Thread: Just finished my latest general purpose build

Feedback Score

Just finished my latest general purpose build

After going through two completely custom builds entirely assembled by myself, I decided for this one I just wanted an upper that 'just works'. So it had to be a complete upper manufactured by one of the usual suspects (BCM, Larue, Noveske, Colt, etc...). Well, DSG Arms had a wonderful promo taking $75 off any Noveske Upper in addition to their already lowered prices. I ended up with a 14.5" Basic Mid-length w/ pinned AAC Blackout for just $697 shipped. I don't think I could find a better deal for a 14.5" middy upper of this quality anywhere else, considering it includes the FH already pinned for non-NFA, a barrel-matched BCG, and Gunfighter CH. Heck, this makes it even cheaper than the Spike's Tactical Elite uppers AIM Surplus has for sale. Here are the full specs of what I built around this upper and what you can consider is the end product of my lurking and reading from this site:

Upper Half
    14.5" Noveske Light Basic Upper Mid-Length (w/ BCG, Gunfighter CH, Pinned AAC Blackout FH)
    Daniel Defense Omega 9.0 Rail + Rail Ladder Covers
    Troy Rear Folding Battlesight
    Magpul AFG2 Foregrip (after test running it on my 15-22, I like it)
    Aimpoint T-1 Micro on a Daniel Defense Mount

Lower Half
    Spikes Tactical Lower Receiver
    G&R Tactical Lower Parts Kit
    Geissele SSA Trigger
    LMT Buffer Tube, Castle Nut, Action Spring, H-Buffer
    Noveske QD Backplate (center punch staked)
    Vltor Imod Basic Buttstock
    Magpul MOE+ Pistol Grip

Final weight specs w/ optic: 7lb 4oz unloaded, 8lb 4oz loaded

I guess the only thing I'm really missing is a sling (kind of hoping the MS3 will come out soon) and a flashlight mount for my Surefire G2X. Let me know what you folks think and if there might be any suggestions/criticisms with it as is.
    Last edited by soupy; 11-29-11 at 20:03.

Feedback Score
    Looks great
    "I don't understand a word you saying! What are the clouds running from? There's something, in the air tonight. Something is wrong! Spit it out!" - Enter Shikari

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Awesome build man! Simple, light weight, and elegant. That's a nice find on that upper.

I am sure someone will tell you to stake your castle nut, but if you are planning running the MS3, might as well wait and see if you like it first.

Since you are waiting for the MS3, might as well wait for the new IWC/Haley mount and its review before deciding.

Have fun shooting.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I'd install a noveske qd endplate for the sake of versatility and use a gear sector or danger close light mount. As for the sling, I'd just spring for a vcas with aluminum hardware and qd attachments. Otherwise, nice build.

Oh... and there's a spider on your rifle... might wanna kill it. Looks poisonous.
    Last edited by lethal dose; 11-29-11 at 21:42.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Very nice

+1 on a padded vcas with sewn in qd's, you are already setup for one.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. Oh the castle nut is staked already, I couldn't possibly call this a worthy build if otherwise. I also like to do a paint marking on another hatch for a secondary visual indicator. I also already have the Noveske QD endplate installed on this.

The IWC/Haley light mount in thorntail looks perfect to how I'd like to mount my G2X, but I want to see some user reports first. At $70 right now on Haley's website...these aren't the cheapest mounts ever...

Hey, if anything, the spider makes some of the best finished lowers for its price range. I couldn't justify paying double just to have matching roll marks . Money for that trigger had to come from somewhere!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great looking rifle man. Looks likes an awesome set up.

Feedback Score
    Is the rifle select fire?? Nice.