Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mid length build advice

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    BCM middy uppers are considered by many to be the best. The problem is that they are not currently available.

I would stay away from the LMT enhanced bolt and carrier. A standard LMT BCG will work just fine.

We are going to be getting some Daniel Defense 16" middy barrels in soon and will start to offer builds with them.

C4

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    So keep a mid length completely stock? No extractor upgrades or H buffer?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    So keep a mid length completely stock? No extractor upgrades or H buffer?
    Yes, no upgrades necessary. The extractor spring and buffer I use on a middy is from Brownells # 160-304-025 $6.69 (Colt factory parts).
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Here is my take.

Barrel - Denny's Operator, if that's too heavy, go to a Sabre gov't profile or BCM if it ever becomes available. These are all 4150/CMV steel barrels with 1/7 twist, 5.56 chambers and chrome lining.

BCG - BCM (Bravo Company Manucaturing), 2nd choice is LMT, 3rd is a properly staked CMT. Colt is another option but not as easy to find as the BCM or LMT.

Rails - For the money, LaRue is hard to beat. I find myself looking for cheaper options but always ciome back to LaRue. DD rails are also look good but I don't have any experience with them since they are more money then LaRue. I considered a V-Tac on my last build but ended up with a 11" LaRue.

Upper Receiver - I've always used CMT and have only had a few cosmetic issues but that was a few years ago. Ive handled about 8 in the past year from Denny and all have been perfect. Mechanically they are fine. DD looks to make a fine upper as well as the billet offerings from Vltor and LaRue. LMT would be another option if you can find one on the used market or a take off from one of their many dealers.

Charging Handle - I've always used a standard one. I recently upgraded them with a PRI big latch.

Sights/Optics - Can't go wrong with a Aimpoint or EoTech and LaRue mount. The new American Defense mounts look interesting but I'll wait for them to be out awhile and see how they do. I run a fixed LaRue BUIS behind my non-magnafied optics. There are a few other fixed options such as LMT. If you prefer a flip up there are many options there.

Good luck with your build.

Here's a gratuitous older pic of my Operator, before going to the LaRue BUIS.
    Owner - BRD Engineering

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12