Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting another Noveske build!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    I understand. I've been considering either having 16" Recon barrel fluted or dimpled or just buying a 14.5" Afghan barrel already fluted just for the heck of it. I tend to think the 14.5 fluted Afghan might offer a fairly lightweight tackdriver for out to 400 or so yards.
    Those 14.5" Noveske barrels shoot very very well. The only thing you have to account for is the velocity you gain/lose depending on barrel length.
    John Noveske Changed My Life.

Feedback Score
    Good info Cold. So I went ahead and ordered a 13" TRX Extreme so I can switch rails with the 16" and 14.5" until I find the best length. I can always sell the "Like New" 11" TRX Extreme if I need something longer.
    NRA Lifetime Member
    Firearms and Diesel Trucks....the left's worst nightmare!

Feedback Score
    Cold,

What is the weight savings by going with the fluted noveske barrel?
    I know what Joel told me, but I will wait to tell ya so I have a first hand account. I ordered a Noveske Fluted Afghan from Werner Arms, best customer service I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. From Joel's advice I had Noveske do 7 flutes to Max depth. Noveske should be fluting it Friday and hopefully I will get it before next weekend since Werner Arms had Noveske ship it directly to me. I am still amazing at the price I got it for.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've got the 14.5" fluted Afghan sitting in my safe waiting on me to assemble. I bought it from DSG Arms. I'm still undecided on muzzle devices. Most of mine get Batlecomps but on a precision type rig I'm thinking of a Surefire or AAC. I do not know this, but tend to have better luck on true precision barrel with more open muzzle devices.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    I've got the 14.5" fluted Afghan sitting in my safe waiting on me to assemble. I bought it from DSG Arms. I'm still undecided on muzzle devices. Most of mine get Batlecomps but on a precision type rig I'm thinking of a Surefire or AAC. I do not know this, but tend to have better luck on true precision barrel with more open muzzle devices.
    Joel told me weight loss varies depending on how you get it fluted. I got my Afghan with 7 flutes to max depth. Do you know off hand how many flutes you had, how deep they were, and how much the barrel currently weighs? I am still weighting on mine to show up and would love to know.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlwest86 View Post
    Joel told me weight loss varies depending on how you get it fluted. I got my Afghan with 7 flutes to max depth. Do you know off hand how many flutes you had, how deep they were, and how much the barrel currently weighs? I am still weighting on mine to show up and would love to know.
    I just weighed it. With the gas block it weighs 29.4 ozs. and has 5 flutes. I don't have a way to measure how deep the flutes are. As an aside I also have a 14.5 Centurion LW middie in the safe. It is a chrome lined model and with the gas block still on it weighs 25.0 ozs. If I remember correcly the Centurion is about 2 ozs. heavier than a true pencil profile and the pencil is about 4 ozs. lighter than an M4 profile. So, my Noveske should be about 2 ozs. heavier than a standard 14.5" profiled barrel. I just got in the rest of the parts so it is ready to assemble.

My goal is for the fully assembled rifle to be about 6.5lbs. before adding optics, lights, slings, etc. I've got a 12" Centurion rail, Noveske stripped upper and lower, SSA-E, and CTR. If it doesn't balance well I'll replace the CTR with a SOPMOD. My only unknown is whether to use the BattleComp or look at a Surefire or AAC muzzle device as a .556 suppressor is up next and as I said previously I'm a big fan of the Battlecomp but am considering something else for my Noveske S.S. barreled carbines.

Feedback Score
    I just weighed it. With the gas block it weighs 29.4 ozs. and has 5 flutes. I don't have a way to measure how deep the flutes are. As an aside I also have a 14.5 Centurion LW middie in the safe. It is a chrome lined model and with the gas block still on it weighs 25.0 ozs. If I remember correcly the Centurion is about 2 ozs. heavier than a true pencil profile and the pencil is about 4 ozs. lighter than an M4 profile. So, my Noveske should be about 2 ozs. heavier than a standard 14.5" profiled barrel. I just got in the rest of the parts so it is ready to assemble.

My goal is for the fully assembled rifle to be about 6.5lbs. before adding optics, lights, slings, etc. I've got a 12" Centurion rail, Noveske stripped upper and lower, SSA-E, and CTR. If it doesn't balance well I'll replace the CTR with a SOPMOD. My only unknown is whether to use the BattleComp or look at a Surefire or AAC muzzle device as a .556 suppressor is up next and as I said previously I'm a big fan of the Battlecomp but am considering something else for my Noveske S.S. barreled carbines.
    Awesome! That is great to hear. I am putting a swithblock on it and I am hoping that my barrel will be around 26oz. The switchblock will add about 2oz. I think I will be able to come close to that with 7 flutes. Joel said 7 flutes at max depth will take out the most so we will see if it will be that light or not. I am not sure if the barrels with DSArms are at max depth or not, but I feel a lot better about being able to get my desired weight. I will make sure to post the weight once I get it.

I would love to be able to go as low as 6.5lbs but I am using a Mega mono upper so I will settle for around 7lbs w/o mag or optic. I figure add 1lb for the mag, about 1lb for an optic, and about 1lb for a suppressor. Hopefully suppressed, loaded, w/optic it will be right under 10lbs. We shall see. Thanks a lot for weighing your barrel. I hope it wasn't too much trouble.

Feedback Score
    Hey guy's do you mind if I post a few pictures?

Just finished the build and took it to the range.

I lubed the gun up and took some Fiocchi 55gr ammo since this is my lowest power for testing. I had an H2 installed with a standard carbine spring backing up my FN BCG.

The BC was pinned and welded but I didn't like the finish so I spent some time stoning the weld until it looked smooth and clean. Might need another spot protruding just to make sure there is no question it's welded.

First mag was shot at 25 yrds and a few clicks left and a few up to dial in the Comp M2. Last round and the BCG did not lock back. What the? So I looked the gun over and the BCG was moving smoothly and the mag follower was pushing up on the bolt catch so I thought it was the H2. Swapped out to a standard carbine buffer and fired a round of three. Last round and the BCG still did not lock back.

I looked at the assembly with the take down pin out and upper swung open. I was manually operating the bolt catch but the bolt catch was not moving to the up position. I manually activated it and it was sticking so I split the AR and looked at the bolt catch. Well what did I find but a small dot of metal on the back face. It looked like spatter from a weld landed on the face. I have a stone in my kit so I knocked the spot down (location shown with a black dot) and assembled the AR.

I ran 5 single round mag loads and the BCG locked back every time. I put the H2 back in and fired a few single round mags to test the BCG lock back and all were successful.

Moved the target out to 50 then to 100 for my final sighting and I had no issues. Checked the gun over when I got home and took a few pictures and decided to install the H buffer for my next time out which will be a lot of rounds in a fast fire drill. I only had an H2 at the time of assembly and just received the H buffer from a member on this site which will be the buffer I wish to start with. I can adjust based on the ammo I shoot which is normally XM193F.

Troy rail pinched and secure.

QD installed on rail.

Sitting next to the 16" Noveske build for distance shooting.

Loving the Noveske's....
    Last edited by Blowby; 01-14-12 at 21:26.
    NRA Lifetime Member
    Firearms and Diesel Trucks....the left's worst nightmare!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Good looking rifles. Why did you choose the muzzle devices you did? Not a criticism at all just wondering. With the exception of color your 2 look remarkably to mine, right down to stock selection! I used the 3 gun trigger on my Recon and am planning on a SSA-E or SSA on the Afghan, haven't decided yet. I prefer the SSA-E but generally use SSa's on anything that is CQB or self defense intended.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
    Hey guy's do you mind if I post a few pictures?

Just finished the build and took it to the range.

I lubed the gun up and took some Fiocchi 55gr ammo since this is my lowest power for testing. I had an H2 installed with a standard carbine spring backing up my FN BCG.

The BC was pinned and welded but I didn't like the finish so I spent some time stoning the weld until it looked smooth and clean. Might need another spot protruding just to make sure there is no question it's welded.

First mag was shot at 25 yrds and a few clicks left and a few up to dial in the Comp M2. Last round and the BCG did not lock back. What the? So I looked the gun over and the BCG was moving smoothly and the mag follower was pushing up on the bolt catch so I thought it was the H2. Swapped out to a standard carbine buffer and fired a round of three. Last round and the BCG still did not lock back.

I looked at the assembly with the take down pin out and upper swung open. I was manually operating the bolt catch but the bolt catch was not moving to the up position. I manually activated it and it was sticking so I split the AR and looked at the bolt catch. Well what did I find but a small dot of metal on the back face. It looked like spatter from a weld landed on the face. I have a stone in my kit so I knocked the spot down (location shown with a black dot) and assembled the AR.

I ran 5 single round mag loads and the BCG locked back every time. I put the H2 back in and fired a few single round mags to test the BCG lock back and all were successful.

Moved the target out to 50 then to 100 for my final sighting and I had no issues. Checked the gun over when I got home and took a few pictures and decided to install the H buffer for my next time out which will be a lot of rounds in a fast fire drill. I only had an H2 at the time of assembly and just received the H buffer from a member on this site which will be the buffer I wish to start with. I can adjust based on the ammo I shoot which is normally XM193F.

Troy rail pinched and secure.

QD installed on rail.

Sitting next to the 16" Noveske build for distance shooting.

Loving the Noveske's....
    Nicely done. That is a great pair of rifles you have there. Hopefully I didn't make the wrong decision by going with the 14.5" barrel since Noveske has a lightweight 16". I figured since I live in WV and will only have shoots out to about 300 yards the 14.5" will be fine. Wait, I purchased a Noveske...there is no wrong decision.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast