Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DD Omega too replace my KAC RAS? Opinions wanted!

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

DD Omega too replace my KAC RAS? Opinions wanted!

Ok, so I've been considering replacing my KAC RAS sets for a while now with Daniel Defense Omega rails, and I would like your opinions. I also considered MOE handguards, but the omega rail is almost as light and much more solid, but also much more expensive.

Reasons to switch to Omega Rails:
    Omega is lighter than KAC RAS
    Thinner
    Built in QD sling socket
    Free floats the barrel

Reasons not to:
    Expensive $$$$$$$ (but I can sell the KAC RASes to make back some money afterwards)
    free float benefit is almost negligible
    can't mount M203 or Masterkey (for a while I actually did plan on getting a Masterkey haha. What else am I gonna use that useless M203 notch for? )

Anyways, here are my rifles... their configs wouldnt change much if i got the rails, except that i would probably use the DD rail covers along the whole RAS as well instead of the XTMs. I also might ditch the Grippod and RVG altogether. How well do the Omegas hold up to rapid heating caused by rapid fire? I know that these KAC rails can get too hot to hold sometimes! That's why I put the RVG on the M4 in the first place.
    Let me know what you think! Im just looking for opinions.

Last edited by masakari; 07-18-11 at 22:34.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    M16A4 is cool and you've got yours set up just about as well as anyone could, but it has the maneuverability of a musket and you might be better off getting another 16 inch.

While omega rails aren't as wide and certainly are light (especially the Omega X rails), they are a bit taller.

If you're going to do it, do it right. RIS II, with or without the FSB cutout. Both can mount an M203. Armorer install, can be had for 3 bills. Install is usually relatively inexpensive. It's what the military went with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzV5IRdbOjE

Pictures from redback one's blog of his personal rig built by centurion arms.

Centurion Arms C4 rails are getting good marks too.

https://centurionarms.com/index.php?...123&Itemid=154
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I ran a DD Omega overseas for two years without issues and it never failed me, unlike my Magpul rail covers (as pictured on your gun).

I have the RIS II on my Conus guns and they work fine. Of the two, I prefer the RIS II.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    If it ain't broke then don't fix it. The KAS RAS may not be the newest flavor of the day, but they are solid performers. You'd be better off using that money for a class or getting more training ammo to practice with. Be safe!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBody View Post
    If it ain't broke then don't fix it. The KAS RAS may not be the newest flavor of the day, but they are solid performers. You'd be better off using that money for a class or getting more training ammo to practice with. Be safe!
    I agree. I hate the I Beam feel of most of the DD rails. The RIS II rails are nice with the low bottom rail.

But I'd never swap a RAS for an Omega... even though the RAS isn't FF.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    140 (100%)
    Personally, I wouldn't switch it on the M16a4 clone.
    I would switch to the 12.0 Omega X FSP rail on the M4gery though; personally I like the longer rail and the ability to put a light in front of the FSP. If it was simply going to be for the 7" rail on the carbine, I'm not sure I really see what you gain other than a little weight loss, especially if you aren't mounting anything on it that requires it to be FF.
    You dig your grave with your fork.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I agree. I hate the I Beam feel of most of the DD rails. The RIS II rails are nice with the low bottom rail.

But I'd never swap a RAS for an Omega... even though the RAS isn't FF.
    Hmm, any other reasons why? I have KAC RAS on my 6920 and have been pleased with them. I was also considering the Omega rails for my BCM with another set of RAS rails as a close 2nd option. Would I be better off with the RAS? I have no experience with the Omegas.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If it ain't broke then don't fix it. The KAS RAS may not be the newest flavor of the day, but they are solid performers. You'd be better off using that money for a class or getting more training ammo to practice with.
    There it is.

How much ammo can you buy with the delta between what you'll spend on a new DD and what you'd make selling off the Knight?

It ain't the gadget. Proficiency comes with trigger time.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Have troy rails, dd, and mi. Don't have ris, so can't comment. As for the others, flip a coin. All rails get hot when you get happy trigger or f/a. This is the reason(for me) for vfg, gloves, etc. Hey., it's your money, just don't go crazy and run out of ammo money. Lol

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    It's hard to argue against the "spend money on training and ammo" crowd. However, if you do feel the need to free-float, a better option might be the Centurion Arms rails. These install on the existing barrel nut and will arguably be stronger than the Omega, and they won't require additional gunsmithing beyond cutting the delta ring assembly that would come with, say, the RIS II or Omega X.

One difficulty with the Omega is getting accessories on or off the rail due to the handguard cap. This was a problem for me with a triangular handguard cap (e.g., on a BCM middy) and accessories that slide onto the rail (not sure if if would be a problem with the round cap). This is of course due to how narrow they are. I did find the narrow rails to be comfortable in the hand, though.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast