Thread: Upper Advice

Feedback Score

Lightbulb Upper Advice

First time posting on this forum, too.

I'm in the process of building my first AR. So far I have a CMMG lower with RRA LPK, RRA 2-Stage Trigger and a KNS pin set. The plan is to get a Mil-spec Magpul CTR stock and replace the RRA grip with a MIAD.

Now I've been flip flopping on the upper. At first I was going to go with a CMMG 14.5" SOCOM with a Fixed Vortex. But then there's all of the complications I may or may not have with the carbine gas system, that sorta threw me off. I was thinking about a 14.5" Middy but then figured I'd go with a 16" like everyone else.

Been looking around and I think I've settled on a Sabre Defence 16" SS fluted Middy. PKF has one in their custom builds. I'd upgrade and get the SD Upper as well. They don't mention shat kind of gas block they're using other then a low profile since it has a 10" Troy. The other thing they only have a choice of a RRA BCG. I'd imagine a SDI would be better but since it's a middy, the RRA shouldn't be an issue. Am I correct thinking this? From what I've been reading I don't need a fancy LMT Enhanced bolt or anything like that with a Middy.

Anything wrong with the upper? I'm trying to keep it around $800 or less.

Feedback Score
    55 views and no one with anything to add?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    That is a great upper that PK Firearms make. They you Troy lo pro gas blocks on their builds. You are correct that you don't need a upgraded bolt with a middy. The Rock River bolt is OK for that. I think I answered your questions.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    That is a great upper that PK Firearms make. They you Troy lo pro gas blocks on their builds. You are correct that you don't need a upgraded bolt with a middy. The Rock River bolt is OK for that. I think I answered your questions.
    Thanks for your help.

Do you think I'd be better off with a different BCG though? I was thinking about saving the $105 and getting maybe a Y/M. Would there be any difference between the two? Is it worth it to get a different bolt? I've been reading that the M16 bolts are better then the AR15's.

I'm also wondering about getting a DD 10" instead of the Troy. Good/bad?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I like the heaver bolt that the M16 uses. It seams to be a good combo with the Mid length gas system. Are you talking about the Young Manufacturing Chrome M-16 Bolt Carrier Assembly? If so that it is a heaver bolt and it is also chrome, which will make it easier to clean and have a longer life span. Is it worth the money?? I say the time you will save cleaning it it is worth the extra $60.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I like the heaver bolt that the M16 uses. It seams to be a good combo with the Mid length gas system. Are you talking about the Young Manufacturing Chrome M-16 Bolt Carrier Assembly? If so that it is a heaver bolt and it is also chrome, which will make it easier to clean and have a longer life span. Is it worth the money?? I say the time you will save cleaning it it is worth the extra $60.
    OK, good, that's the one I was thinking about.