Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Any info on Ares Defense GSR-35 piston conversion?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    That piston system is beckoning to me. If Ares ever calls me back with their LEO discount info I'll try one on the Bushy.
    I emailed them about 2 months ago, then I called them last week and sent another email. Still nothing back. I just gave up on them and bought one from PKFirearms.com

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I get the impression I shouldn't be holding my breath. That makes me wonder how there their customer service is.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I had one, this happened to it after shooting a little full-auto:

The gas tube roll pin walked on it and allowed the spigot to move rearward which then bent the op rod. ARES replaced the op rod, and spigot. I later traded it off to a friend and installed it on his upper (a 16" LMT upper). I did a 'shave' job on his FSB and threaded the gas tube roll pin hole for a 4-40 set screw. In had to open up the hole on the spigot a little to allow the screw to pass through it. I used Rocksett on the set screw to hold it together. He had another guy on this website 'modificate' a 12" Troy rail to fit over the system. It's working fine for him now and he shoots it with a suppressor as well. The system was very controllable on full auto with an H buffer and a Primary Weapons DNTC comp/brake. So controllable that I could keep all the round on a IPSC/IDPA target size group at 150yds all the way through the magazine on auto.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    I assume they returned your call? Or was there a separate customer service #?

Feedback Score
    Does anyone think putting a G35 kit on a lightweight barrel profile would be an issue?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by _DR View Post
    Does anyone think putting a G35 kit on a lightweight barrel profile would be an issue?
    From what I can gather it won't cause any problems. I don't believe it will fit anything over .875" though.

Feedback Score
    I received my conversion today and am in the process of installing it right now. Had to remove a little carbon first. Mine came with a little spring that goes in before the spigot to take the shock off the roll pin.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper1408 View Post
    I received my conversion today and am in the process of installing it right now. Had to remove a little carbon first. Mine came with a little spring that goes in before the spigot to take the shock off the roll pin.
    My early kit had that too. It didn't work.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    The system was very controllable on full auto with an H buffer and a Primary Weapons DNTC comp/brake. So controllable that I could keep all the round on a IPSC/IDPA target size group at 150yds all the way through the magazine on auto.
    Is it more likely that the performance of the system is due to the DNTC and H-buffer or the op system?

The LWRC carbines that I tried seemed to have a sharper initial recoil than DI guns of similar length (14.5/16"), whereas the 416 seemed to have a smoother recoil impulse.

A 30 round burst on an IPSC target at 150 is damn good, and I doubt that I could do the same with any .mil configured gun. I have put 28 on an E-silhouette at 100 yards in FA, but only after a few attempts, and I doubt that I could do it on demand. The DTNC seems to be an excellent FH/MB, and some pistons seems to smooth out the recoil impulse; so in your opinion what most contributed to the controllability of the system?
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Is it more likely that the performance of the system is due to the DNTC and H-buffer or the op system?

The LWRC carbines that I tried seemed to have a sharper initial recoil than DI guns of similar length (14.5/16"), whereas the 416 seemed to have a smoother recoil impulse.

A 30 round burst on an IPSC target at 150 is damn good, and I doubt that I could do the same with any .mil configured gun. I have put 28 on an E-silhouette at 100 yards in FA, but only after a few attempts, and I doubt that I could do it on demand. The DTNC seems to be an excellent FH/MB, and some pistons seems to smooth out the recoil impulse; so in your opinion what most contributed to the controllability of the system?
    It's the combination of the DNTC, H-buffer and the slow cyclic rate of the ARES (this was a 11.5" barrel). I think it's so controllable mostly because of the DNTC which is really at home on a full auto gun. If the DNTC where anymore efficient it would cause the muzzle to dive in full-auto. We did get to compare this setup against a 10.5" full auto LMT upper (w/A2 flash hider) on the same registered auto lower and the LMT would walk right off the target and it's cyclic rate was noticeably faster.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast