Thread: Precision rifle build

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Precision rifle build

Most recent photos are first.

I recently put together a new rifle with precision shooting in mind. Here's a run down with information and why I chose that particular piece of equipment.

BCM upper receiver good quality, made to spec, I was considering a VLTOR but decided against it for now, price point was the deciding factor. I have one on my SBR and might swap them out.

Rainier Arms 18" match barrel-Wilson blank, 1/8 twist, midlenth gas with a RA gas block. I chose RA for several reasons; I have a Noveske and wanted to try something new, it was in the configuration I wanted and fit my budget. Why midlength? Honestly I wanted to see what the hype was about, in addition to the fact that I just didn't want a rifle length gas system. I went with the RA gas block on recommendation from the guys at RA.

BCM auto bolt carrier group - Known quality, made to spec, properly staked and MPI tested

Gunfighter Mod 3- I want to run magnified optics on this rig and figured I would like the larger latch (I was correct). Also I have the Mod 4 on my SBR and love it.

Daniel Defense 14.0 lite rail-I have said that in my opinion very few people actually NEED a rail. I see a need if a person were using a bipod/peq box/flip up irons/ flashlight/force multiplier widget. Thus I was going to get a VTAC tube and only mount sections of rail where I have a light, grip, bipod and irons. As I was thinking about it I realized how often I change something's position or try something new out. At that point I would have to remove the tube, remove the gadget, find the new spot, reinstall the rail and so on. I already have experience with a DD lite rail and for these reasons I thought a rail is the way to go. Why 14? In terms of weight it is not much heavier than the tube I was considering and by some small and perhaps immeasurable portion it might give me a more stable platform i.e. I could mount my bipod further forward thus making it more stable. Witchcraft and heresy? Most likely, but hey, whatever.

Surefire MB556K-good brake for follow up shots

Magpul RSA to run a my VTAC sling

Primary Arms 4-16x44 illuminated mil dot on a Larue LT104. It is a place holder until I can save up for a Vortex 4-16x50 Mil Dot with MRAD turrets.

The lower is a Mega with a local shops roll mark. I have another Mega and really like it, plus I was supporting a local veteran owned business. I put a Timney single stage in and I must say I'm very impressed, I understand most folks like Geiselle (and with good reason) but this has a great single stage break that I really like. I went with a PRS to get a good consistent cheek weld because the UBR just wasn't doing it for me.

It shoots great! I shot 55 gr. and 62 gr. and it was tons of fun. I would recommend a Rainier Arms barrel to anyone as it is much more capable than me.

This was with PMC 62gr steel penetrators at 100 yards with a 15 mph wind.
    Last edited by zombie killer; 04-24-12 at 22:56. Reason: add pictures and info

Feedback Score
    How do you like the mid-length gas system? Is it pretty soft-shooting? More or less bite than your standard rifle-length?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My other rifle has a carbine length gas system but I really don't notice much of a difference.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Those look like the Larue Index clips. Did you color those yourself?

Never mind, they appear to be the patriot clips by larue.
    Last edited by yugotprblms; 12-02-11 at 13:29.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They are, I traded for them on TOS. But they're now available in a set with red, white and blue.

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-p...lip-set-72-pcs

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yep, that's pretty cool.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Update with new widgets and a paint job.