Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need help making a decision bewteen 6.8 an 300 BLK OUT

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MovinMan View Post
    Sproing!!

I'm loving that rifle. I'm tossing around some ideas.....I'm stuck between an .300 BO or a Grendel as my next build and that Grendel is right up my alley.

Specs please....especially barrel manufacturer and BCG?

Tell me also please a little about how she shoots.

Very nice.
    I really enjoy my Grendels and am halfway contemplating a 12.5" SBR build...

Here are the specs on the Grendel "recce":

- Alexander Arms button-rifled 16" midlength stainless barrel, extended feed ramps, cut to 15.5" and threaded 5/8x24 (they come threaded 9/16x24 from the factory, which makes me crazy)
    - Troy low profile gas block, pinned
    - Matched Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel bolt
    - BCM M16 bolt carrier
    - Surefire MB68AR brake/suppressor mount; mates to Surefire FA68AR suppressor
    - BCM unmarked upper receiver, extended feed ramps
    - DD M4A1 RIS II freefloat railed handguard
    - Mega Machine Shop SBR lower
    - Magpul ACS stock, MIAD pistol grip
    - H2 buffer, standard carbine action spring
    - KAC endplate/sling QD mount
    - BAD-ASS selector
    - Norgon ambi mag catch
    - GRSC 1-6x scope in LT-104 mount
    - Surefire Scout in LT offset mount, SR07 switch
    - MBUS Gen II rear backup sight, Troy front flip up sight

And here are 10 rounds rapid fire off a bipod at 50 yards, Hornady 123gr Amax factory ammo. I zeroed the scope at 50 yards to match up fairly closely with the published specs for the BDC.

Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Very nice, thank you.

Now did you SBR the lower because the barrel length? I see you lost a 1/2 inch due to re-threading.

Im thinking now that the Grendel is a SAAMI cartridge, there are going to be some other barrel manufacturers stepping up to the plate as well. Also ammo prices are really getting down there on Grendel stuff as well which is nice.

Damn, decisions decisions.......guess I'll just build both.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MovinMan View Post
    Very nice, thank you.

Now did you SBR the lower because the barrel length? I see you lost a 1/2 inch due to re-threading.

Im thinking now that the Grendel is a SAAMI cartridge, there are going to be some other barrel manufacturers stepping up to the plate as well. Also ammo prices are really getting down there on Grendel stuff as well which is nice.

Damn, decisions decisions.......guess I'll just build both.
    I went with the 15.5" barrel because I already had SBR lowers in my possession. If I had all Title 1 guns, I'd cut an 18" down to 16" and rethread. I hope AA gets with the program and revises their bbl specs to include 5/8x24 threading vs the loopy 9/16x24 for which there are very few good muzzle device choices.

I do know AA is producing CHF chrome lined 6.5G barrels in various sizes, to be available early next year.

You're right about ammo prices... $17.12 per 20 for the Hornady Amax, $12.95 per 20 for the Wolf Gold 120MPT, and much less for the Wolf 110gr steel cased ammo.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I would look at the 6x45 for your intended use. It will have better exterior ballistics than either the 6.8 or the Blackout at 600 yards and loading for it costs roughly the same as 5.56.
    It is not enough of an improvement over 5.56mm in anything to justify its existence.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ak74auto View Post
    I am looking to punch paper out to 5-600 meters ,plus hunt coyotes, hogs, and deer with the cartridge. It seems as though the 6.8 will fulfill those needs quite well. I have looked at the 6.5 Grendel, but decided against it due to production ammo selection.

What do you guys think, an why?
    For 500-600 Meters I would just get a 308/762 rifle.

Between the 6.8 or 300 BLK, I own rifles in both ctgs and right now I am digging the 300 BLK. The fact I can use unmodified mags and get 30 in a AR15 mag that also use for my 5.56 ammo is why I like it that best between the two. The TROY mags have been the best in my experience for the 300 BLK ammo and I use them for my 300 BLK rifle just because. For hunting 250 yards and in, I think either the 6.8 or 300 BLK will do just fine. I just enjoy the 30 cal holes "that" much more.
    John Noveske Changed My Life.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    It is not enough of an improvement over 5.56mm in anything to justify its existence.
    LOL, you have no idea

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post

The TROY mags have been the best in my experience for the 300 BLK ammo and I use them for my 300 BLK rifle just because.
    Have you ran any PMAGs or NHMTG mags with the 300 blk ammo? If so, did they not run as well as the TROYs?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lwrkeysfisher View Post
    I think the 6.8 is an excellent choice for what you want. It is a proven hunting round, and has taken every game animal in North America, including elk, deer, and hogs at 400+ yards. There are also a dozen factory hunting loads out there. As for target shooting I prefer the Hornady 110BTHP or 110VMax. The Hornady factory load(s) are still kicking along at ~1400fps at 600yds and decent handloads or the Wilson Combat load is still up around 1600fps at that range---from a 16" carbine. Many people including myself have had good luck shooting the 6.8 to 600yds.
    I'll second this.

Between the 6.8 and .300 for what you've specified the 6.8 will do just fine, the .300 will be underpowered.

I've had zero issues hitting targets at 600+ yards with my 18" 6.8 using 110gr VMAXes. Moving targets in the 400-500y range were also not a problem.

Feedback Score
    If not the Grendel for the long range stuff I'd definitely get the 6.8 spc. It's a great round and a real killer when it comes to hogs and deer.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Min hunting bullet diameter, maybe?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast