Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: What would one look for if they decided to buy an AK?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm new to the board, and I don't have any SLRs (planning on a BCM build for later this year).

I recently heard about the Bulgarian kit "Vectors."

Do Vector guns have the blessing of M4C AK connoisseurs?

I am a fan of both the AR and the AK, and I want to have one of each eventually.
    Last edited by rojocorsa; 02-04-11 at 23:46.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    I'm new to the board, and I don't have any SLRs (planning on a BCM build for later this year).

I recently heard about the Bulgarian kit "Vectors."

Do Vector guns have the blessing of M4C AK connoisseurs?

I am a fan of both the AR and the AK, and I want to have one of each eventually.
    Depends....Vector has been a decent AK in the past, bear in mind it will be built with a used parts kit, and possibly a non chrome lined US barrel.

Have a link?
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Templar, I wasn't thinking of anything specific. I was just wondering about Vector in general.

Truth be told, later after posting this, I decided that I would rather build (with some guidance) my first AK. Getting a Nodak Spud stripped receiver seems to me like a no nonsense thing to do.

Unless I am wrong. (I signed up for this board to learn, after all).

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Honestly, I'd highly recommend a good factory gun for a first or second AK, and then once you get to know your way around one, and what one is supposed to look like/run like, then maybe a build.

I'll be honest with you though, my opinion of the majority of home built AK's that I've seen over the past decade or so is not a very good one. There are a few guys who really know what they're doing and can build something really good, and then you have all the rest.

Also bear in mind that the cost of a good quality kit with an original chrome lined military barrel is getting prohibitively expensive.

The fewer US made parts, particularly the guts of the rifle, i.e. the barrel, receiver, bolt and FCG, the better.

Feedback Score
    Templar's words are golden.

Feedback Score
    Templar's right. Many home builders out there are screwing them together or using htings like flux core MIG welders and worse.

I'm a home builder. I feel I did mine very well. The ones I wasn't quite happy with, I went back and rebuilt until they were as good as I could do it.

It's not like wrenching together an AR. You need to have metal working skills. You'll need a drill press, hydraulic press and specialized rivet setting tools as well as fixtures to hold things as you press the barrel pin as well as the barrel itself in and out. The parts kits can be excellent and still have tolerance stacking issues that require things to be hand fitted. Then you'll have to finish it. Do you have access to a blast booth? Do you do your own parkerizing or moly resin work?

And you'll need 922r compliance parts to build into it. No more than ten foriegn parts allowed in it.

If you slap one together with screws and then Krylon it, you won't be happy with the results.

Unless you have these skills and tools available, you're better off with a professionally built rifle. This isn't stuff people can just talk you completely through on the internet. I coached my bro in law and nephew through their own builds in my work shop. That was after I spent a couple years building my own collection. Took a few days work. They bought new NDS receivers and they had good hand tool skills already. I just talked them through it one thing at a time and we had three days of quality time out in the man cave. Drove my sister nuts with it too! That made it more fun. A project like this is a time sponge to do well. Unless you can see all that time in a project as recreation, you're better off just buying a nice AK.

When I got started building my collection I was already a retired steam plant tech, machinist and welder. And I have a well equipped home shop. For me it was do-able.

I got my own kits when they were $100 to $175 each. So I could afford to get thecompliance parts, NDS receivers, rivet tools and built my own fixtures.... Now a days with a really excellent kits with original barrel fetching $300 to $500, the economics of it are gone.

Feedback Score

Century AKMS

I just saw one of the Century AKMS under-folders today on my dealers rack.

Thought it was just another WASR-style underfolder at first. But after picking it up... goodness gracious the sights are straight, the finish is sorta good, actual dimples instead of welded in shims, action was smooth, selector moved without a sound... It appeared to be a good rifle.

None of the numbers matched.

Price was $525.

Is Century doing this one right? Or is the barrel suspect?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    At this point in time theres really no practical purpose to building your own AK unless you are really experienced or just want to say you did it.

The availability of top quality factory rifles like the Arsenal SGL and SLR series at very reasonable prices makes it almost silly to bother with the other options.
    Last edited by lloydkristmas; 02-06-11 at 00:22.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I should have mentioned that if I actually did make a build, that I would seek assistance from someone experienced.

I wouldn't trust myself to do it on my own, I can tell you that much.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    I just saw one of the Century AKMS under-folders today on my dealers rack.

Thought it was just another WASR-style underfolder at first. But after picking it up... goodness gracious the sights are straight, the finish is sorta good, actual dimples instead of welded in shims, action was smooth, selector moved without a sound... It appeared to be a good rifle.

None of the numbers matched.

Price was $525.

Is Century doing this one right? Or is the barrel suspect?
    It most likey has a US made barrel by Green Mountain.

Non chrome lined, and I've seen some of the GM barrels that have had tight chambers, which contributed to stuck cases/failure to extract with Russian ammo.

Without seeing it in person though, couldn't tell you.

Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast