Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best brands/components for precision build?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by source2 View Post
    I'll be shooting mostly at 300yds (max my local range is). Will I see any noticeable benefit in the slight velocity increase between 16" and 18" barrels at that distance?
    I have no problem hitting my 200 yard steel target with either my daniel defense v1 with c3 aimpoint or my daniel defense v5 with leatherwood cmr1-4x. That's all the room I have to shoot. They both have 16 inch barrels. My target is a 9:x13: silhouette, it's this one:

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...&dir=1020|1022

Well I said 9x13, and the website ways 9x16. I don't know if I remembered wrong or they changed them. I guess I'll have to measure mine to see.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I would suggest a Vltor or Larue upper receiver.

The tolerances they are held to will be appreciated on any precision build.

They are more expensive, but if you're looking to save money I would suggest going with a lower cost rail, as opposed to a lower cost generic forged upper.

BCM barrels are actually made by a spin off of Kreiger, Criterion if memory serves, and by all accounts shoot very well.

Feedback Score
    I have read a couple people state that the mike rock barrels that go along with the LMT MRP system are some of the most accurate barrels out... and this is from people who have shot many different makes of precission barrels.

That said, what size groups do you need? BCM is known to make precission barrels with outstanding accuracy and they are priced very well for the quality. I have no expericence with either yet, but just passing on some info Ive come accross. I was supposed to build a buddy a bcm and have some hands on with it, but his living room burnt down so that project is on hold for a while.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-09-12 at 23:16.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm quite the believer in Mike Rock 5R SS MRP barrels, they are single point cut rifled, and hand lapped. Its taken myself several years in order to finally be able to shoot to their full potential.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    I put this: BCM SS410 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ PRI 12" BLACK Handguard 1/8 Twist on top of a BM lower I already had. Along with the Geissele SSA trigger I put in the lower, I have a top quality precision rifle that allows me to shoot to the best of my limited ability.
    I just ordered a very similar setup today. Only diff is 12" DD LITE rail on the BCM SS410 16" upper, and ssa-e on the BCM lower I ordered from grant.

Can't wait to shoot it, these threads have been helpful.

Feedback Score

bolt Carrier and upper fit

I think this would apply to this thread.

Is there any advantage to finding a larger bolt carrier that has tighter tolerances to the upper receiver?

And,

When searching for a barrel, why not cut the chamber shorter/closer to a mag length load? Similar to getting an overall case length gauge. So the bullet doesn't have to travel as far to hit the lands in the barrel

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I like the Gesielle DMR trigger on precision rigs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The Knuckle View Post
    I think this would apply to this thread.

Is there any advantage to finding a larger bolt carrier that has tighter tolerances to the upper receiver?

And,

When searching for a barrel, why not cut the chamber shorter/closer to a mag length load? Similar to getting an overall case length gauge. So the bullet doesn't have to travel as far to hit the lands in the barrel
    1, Nothing I have read suggests this. Match barrel, ammo, and free float barrel are what makes an accurate gun. Of course some professional may know something I don't.

2, I believe that's what the wylde and other 5.56 match chambers are... unless I misread your question.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    At 300 you're not going to notice between 16-18. I will echo The capability of Rainier Arms barrels. Definitely spend the dough on Larue scope mounts and a good optic. I didn't buy good glass initially and now I'm regretting it.
    Last edited by zombie killer; 03-14-12 at 20:29.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12