Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting a Glock well

Feedback Score

Shooting a Glock well

Since there is already a thread on Glock accuracy I wanted to get some tips on how to shoot one accurately. With every Glock I've ever tried I pulled my shots left [I am right handed]. I am no beginner and have relegated myself to DA/SA and SA only guns. I want to like the Glock, there is much to like. What have some of you done regarding pulling shots with a Glock? I know I'm not the only one.
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It's called "glocking your trigger" I still do it to some extent. I know pretty experienced shooters who have their sights adjusted for their trigger glocking.

My shots will pull left edge of a 4"X4" square at 15 yards.... and that's with slow fire, extra effort.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    When I was practicing a lot and jumping from one gun to another it also happened to me... magically cured itself with a few magazines, and if I only shot the glocks then I was really accurate with them (no problems hitting small targets at 25 m). But transition from a 1911 with a fine trigger to a glock and nearly always it required brain/grip/finger adjustment.

To me, adjusting the sights was never an issue, I found it was much better to get used to the gun than adjust it to my trigger jerks or whatever, no matter how repeatable they seemed when I just grabbed the gun coming from another with a much nicer trigger.
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 11-29-11 at 12:04.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    To me, adjusting the sights was never an issue, I found it was much better to get used to the gun than adjust it to my trigger jerks or whatever, no matter how repeatable they seemed when I just grabbed the gun coming from another with a much nicer trigger.
    I agree. Adjusting sights to accomodate bad shooting shocked me!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have the Same G22 that I first carried over 10 years back. I didn't used to glock my trigger when I was younger. But I do it a little now... both on my G17 and the Same G22.

Feedback Score
    It could possibly be the weapon, but I would check this by sandbagging the pistol from a bench and shooting it. Have more than one person do it if need be, preferably a very good shooter. Another option is to let a second person who knows what they are doing, to operate the trigger independently.

For myself I have less issues on the Gen4's due to the smaller grip size which allows me to maintain the grip that I want while getting a better reach on the trigger to get the type of pull that I desire. I am very far out on the last pad of the finger, with a very pronounced curl in the trigger finger and no frame contact which means that I only engage the face of the trigger in a straight to the rear movement. This results in no side influence on the trigger or the frame of the pistol. On the Gen 3's and earlier this is more difficult for me to achieve with a larger grip size and I need to adjust my grip or I may start having frame contact with my trigger finger and a bit of side influence on the trigger itself and I may start pushing the weapon to the left as I pull the trigger.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It's called "glocking your trigger" I still do it to some extent. I know pretty experienced shooters who have their sights adjusted for their trigger glocking...
    I'm a novice shooter and a new to Glocks. My shots also tend to group left. Can you explain what "glocking the trigger" is?
    Thanks,
    CJ

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I spent much of my life shooting in formal NRA and military competition with tuned S&W revolvers, match-grade 1911s, match-grade Garands and M-14's, and custom Model 52 and Model 70 Winchesters. The Glock's longer, heavier trigger is so utterly different that retraining myself to master it has been a major undertaking.

The first thing I had to do was realize that my previous standards for accuracy were not realistic. They came from a precision rifleman's mindset that had been applied to handguns and then distorted by the excessive focus on hardware that plagues all gamesmen.

Then I had to make myself understand that I'm not training to shoot unrealistic courses of fire with unrealistically modified weapons--I'm training to win fights using gear, techniques, training, and tactics that simply didn't exist when I was starting out.

The main thing that helps me shoot a Glock well is a new trigger stroke. Waiting for a surprise break as I would have with a proper match trigger takes so long that it actually makes groups bigger. Instead, I use the same vigorous, smooth press that I'd use on a staple gun, and it has cut my groups roughly in half. I also use a VERY firm grip--much firmer than I ever used on the match guns of my youth.

Live and learn, I guess.

Okie John

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    On the Gen 3's and earlier this is more difficult for me to achieve with a larger grip size and I need to adjust my grip or I may start having frame contact with my trigger finger and a bit of side influence on the trigger itself and I may start pushing the weapon to the left as I pull the trigger.
    Thanks for this.

I'm going to look into it as soon as I get home from work tonight.

Okie John

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Something that helped me was reading a comment by LAV about shooting a Glock like a revolver. Trying to make it break right now will throw shoots. Pulling smoothly through is more likely to yield a centered hit. Guns like 1911's allow one to be sloppier for the same accuracy on target.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast