Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: What would one look for if they decided to buy an AK?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It can, sure.....but if it's your first dance with an AK, I'd be extremely cautious.

I've seen some Fuller AK's in classes, but not handled them up close, they seemed to run fine. Not to take anything at all away from Jim, but I see a lot of newbies to AK's mention him, and I have to wonder why his name keeps popping up.

Mario at Piece of History Firearms, and Troy at InRange are the two guys I throw out there most often as first tier builders.

It's going to be less expensive, by far, to buy a SGL-21 or 31.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    I've seen some Fuller AK's in classes, but not handled them up close, they seemed to run fine. Not to take anything at all away from Jim, but I see a lot of newbies to AK's mention him, and I have to wonder why his name keeps popping up.
    A lot of people have the impression that the Warriortalk boards are the place to go for AK information, and he is heavily mentioned/marketed on there. That almost assuredly has something to do with it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Claren View Post
    A lot of people have the impression that the Warriortalk boards are the place to go for AK information, and he is heavily mentioned/marketed on there. That almost assuredly has something to do with it.

I thought it was something like that. Unfortunately, Fuller has tied himself with Suarez and Yeager.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Been saving up for my SGL-21 these days, I'm half way there (with taking the price of mags and ammo and a chest rig into account).

Anyway, what do people usually do after the finish on an Arsenal starts going out? Is it SOP to Duracoat it--And how much does something like that usually cost?

And Mario at POHF does amazing work; with his attention to detail, it's like Kalashnikov art.
    Last edited by rojocorsa; 07-17-11 at 02:54.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Been saving up for my SGL-21 these days, I'm half way there (with taking the price of mags and ammo and a chest rig into account).

Anyway, what do people usually do after the finish on an Arsenal starts going out? Is it SOP to Duracoat it--And how much does something like that usually cost?

And Mario at POHF does amazing work; with his attention to detail, it's like Kalashnikov art.

Haven't done anything, it's a non issue.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Haven't done anything, it's a non issue.
    Glad to hear that; some on CGN were talking like looking at it would make it fall off or something.

Just added another Benjamin to the AK fund today.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Templar,

I currently have a few Arsenal rifles, and have been considering purchasing one more AK (I have not decided on calibre, although I will probably just stick with 7.62X39) as a backup rifle.

I have been looking at everything from Polytech (I have never even fired one, so don't know if it is worth the extra cost, especially as this weapon is NOT going to be a safe queen and therefore will never be a collectors piece.) to Krebs, and haven't been able to figure out if;

(a) A stamped receiver is really lower quality than a milled receiver,

and

(b) If a custom built rifle is really any higher quality than a well built production model.

Most of my rifles are just range guns, but I'm hunting for a "field use" Kalashnikov, and don't know enough about AKs to feel like I can make a good decision...

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Whenever I see the picture of that Trijicon TA11 on the M16A2...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVekNsgUqn4

"Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score

Reality vs Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSierra View Post
    Templar,

I currently have a few Arsenal rifles, and have been considering purchasing one more AK (I have not decided on calibre, although I will probably just stick with 7.62X39) as a backup rifle.

I have been looking at everything from Polytech (I have never even fired one, so don't know if it is worth the extra cost, especially as this weapon is NOT going to be a safe queen and therefore will never be a collectors piece.) to Krebs, and haven't been able to figure out if;

(a) A stamped receiver is really lower quality than a milled receiver,

and

(b) If a custom built rifle is really any higher quality than a well built production model.

Most of my rifles are just range guns, but I'm hunting for a "field use" Kalashnikov, and don't know enough about AKs to feel like I can make a good decision...
    How many rounds can wear out a throw-away Ak - 40,000. If you fire that many rounds "in anger" than you have fought well and survived. A PSL in 7.62 x 54 will solve the utility issue. These are investments and tools...stock up on what you can afford and stick with it. 1.5 mm stamped is perfect. Ask and you shall gain the understanding of "does this Seller even know what he has"?
    Comfort is in knowing a competent Seller can direct you to what you are Really looking for. THEN i can trust what He is selling to me.

Feedback Score
    Anyone currently offer a 1.5mm non-USA manufactured receiver version? Everything I see is 1mm.

Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast