Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All purpose 12.5" combat rifle

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

All purpose 12.5" combat rifle

I must mention that this rifle is a direct descendent of the ideas and concepts I have learned from markm and pappabear in their 12.5" Long Range Suppressed Precision thread.

The purpose of this rifle is to do as much of everything while sacrificing as little as possible, literally a general purpose or all purpose rifle. I wanted the ability to reach out passed 500 yards while still being able to engage targets effectively in tight spaces where weight and length are big penalties. This meant the weapon had to be lightweight, short, agile, and accurate. I also wanted simple. Simple is good.

The compents are:

BCM 12.5" SS410 Barrel: Everyone here knows that BCM shares the top spot with Noveske and a few others when it comes to accurate, reliable stainless steel barrels. I chose BCM because of the availability in an assembled upper and the price.

DD OmegaX 7" Rail: Out of everything on this upper, this took the most time to decide. Free float was a must for accuracy. My last upper had a Centurion Arms rail on it, which I really like and will use again. However the OmegaX rail is actually lighter than the Centurion rail, it has the same features (sling QD points) and was available from BCM already assembled. In hindsight, I probably should have gone with a Centurion 9" FSP cutout rail but I am totally content with this. I can always change it in the future.

Larue Index Clips - The best rail covering product on the market. I refuse to use anything else. I no longer feel like I am grabbing a baseball bat when holding on to a rifle with a rail panel. These are extremely low profile but are much more ergonomic than the Magpul ladder covers.

BCM Gunfighter CH Mod4 - Again, the best on the market. It is all I will use. Makes manipulating the bolt extremely easy and smooth.

TA31 ACOG - Using the TA31 I was able to take advantage of the range I was seeking as well as the capability to engage targets at closer ranges as well. I have extensive training and time behind a TA31 so I thought it was a perfect fit. Also, I am a fan of KISS on fighting rifles. I did not want to mess with a 1-4x variable or a flip-to-side mount for an Aimpoint magnifier. The ACOG has its flaws, but it was the best for what I wanted to do.

I chose a Magpul CTR and MIAD grip because I like the ergonomics of both and having a QD sling point on the stock was necessary.

The lower is an LMT Defender: Proven reliability and quality, plus its SBR'd so I didn't have a choice.

All that is left to do is get a rear BUIS and an AAC Blackout FH. This will be ran with an M4-2000. I will also get a Surefire M300 in a new IWC/Travis Haley light mount. This new mount is what sold me on the OmegaX. Before, I refused to run 7" rails because mounting anything on them would mess with my grip. This new light mount changes that.

This rifle is extremely lightweight for having a stainless steel barrel and is very maneuverable. Compared to my 10.3" it feels only slightly heavier, maybe 5 or 6 ounces. I will eventually get it on a scale.

I am going to pick up some 77gr ammo and stretch its legs coming up next week. I will get my hold over for an effective 550 yard hit and then do some work at closer ranges. I have done alot of shooting with my 14.5" BCM Midlength wearing a TA31 as well, so I can only imagine my CQB work will be easier with the lighter and shorter 12.5"

Last edited by Eurodriver; 12-02-11 at 17:33.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Sweet!!

A 12.5" is next on my list. I cant wait.

Very nice man, congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    This is a very interesting concept, and something I have been mulling over as well. BCM and Noveske are also the folks I was looking at. I love the idea of a Switchblock, but have been highly pleased with the BCM carbines I have bought.

I'd be really interested in the final weight when you are done.

Have you picked what kind of rear BUIS you want? It's not meant as a smartastic remark. I know some folks that want to rely on the "ghost ring" effect of an absolute cowitness T-1 and a FSB.

Very interesting concept for a carbine! I'll really be fascinated to see how it handles with the M4-2000. I've got a UBR laying around if I need it to balance out the can on the front.

Feedback Score
    Looks awesome, great job! A 12.5 build is also on my list of guns in the near future. Let us know how it shoots!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Looks like 12.5s will be the pick of 2012....

Looking into a 12.5 with a 10" RIS II.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    Looks like 12.5s will be the pick of 2012....

Looking into a 12.5 with a 10" RIS II.
    Lol thats what I was thinking!

Im going with a Centurion though. 10".

I was gonna go 10.5" but so many people have them and I want something to fill the gap of my 11.5" and M4
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    12.5" Kino with 10" Centurion rail.

Attachment 10402

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This ^^^

I dont think Im goin with a FSP. Maybe.

IG was the one that sold me on the Centurion a few months back.

Instagram Dangertastic

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCmJUnKie View Post
    This ^^^

I dont think Im goin with a FSP. Maybe.

IG was the one that sold me on the Centurion a few months back.
    Me too.

IG, is that a 10" or 9" rail?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Its a 10"

Its a Kino

Instagram Dangertastic

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast