Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any info on Ares Defense GSR-35 piston conversion?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper1408 View Post
    Have a link? Do you know what the LEO price is? The brochure says they offer a significant discount to LE and active military.
    This is where I got mine from. I think "significant discount" is a volume purchase not an individual purchase. If you find out, please post here...

https://0186cdf.netsolstores.com/ind...anfID=3&Page=1

Feedback Score
    You guys are awesome. Ok, PK Firearms has 2 diff models. One for 14.5-16" barrels and one for under 14.5". GTS only has one model, but doesn't say which it is for.

Also, is the included handguard the only one that can be used?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You guys are awesome. Ok, PK Firearms has 2 diff models. One for 14.5-16" barrels and one for under 14.5". GTS only has one model, but doesn't say which it is for.

Also, is the included handguard the only one that can be used?
    I only use the supplied HG, but GTS was working on getting a Surefire HG to work. You may have to talk to him to get the latest.

Feedback Score
    It's on its way. I'll let you know how it works out. I also ordered a couple bandolier kits.

Feedback Score
    It's likely just an ad for both. You'll probably have to specify which kit you want when you order.

As for rails, I guess it depends on how willing you are with a dremel. As Renegade said, Denny got the Surefire's to work, and they use a lower out of spec top rail. I'd imagine the Midwest free floats, Troy, and Daniel Defense Omega rails would be likely suspects as well. With the Ares kit you have to have two piece hand guards.

Your best bet is to talk to one of the sellers of the kit though, as all I have is a theory where as they likely know what does and doesn't work and what modifications it requires.
    The luxury of freedom was not free.

Feedback Score
    Renegade, why wouldn't you want it for your semi auto guns if it works so well in full auto? Is it just a cost versus benefit kind of thing?

I'm wondering how the Vltor CASV-EL rail would work out with the Ares. The bottom is easily removable, the top looks like more work. It might not be practical.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Vltor CASV-EL rail could be modified to fit with the Ares unit. I modified a few CASV-EL rails for POF uppers, and they work well. Looking at both, the POF is a bulkier unit.

The problem is that the POF is disassembles from the front, so the CASV-EL rail never needs removed. The Ares would require the top rail to be removed for cleaning, and that's not really practical unless you want to completely disassemble the upper every time you clean.

I've never measured one, but the Daniel Defense Omega may work with the Ares (with or without modification). It free-floats, and would disassemble a whole lot easier than the Vltor.

Feedback Score
    I wonder how often the piston assembly needs to be cleaned.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    I wonder how often the piston assembly needs to be cleaned.
    Don't know, but I'm sure it's more often than what you would want to remove the Vltor CASV-EL rail!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Renegade, why wouldn't you want it for your semi auto guns if it works so well in full auto? Is it just a cost versus benefit kind of thing?
    The problems I was looking to solve (massive crud in upper, lots of heat, melted gas tubes from C-Mag dumps, Silencer use, no broken bolts, stake problems, gas rings or other problems.) I do not have in my semi-auto guns. For instance, my LMT/MRP is in an SPR config, and it is lucky if it sees 20-30 rounds on a typical shooting day. Not enough to cause those problems.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast