Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing AAC Blackout from Noveske n4 Barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Removing AAC Blackout from Noveske n4 Barrel.

So, I have an (edit: 16inch) n4 barrel (new never fired, from a retailer) with an AAC blackout on it. I am removing it to install a BC. The AAC is on rock solid and does not want to come off with a wrench, and it basically stripped off/marred my adjustable wrench.

My question is: Does Noveske use loctite or rocksett (god i hope not) on their flash hiders? I am picking up a bottle of Kroil to soak it in and give it another try (with a higher quality fixed wrench), but I need to know if I should go buy a propane torch.....

Edit:

Here is a thread summary for people searching this thread (TLDR):

1. The 16 inch Noveske N4 barrels with the AAC 51t Blackout flash hider have had the this flash hider attached using Rockset at the factory. -Per Todd @ Noveske

2. Rockset can be removed through force alone, and will not be affected by heat. It will, however, require extra torque and possible a "cheater bar" of some sort. (It is soluble in water, and can theoretically be weakened by soaking in water... though if this will actually help is unknown at the moment. If someone has personal experience with this pipe up and I will update.)

3. Proper Wrench Size is 22mm (7/8 inch).

4. Do not use an adjustable wrench, it can not handle the force needed.
    Last edited by Shoulderthinggoesup; 11-24-11 at 11:55. Reason: Summary added

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoulderthinggoesup View Post
    So, I have an n4 barrel (new never fired, from a retailer) with an AAC blackout on it. I am removing it to install a BC. The AAC is on rock solid and does not want to come off with a wrench, and it basically stripped off/marred my adjustable wrench.

My question is: Does Noveske use loctite or rocksett (god i hope not) on their flash hiders? I am picking up a bottle of Kroil to soak it in and give it another try (with a higher quality fixed wrench), but I need to know if I should go buy a propane torch.....

Thanks!
    What barrel length do you have?
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    16 inch. Shouldn't be pinned/welded.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Make sure the barrel is firmly in barrel vice blocks, and DON'T use an adjustable wrench. I don't know the correct size wrench for the AAC flash hiders though.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

-Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    AAC suppressor mounts each come with a container of rocksett.

Even sell it on their site http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=745
    Last edited by VLODPG; 11-22-11 at 21:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    correct size is 7/8 inch. i will send an email to noveske.and post what i find for future reference.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I'd say your adjustable wrench is part of the problem.
    I thought Rocksett wasn't supposed to be any harder to get off than medium Locktite? It's just high temp resistant to loosening?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, most likely the improper wrench had a part to play. I have a real wrench coming in the mail, as well as some Kroil. However, if Noveske DOES loctite the FH I want to know so I can get a torch to apply some heat.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I asked Sherri over at Noveske specifically about loctite when I was placing and order back in august.
    She assured me that was just a rumor about them Loctiting everything.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You might want to find a 3' pipe to slide over the wrench to act as a cheater bar. It will greatly increase your success in getting the f/h off...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast