Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mega Arms MA-Ten Mono

Feedback Score
    Since we broke off from the "Mono" discussion... Built this the month the MA-TEN's came out (low S/N). Love my MA-TEN. Need to take some new pics. I've had Marvin do 3 Noveske barrels for me and I've had them all Cerakote'd graphite black (got tired of the goofy bling stainless dimpled look. - Cool in pictures and stunning at first in-person, then you realize it just looks plain silly. MUCH better black.)
    Weight Thread

Last edited by Brahmzy; 05-09-12 at 15:46.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prdubi View Post
    let me get this straight.

The Mega- MA TEN mono upper, that complete upper can take either KAC or Armalite barrels?

What about the rest of the stuff??

is it good to just stick with one brand like the BCG or BC and other stuff?
    Mega will take either Armalite/Noveske or DPMS/KAC style bbls, but you wil need to use a BCG matched up to your choice. The mono comes with its own bbl but that threads into the inside diameter of the rail. The non mono requires a DPMS style bbl nut due to its thread pattern. Most everything other then bbl is DPMS pattern.

Mega now makes a single rail mono set. With this setup, weight its slimmed down a bit. I will definitely get one of these uppers when I build a 6.5 Creedmore. The rigidity of a mono upper without rails everywhere. I feel this is an awesome addition to the market as there seems to be a trend of single rail forends.

I personally feel Mega is the best option out there for building a large frame AR. It allows for Noveske lovers the ability to use one of Johns bbls but be able to use other components the wouldn't work in an Armalite gun and can take PMAGs.
    I digitally inserted Jaba the Hutt into the original Star Wars-Eric Cartman

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Great pics, guys!
    www.thealaskalife.com www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Posers buy guns. Shooters buy ammo.
    Okie John

Feedback Score

Found my picture of it on the scale and I stand corrected, 9.3 pounds

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Shot some handloads and the new 40 I picked up. Handloads were pretty impressive so far, now just to fine tune and better my shooting skills. I'm more then content with the Mega as a build platform. Only thing left on this set up is a paint job which is coming in July.

Here is a five shot grouping, far left was a called flier. Not extremely impressive, but will get the job done on elk for sure.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for sharing, I have a LMT MWS 308, I've been looking at the MA-Ten as an alternative to build another 308 AR rifle. I like the look and how you picked your items to build the rifle. I hope you post more info the build as you get more trigger time with it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

again

I wish to say thanks again for sharing .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    (from a total .308 ar noob) why the mega lower instead of an armalite or one of the others?
    thanks
    i like dating homeless girls.
    when you're done with them
    you can drop them off anywhere

Colt 6920(x2, soon to be 3), Glock 30s (×2), gen 4: 19,21.
    m70ab2 u/f, wasr

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

oops dbl post

god i need a new pc
    Last edited by filthy phil; 07-01-12 at 08:03.
    i like dating homeless girls.
    when you're done with them
    you can drop them off anywhere

Colt 6920(x2, soon to be 3), Glock 30s (×2), gen 4: 19,21.
    m70ab2 u/f, wasr

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uzimon View Post
    (from a total .308 ar noob) why the mega lower instead of an armalite or one of the others?
    thanks
    For a total noob here ya go..........

With the large frame 308 AR platform nearly everyone has their own style and only certain parts work with others. Noveske and Armalite play well together, DPMS/Bushy/Remington and Fultons are interchangable and so on so forth. Most others work with theirs and only their recievers.

There are two primary mag choices for these platforms; Armalite and DPMS/KAC. Many people have made their choice on this factor and so did I, $20 for a PMAG is extremely affordable when you get quite a few. *Don't base your purchase on this soley due to price expecially when guys will drop coin elsewhere in their build/kit for high dollar components.* I made the choice to go with PMAGs due to their proven reliability. The problem with PMAGs is they don't work in Armalite based recievers, yes they have one that takes them now, I know this. But Armalites are known for their reliability and accuracy, and we all know how damn good Noveske can make a bbl.

Anyways, so along comes Mega. Their receivers plug and play with most parts on the market, take PMAGs and will take whatever bbl pattern as long as you use coresponding bolt. Plus Mega has three different types of uppers, standard, Monolithic, and now their slim round Mono. I used the Mono as the rigidity of the upper is phenomenal.

Building an AR (small or large frame) allows you to use the components that you want and not have to worry about a parts box afterwards. But it does take a good deal of research and a competent individual to be able to assemble all the parts. The 308s are prone to problems more often with plug and play issues because there is no set standard. Knowing how to diagnos an issue is needed if parts don't work.

For mine, I have somewhere in the ball park of $2600 (just rifle) now that I've added a few pieces. It is up there pricewise with say an LMT MWS. The difference is that I built mine and have upgraded parts that end user would have to install on an MWS. This was a venture that I would do again. I love off the shelf guns but being able to build them is a joy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast