Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: What would one look for if they decided to buy an AK?

Feedback Score
    No century stay away from them

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliberClark View Post
    No century stay away from them
    My century has been flawless for 3k rounds. I'm not sure what your experience with them is.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Is the 90* gas block mechanically superior to the 45* gas block or was the update a cost/ease of manufacture thing?

Both. The Soviets were getting bullet shear in their AK-74's with the original 45* gas port, and they also found that if they went to a 90* port it almost guaranteed that the port would come in on a groove instead of a land.

To ease production, they instituted the 90* ports and gas blocks on all new AK production, as did the Bulgarians and Poles.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg_Leg View Post
    My century has been flawless for 3k rounds. I'm not sure what your experience with them is.
    You got lucky.

That is the problem with Centuries, you might get one that is great, then you might get one that is a nightmare.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    You got lucky.

That is the problem with Centuries, you might get one that is great, then you might get one that is a nightmare.
    This is a bit over-done.

The Century WASR 10/63s I have seen are decent. If you buy from AIM or Atlantic or Henderson, or pick them up at a show or shop with decent examination your probability of getting a tough, durable, and reliable AK are very good. And, while cruder than an Arsenal, as I understand it, you still get a hammer forged chrome lined EE barrel which should last, AND proper heat treatment of the receiver. i just don't hear that many 'nightmare' complaints (gun burst, unreliable, etc.) on 7.62 WASRs.

I do believe my SAR-1 is a decent serviceable AK which would be GTG if the SHTF. Flawless operation and mag changes are pretty smooth/tight.

My Yugo CAI has a chamber as generous as my 'milspec' SA 85, it is butter smooth, has a DCI reciever, and is VERY accurate for a 7.62 AK. I've also not heard/seen much for 'nightmare' complaints on these. These are NO HF barrels, and are not suited as 'carbine course' AKs per se, but are decent guns IF you can buy in person.

There was a real lemon of a Tantal reported here a while ago which would NOT happen with an Arsenal, so the point is taken. But, it all needs a bit of qualification.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Both. The Soviets were getting bullet shear in their AK-74's with the original 45* gas port, and they also found that if they went to a 90* port it almost guaranteed that the port would come in on a groove instead of a land.

To ease production, they instituted the 90* ports and gas blocks on all new AK production, as did the Bulgarians and Poles.
    That was [the shear] never a problem with the original 7.62 AKs with the M-43, was it? I'm guessing it must be due to the geometry of the 7N6?

Feedback Score
    I didn't read all of the post but one of the best AK's is the Israeli Galil it comes in 5.56x45 or 7.62x51 I haven't seen to many around so they may be hard to find. The 7.62x51 does have a good kick to it though, but with a 25 round mag that is a lot of fire power.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    That was [the shear] never a problem with the original 7.62 AKs with the M-43, was it? I'm guessing it must be due to the geometry of the 7N6?
    Correct, it was not a problem with the 7.62 rounds. The 5.45 travels faster, making shear more likely off of the oblong hole of an angled gas port. I wonder if the wider grooves of 7.62 made it more forgiving, as well.

Feedback Score
    Templar is there an "Aproved list of reputable AKM manufacturer's . like we have for M-4's Colt, Bravo Co.,Daniels Defense, and Noveske.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by abn45bravo View Post
    Templar is there an "Aproved list of reputable AKM manufacturer's . like we have for M-4's Colt, Bravo Co.,Daniels Defense, and Noveske.
    Unfortunately, the AK world is very different from the AR world.

Things change on a monthly basis, as these weapons either imported or built using imported parts.

Small operations go out of business pretty regularly.

The ban on importation of barrels and receivers has really hurt the AK field. There just isn't an entity here in the US that could match the command economy factories that the former Combloc states have in regards to building them.

Because of that, the one constant that I've found is Arsenal Inc. of Las Vegas, NV. Yes, they have had some ups and downs, but by and large, they are providing OEM foreign factory weapons with correct barrels and receivers.

If you're looking for a budget AK, a Century WASR 10/63 that has been looked over is a good option.

The main thing to avoid, still, are US made barrels. US companies can make some of the best barrels in the world, but unfortunately, the demographic that tends to buy AK's buys at a certain price point, which means you're not going to be getting a premium barrel from someone, you'll be getting one built to a certain price point that I sure as hell wouldn't be happy with.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast