Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any info on Ares Defense GSR-35 piston conversion?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    I wonder how often the piston assembly needs to be cleaned.
    I have not cleaned mine yet. I did take it apart to have a look after a few thousand rounds, but it was still pretty clean.

Feedback Score
    I have not cleaned mine yet. I did take it apart to have a look after a few thousand rounds, but it was still pretty clean.
    That's pretty impressive. Do you lube the piston at all? Is the heat dissapated enough so as not to cause any problems with the spring? Heat and springs don't generally mix too well.

Feedback Score
    Don't know, but I'm sure it's more often than what you would want to remove the Vltor CASV-EL rail!
    MASP7, The instructions on the VLTOR site look pretty straightforward. Snap it under the delta ring and tighten down the rail. Then snap in the lower section. Is it more involved than that?

Feedback Score
    I'm going to try a midwest industries rail when I get mine and see if I can get it to work.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's pretty impressive. Do you lube the piston at all? Is the heat dissapated enough so as not to cause any problems with the spring? Heat and springs don't generally mix too well.
    Yes, the directions state to keep a little lube in there. As I use the supplied HGs, it is easy to pop it off and shoot some lube in.

The spring is on the outside of the op-rod/piston, so it is air cooled. and does not seem to be a problem.

Feedback Score
    For those who have the Ares kit, is it fully reversible to original DI configuration if desired?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    MASP7, The instructions on the VLTOR site look pretty straightforward. Snap it under the delta ring and tighten down the rail. Then snap in the lower section. Is it more involved than that?
    It's not a big deal for an assembly/disassembly, but there's more there than what I'd want to do just to clean my gas piston on a regular basis. There is also the issue of wear and tear on the disassembly, and removing your sights/optics and having to rezero. I have to admit, the Vltor rail is well made but it is bulky, and the raised rail complicates the sight and optics issue. It's heavy compared to others. It worked OK on the POF, but I think that if I were to do it on a GSR-35, it would be with an Omega (which weighs about 1/10 of a CAS-V) and comes off a whole lot easier, or a Troy FF rail.

_DR- The Ares kit is fully reversible.

Feedback Score
    I was wondering how heavy it was. It looked pretty stout. I do like the design, but not for a GSR. If I ever get one to play with I think it will just go on my beater Bushmaster with the standard forearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't know, but I know it's a whole lot more than a DD Omega Rail.

Here's a pic of the CAS-V on the POF Upper I did (Not mine, and I hate the trebuchet sights- They have since been replaced with Troys)

Feedback Score
    I really like the looks of that forend. I've never liked grabbing a fist full of rails and have been looking at the PRI, VTAC, YHM models that allow you to put rails where you need them.

That piston system is beckoning to me. If Ares ever calls me back with their LEO discount info I'll try one on the Bushy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast