Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: What would one look for if they decided to buy an AK?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    There are a few threads currently running, if you'd take a look through here.

The easiest, shortest answer is to get one of the Arsenal Inc. SLR-106 or 107 series, depending on if you want a 5.56x45mm or a 7.62x39mm, with a folding stock; or one of the Arsenal Inc. SGL series.

Both are analogs to a Colt 6920. Made by the same people who make them for their militaries, out of military spec parts, in the same factory.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    There are a few threads currently running, if you'd take a look through here.

The easiest, shortest answer is to get one of the Arsenal Inc. SLR-106 or 107 series, depending on if you want a 5.56x45mm or a 7.62x39mm, with a folding stock; or one of the Arsenal Inc. SGL series.

Both are analogs to a Colt 6920. Made by the same people who make them for their militaries, out of military spec parts, in the same factory.
    Excellent that is the direction I was looking for....any reason to purchase one caliber over another? Thought 7.62x39 for cheap ammo and magazine availability...your thoughts? Also is there a high quality magazine I should be buying?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Take some time to read through some of the stuck threads, most of the answers you're looking for are there....including caliber choices, magazines, modifications, etc.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=30850

Feedback Score
    I own Arsenal examples of both main chamberings, your 7.62x39 is more available in this country but the 5.45x39 is cheaper right now. In 5.45x39 you have a generally more accurate platform but you are also limited to surplus ammo at this time. Right now the cream of the crop for AKs are the various Arsenal Inc. offerings or else some of the true pre ban weapons out there(generally above your price range). These are not ARs, most magazines work well although people do have their preferences. I've yet to have a magazine failure so I cant really comment one way or the other.
    Retired O-4
    USSOCCENT
    TF KBAR
    TF BOWIE

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks guys...seems Arsenal has exactly what I am looking for with the forward rail and folding stock. Price point is very good as well....issue is who stocks them? I looked at gunbroker and not many out there, local dealer only has the shotgun....anyone know of an online dealer who is stocking them and has fair to good prices?

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    I have an AT-47 which has a milled receiver (I don't know if that's good or bad) and the only observation I can make thus far is; the milled receiver seems tighter than the stamped ones I have handled and shot.

I can say that it shoots/ handles as good as the Polytech I had and sold to a buddy in a moment of financial weakness.

I'm far from an expert on the differing AK's that are out there but this was well under $1k and I am very happy with the performance I have gotten.

I have no problems out to 100yds (essentially the most I was looking for distance wise anyway). I bought it, cleaned it, lubed it with Mobile 1 and I've put about 2K rds through it with no failures.

It's an AK and it is what it is. Reliable, durable (so far) and priced where I was willing to go.

Not sure if this helps, it's just my 2 cents worth.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I guess I had the wrong assumptions of the SGL series.

Are those still worth looking into?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    I guess I had the wrong assumptions of the SGL series.

Are those still worth looking into?

Yes they are.

Feedback Score
    Arsenal as noted is the best of the Production guns available. Then the semi custom stuff like KrebsCustom.com Tromix and Red Jacket bubble up to to the top

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For the $$$ a hand picked and thoroughly gone over WASR-10 is a good AK. Ugly but should go bang everytime and deliver accuracy within acceptable limits when fed quality ammo.

Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast