

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    I am considering building a new rifle after I get my funds together. All my experience is with standard carbines and full length rifles. I've never used a mid length system before.

Has anyone used LMTs enhanced bolt and bolt carrier? I like the looks of the LMT enhanced extractor but it's a proprietary part and a high wear one at that.
    H or H2 buffer? Are the carbine extraction upgrades necessary with a mid length system on a standard bolt?
    Any experience with the VTAC forend? It looks like a good handguard but I wonder if it won't heat up excessively during extended firing sessions.
    The upgrades that are used to make CAR systems run better are 100% absolutely NOT NEEDED in a midlength. These include the LMT enhanced carrier, heavier buffers (H an H2) nor extractor upgrades. The VTAC FF tube is great, I have a few myself. You can use the LMT enhanced bolt (not carrier) in any length AR.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the great input.
    As for my intended use, it will mostly be "tactical". Inside 150 yards with the bulk of that inside 50. I'll use it personally during training courses (sniffing at Comprehensive Carbine at Storm Mountain next year) and it will likely get loaned out while I am instructing at my department and it is quite possible that it could get used on duty . #1 priority for me is reliability. #2 is, reliability . If I can get a strong, reliable rifle that will still shoot .5 moa then that's icing on the cake.
    I am interested in keeping weight down. If I want to haul around a little extra weight my M1A will get the nod.

Feedback Score
    CMMG made a run of middy 1/7 barrels a few years ago that the FSB was a bit too far forward and the gas tube did not meet up properly with the carrier key. CMMG makes a fine product and I would not hesitate to buy one of their current production barrels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast