Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squats – How is your head oriented?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Squats – How is your head oriented?

When squatting, where do you focus your gaze? I have started researching squat technique and now realize how little I understand about the exercise. I thought my technique was ok, but the more I learn the more I realize how much it sucks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I usually start looking at a point about 20 degrees above parallel to the floor and keep looking at that point as I squat. Seems to help keep me balanced and from using too much of my back to get low.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Like grizzly said, pick a spot on the wall, or mirror, a few inches above your head and keep focused there for the whole movement. You want your head and eyes up. If you drop your head and eyes down and start looking at the floor, the weight can shift forward on you and that could result in a back injury.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looking up is a bad idea.

First of all, many people don't even know how to squat correctly. I follow the guidelines set in "Starting Strength" Look down towards the ground way in front of you. If you have the bar placed correctly, it will not come forward. Most folks have it too high, and have to use pads on the bar... more bad news.

I thought I knew how to squat until I started working out with a partners trained under Rippetoe. I had to relearn the correct form and drop my weight . Not only is it more natural, but much safer IMHO. I wish I knew this 30 years ago.

Rippetoe is like the Larry Vickers of lifting.

See the head position below...

ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looking up is a . bad idea.

First of all, many people don't even know how to squat correctly. I follow the guidelines set in "Starting Strength" Look down towards the ground way in front of you. If you have the bar placed correctly, it will not come forward. Most folks have it too high, and have to use pads on the bar... more bad news.

I thought I knew how to squat until I started working out with a partner trained under Rippetoe. I had to relearn the correct form and drop my weight . Not only is it more natural, but much safer IMHO. I wish I knew this 30 years ago.

ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Looking up is a . bad idea.

I thought I knew how to squat until I started working out with a partner trained under Rippetoe. I had to relearn the correct form and drop my weight . Not only is it more natural, but much safer IMHO. I wish I knew this 30 years ago.

He may be a great trainer. But if you watch the world record squats all of them are guys looking forward or slightly up. That is across IPA, olympics etc. Maybe you CAN do it looking down but just because you can do something doesn't make it good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGHxoizDkh8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBbRmuPTHNQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwNlUTekYWA

And at least for me, it is easier to focus on breathing and keeping my back positioned correctly looking up. I tend to bend too much in the lower back/hips looking down. Which leads to poor breathing.
    Last edited by Grizzly16; 08-02-11 at 13:01.

Feedback Score
    I actually researched this not long ago. There was an excellent video I found on youtube that explained it well. I don't squat extremely heavy (i'm old) but do squat a couple times a week. The gist of the instructional video was its extremely important to raise your chin before positioning the bar. This forces you to seat the bar lower on your upper back rather than your neck, helping prevent neck injury. I'm not sure i can post links but i'll try...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtPN-...layer_embedded

Sorry if its already been posted.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    The general rule for proper weight lifting form when standing is to keep your spine in alignment or as vertical to the horizontal plane as possible. This is especially applicable when doing an exercise such as squats. You may have noticed that when people struggle or strain as they increase weight or repetitions that form is extremely difficult to maintain. Looking too high could create an overarched back which could then be exacerbated when increasing weight / reps. The opposite, looking too low, can create a conversely similar problem. When the spine is not in the optimal position the risk for injury increases.

Personally, I like to keep my eyes straight ahead, focus on my core activation, and ensure that I'm dropping at the hips and not pushing the knees forward too much. I've found that this helps me keep that optimal spine position. If I get to a weight or a number of reps where that form suffers or fails then I back off until such time that I am strong enough to move up while still being able to maintain good form.
    Last edited by donlapalma; 08-02-11 at 16:19. Reason: Grammar correction

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    You start off looking down towards the ground/floor with heavier weight, you are just asking for trouble.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I suspect the OP is not interested in competitive lifting, but rather general fitness. Are the techniques used to lift extremely heavy weights appropriate for the regular person?

I am only after practical strength and not lifting extremely heavy like those who compete. Rippetoe's method allowed me to make excellent gains in a safe manner. The science behind his method makes sense to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i60d...eature=related
    ParadigmSRP.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast