Thread: First AR - Centurion, Vltor, PSA and much more

Feedback Score

First AR - Centurion, Vltor, PSA and much more

Greetings to all.

Been registered for over a week, but was finally allowed to post this morning. Was hoping to get some input and other recommendations before I got started, oh well.

I swore that I would never get an AR. Never been a fan, and it got to the point that it was more of a "Status" symbol with a lot of people, like Harleys and Glocks.

Well...I bit into it. A variety of conditions culminated into my decision to cross over.

I was referred over here by a member on another forum dedicated to concealed carry.

Anyhow, not sure if this qualifies as a "build" per the specs in the sticky, but it is a variety of parts from a variety of manufacturers.

Knowing nothing about these weapons other than there are a ton of brands and even more options to customize, I asked for recommendations, I did my research, did some touchy feely at some local gunshops, and here is the end result (all colors in black)-

Upper consisting of the following;
    Centurion 16" CHF barrel - 1 in 7" w/A2
    Centurion 12" C4 rail
    Badger low profile gas block - mid length
    Vltor MUR-1A receiver
    PSA auto BCG
    BCM Gunfighter med. charging handle

The barrel, receiver, and rail was based on the opinions of a great many people as being top quality products made by people that know what what works best.

I wanted a longer barrel, but I am not convinced that at the longer ranges (300y+) the ballistics are there to support my not so accurate and untrained shooting skills. Shot placement is crucial, but can be offset by bigger and heaver. I'll stick with my 7.62/.30 cal. for the longer ranges. So the 16" won out for CQB, HD, and mid range shooting. CHF over SS for longevity. Almost went with their Mk262 optimized SS barrel, but I fell back on the range issue.

The auto BCG for the mass over the standard BCG, charging handle as the top pick among all others.

Lower -
    PSA stripped lower.
    PSA LPK
    Magpul MIAD
    Troy ambi mag and bolt release
    Ambi selector
    Vltor eMod A5 receiver extension and stock.

I chose PSA as being top quality with a decent price. They have a good reputation going for a new company and I have not heard anything negative about the lowers. Their trigger seems to be of top quality for a standard milspec. It's a stripped lower and LPK that I have to assemble, so maybe that qualifies as a "build".

The stock & A5 extension I chose as I need a long LOP. Freakish long arms and neck combined with loss of circulation and feeling in my hand if my arm is bent that tight.

The MIAD - I really like the options to modify the grip for comfort and ergonomics.

The ambi stuff - Troy works.

Add ons -
    Troy folding BUIS
    Troy PRO sling mount and swivel
    BFG VCAS padded sling
    Aimpoint PRO
    Rail covers (provided by Centurion, not sure what brand yet)
    Magpul AFG1
    20rd Pmags
    Streamlight TLR1-S
    Kalinka POSP 6x42, 400m rangefinder, ill. ret.

BUIS - again, Troy works.

Aimpoint PRO - I have never even looked through a red dot. This was the #1 recommendation for both entry level, and should never need to upgrade.

The AFG for the ergonomics. I didn't care for the straight fore grips.

Streamlight has a good reputation, and I wanted a more compact LED light that is weapon dedicated. I have a tac flashlight already on my hip.

POSP - Yes, it's an off brand, Russian made scope. I am sold on them. I like the Dragunov type reticule and rangefinder - works good for the untrained shooter in range estimation and adjustment. That and my 8x42 POSP that is mounted to my PSL (7.62x54r) has taken a lot of hammering by that rifle, and still holds zero after 2k rounds.

Yes, I spent an arse load of money on this project (last night). The intent was to have a carbine that will be reliable, last a long time, take some abuse by Ma Nature and myself, and most importantly - doing it right the first time saves money. I did not want to by an "off the shelf" rifle then spend years and even more money doing upgrades as I go.

Still deciding on paint, if any.

Everything is either on order or in transit. Hopefully will all be here in the next couple of weeks.

Again, per guidelines, I won't post any pics until it is assembled.

So, instead of recommendations, I guess this is now open for critique.
    Last edited by Sticks; 11-29-11 at 06:01.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    So you have a scope and an Aimpoint PRO?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sounds like you should have everything that you need, selection of parts sounds like you picked up a lot of quality parts. Build it and send pics. Should be good to go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    So you have a scope and an Aimpoint PRO?
    Yup, but obviously I will only be using one at a time. The scope will stay in the case unless I am doing some long range (100y+) plinking or varmit hunting.

6x is a bit much for silhouette shooting under 50y

Feedback Score

Waiting.....

The wife has commandeered any and all arriving parts for my build as my "Christmas Present".

Having said that...I am still waiting for everything that was ordered on Nov 28th barring the Centurion upper, which Monty having just returned from wherever he was was trying to get rolling again (still).

At this point I am beyond frustrated.

PSA - it was a rather simple order. Auto BCG, MIAD w/ LPK, and a stripped lower. Everything ordered on Nov 28th. Nov 29th, I had my FFL fax in their license including my order number and all other pertinent info, and send PSA a notice that my order requires FFL, and to let me know that they got it. Dec 1, I get an email notification that a package was shipped via UPS and a scheduled delivery of Dec 7. I keep an eye on the tracking number and it just states that the tag was created. Dec 5, I send an e-mail inquiring why the package has not shipped - never received a response. Fast forward to Dec 11 and finally some movement. On the 13th, I get a notification that another shipping tag was created through USPS, meaning the order was split into 2, I have no idea what is arriving and where. By the 14th, it's my BCG and LPK arriving at my home (I specifically requested that the entire order be shipped to my FFL in the Nov 29 email).

Once again, no movement until Dec 16. I can somewhat understand that they may be busy, but their customer service I find to be left wanting. It's not like they have to build anything (I can see a delay for complete uppers and lowers). Grab parts off the shelf, drop it in a box, send it out the door. If you are out of stock, send an email stating this to the person that ordered it. But to create a shipping tag and sit on it for a week or more, and not respond to inquiries abut the order hold up... Good way to loose future business.

Aimpoint PRO purchased from a dealer on Gunbroker, was out of stock (first strike - selling an item you know you don't have). Still waiting on US Customs to release the shipment then get sent to the retailers...according to them. Still no word other than it's a week later than they said they expected them in from my last communication with them.

My rear sight is still on backorder for another est. 2 weeks, but the other 3 backordered items shipped yesterday.

In short, I currently have a pile of parts that mean and do nothing, 500 rounds of ammo, another 1k ready for reloading (new brass & bullets). By the middle of next week I will finally have everything but the upper, optic, and rear sight. Just waiting for Monty to get his feet under him. Done by Christmas (which was the plan) is definitely out the window. Mid Jan if this trend keeps up.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep