Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CTR, STR, or SOPMOD

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

CTR, STR, or SOPMOD

I just ordered a BCM lower from Grant, and I'm going to be ordering a stock for it soon. I'm trying to decide between the CTR, STR, and the SOPMOD. I've read where the friction lock on the CTR locks up tighter than the STR, which I would prefer, and the CTR is cheaper, which is also nice. However, the STR is more comfortable from what I've read, having a better cheek weld. And then there's the SOPMOD which I've heard is very tight on the extension, which is a plus, but the price is the only downside for me. So I was just wondering what advice any of you guys might have, which you have, etc.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I suggest trying to find some of these you can demo first if possible.

I have a CTR on my SBR and like it but run a Vltor EMOD on my 16" AR and find it more comfortable. To me the EMOD and SOPMOD feel about the same but my preference is for the EMOD which also happens to be priced less too.

I have no hands on experience with the other.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
    I just ordered a BCM lower from Grant, and I'm going to be ordering a stock for it soon. I'm trying to decide between the CTR, STR, and the SOPMOD. I've read where the friction lock on the CTR locks up tighter than the STR, which I would prefer, and the CTR is cheaper, which is also nice. However, the STR is more comfortable from what I've read, having a better cheek weld. And then there's the SOPMOD which I've heard is very tight on the extension, which is a plus, but the price is the only downside for me. So I was just wondering what advice any of you guys might have, which you have, etc.
    AIM recently started selling the B5 SOPMOD stocks for $99 with free shipping.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...ock&groupid=57 (black)

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...%29&groupid=57 (tan)
    Last edited by MistoGators; 12-28-11 at 21:32. Reason: fixed link (s)

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    I like SOPMODs and have one on the carbine I shoot all the time.

I have two Colts, both with SOPMODs. One is tan, the other is black. The black one wobbles almost as much as a regular M4 stock. The tan one hardly wobbles at all. Stock wobble has never bothered me.

I like the cheek weld on the SOPMODs and I recently aquired a VLTOR EMOD and it seems like a great stock also. I'll try it out in a match Sunday.

I have shot with a CTR and it does not wobble, has a QD socket and a ruber pad. The cheek weld is about the same as a M4 stock.

I don't know what an STR is, but if it has a good cheek weld, go for it.

IMO the CTR is too expensive for what it is. I'd just get the SOPMOD and be done with it...

Feedback Score
    I haven't read any reviews of the str yet honestly, but I would not worry about the lock up. I've seen Grant mention that he prefers the moe stock cause it's tight enough on a Milspec tube that a ctr is a waste of cash. After purchasing the moe I agree. So having any lock on top of that, regardless of how tight, should be good. The cheek weld is definitely a bonus plus the battery storage.

Feedback Score
    The B5 SOPMOD is pretty reasonably priced. Another good option is the Imod. Unless ofcourse you're attached to the feel of Magpul's buttpad(like myself), then I'd get the CTR. Dont worry too much about the wobble/lock up. If it bothers you, you can always put a strip of tape on the RE to tighten up the stock. That's what I did when I had an Imod on one of my carbines.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Used all but STR. All are good stocks, prefer UBR, sopmod, ACS, for precision. Stopped using UBR because of weight. Probably best of adjustable precision stocks. CTR I did not like, crappy cheekweld, and did not lock up good for me(sent it back once). Love my EMOD too. Best of both worlds.

Can't wait to get my paws on STR. Might be what I've been looking for.
    Last edited by fixit69; 12-28-11 at 22:41.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistoGators View Post
    AIM recently started selling the B5 SOPMOD stocks for $99 with free shipping.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...ock&groupid=57 (black)

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...%29&groupid=57 (tan)
    Unfortunately the black SOPMODs are out of stock. I was about to have my decision made otherwise. Does anyone know when these will be back in stock? Or should I just e-mail them?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I'm also liking the Vltor IMOD stock. Does anyone know how tight the lock-up is on one of these? Col_Crocs you mentioned one being a little loose but fixing it with tape on the receiver extension, did that work well?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    And also, I'm guessing the IMod would be compatible with having an ASAP plate on the carbine?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast