Thread: JetBeam III R5 as weapon light

Feedback Score

JetBeam III R5 as weapon light

Hello Everyone,
    I got some excellent advice on candlepowerforums and decided to go with the 355 lumen Jet Beam III R5s. I was a little nervous dumping almost 400 bucks on lights I had never seen or even heard of, but I decided to go ahead. The lights are 85 bucks. Here is my experience:
    Ordering:
    I was frustrated by my inability to get JetBeam USA on the phone or get my messages returned. I did manage to get them on email and get answers to my questions. I ordered 2 Jet Beam III lights, 2 end caps ,weapon mounts, 2 pressure pads, a battery charger, a bunch of batteries, a strike bezel and a bezel installation tool. I got the product within a week. It came well packaged. The bezel install tool was back ordered. Given that , it would have been ideal for them to have contacted me and asked if I wanted them to install it. The bezel is now sitting on the counter waiting for an installation tool.
    Ordering process C+
    Installation/Set up
    Instructions were easy and clear. I set the light up for max power and strobe. The weapon mount was a generic offset mount made of black aluminum. It included an allen wrench . Interestingly enough, Surefire pressure pads are compatible with the light end cap from JetBeam. Pretty handy to have it compatible with existing systems I own. I installed the light at 9 o’clock rail of an A3 Steyr Aug. This put the light about 2 inches from the flash suppressor and barrel.
    Install and SetUp: A+
    Use:
    I spent the weekend teaching a patrol rifle course in Yakima. The light was subjected to 3 days of blown dirt. The light was subjected to 1000 recoil impacts, including 2 100 round rapid fire strings. This generates heat and near frequent vibration, forward and backward. Saturday night we did our night shooting. We had steal targets (roughly 8.5 by 11) at 50, 70 and 100 yards on a range. The range was probably 20 yards wide. All targets were clearly visible. Within the hotspot of the light I could make out fine detail. There was also enough spill that I could see the full width of the range well enough to find and identify targets. It was significantly brighter than surefire lights that were 3x the cost.
    Use: A+
    Minor complaints: the strike bezel is shiny, would like it to be matte. Would also like the vendor to answer their phone.
    Conclusion: This system is small, bright, and represents a good performance/price point. The light got banged around, slammed into car doors, cover, subjected to light but significant amounts of recoil. My conclusion is that this light is good to go, at least for a 5.56 rifle. I’ll run it on a shotgun and 308 rifle next and report back.
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Feedback Score
    I got my Jetbeam from Longhorn Tactical @ a DACA show,For 2 years now I haven't regretted it.
    Ephesians 6:12

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Nice writeup. Any update on Jetbeam? Did you ever get to test it on a shotgun or something higher recoiling? Sounds like it went through a pretty good test though.

I'm considering a Jetbeam for a weapons light but I'm unsure which one I want to get at this point, I'm still doing research. I'd really like to get something small like the Surefire Scount 600C, but I'm not going to spend that much on a light that will most likely just sit in my closet on the gun, out to the range a few times and maybe to a class or two...

I'm really impressed with the output of some of these lights for the price though.

Feedback Score
    Ive run one on an AR for approx 5 mo. now and haven't had any problems.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Some pics would be cool.

I would like to see, and the tools and mounts as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/