Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helo Hog Hunt Charters?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Helo Hog Hunt Charters?

Is there a directory for helicopter hog hunts?

I'm looking at one service in TX, but it requires a full day be spent on safety, with $350 associated tuition.

Thanks for your input.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    this would be a cool experience. I would probably want the safety course

do you mind sharing the link to the one in texas?
    Last edited by xjustintimex; 12-05-11 at 14:26.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Vertex is ok, but I sure as hell would not want to hunt out of a Robinson R-22 helo. I don't trust the tail to perform the way I want it to during a hunt, especially over wooded areas.

The Schweizer is good to go though.

There may be other options soon in Texas around Houston, especially once deer season is over.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Vertex is ok, but I sure as hell would not want to hunt out of a Robinson R-22 helo. I don't trust the tail to perform the way I want it to during a hunt, especially over wooded areas.
    Simply from curiosity, could you expand on this?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xanderzuk View Post
    Simply from curiosity, could you expand on this?
    Sure, but let me first state that I work for a company that also provides Helo Hog Hunts north of Texas. Vertex is a good company, but we provide a lot more fun for the tactical style shooter/hunter. Just don't trust your life to hunting out of a Robinson...

The Robinson is an inexpensive helicopter that is commonly used by teach student pilots, or as a "ranch" helo for going from point A to B. It is not really designed for the dynamic flight requirements when hunting hogs. Robinsons don't do well in windy conditions and gusts.

Hogs normally run when they sense the vibration and noise of a helo. The chase is on at this point as they bolt hopefully across open fields. If they change direction, the pilot has to quickly change course to allow the shooter a good shot. The pilot and shooter work as a team like a sniper and spotter.

The R44 model has a high post crash fire hazard. You survive impact, but die from burns.

If you want specifics, I can ask our pilots for more details. Most commercial pilots snicker at the Robinson, at least that is my experience. They point out the poor tail rotor and note the high level of accident reports, the majority of which are listed as pilot error. Our fleet are Eurocopters, but we use a Schweizer 300 for the hog hunts.

Our hog hunts are starting up after deer season, north of Houston. I may be biased, but our hunts are economical and more fun if you like shooting tactical weapons. We are also a FFL/SOT and have a range at our cabin to allow clients to play with our toys.

ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just talked with our pilots about the Robinson and hog hunting, so I could better articulate my recommendation not to hunt from them. One of them is a qualified Robinson flight instructor.

Bottom line is that people use the Robinson for hunting because it is inexpensive to own and operate, not because it is an excellent aircraft to hunt from.

It does ok at level flights in ideal weather conditions- not the best way to hunt hogs.

As one pilot said- "It does OK at flying until something goes wrong. It doesn't auto rotate well.The problem is when you get into high powered demand situations, especially with down wind components. The Robinson does not have good tail rotor authority."
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    IN,
    can you send me some info on the hog hunts ?

what else are you offering any one on one AR training ?

Feedback Score
    thanks for the links. I really want to do this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast