Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need help making a decision bewteen 6.8 an 300 BLK OUT

Feedback Score

I need help making a decision bewteen 6.8 an 300 BLK OUT

I am looking to punch paper out to 5-600 meters ,plus hunt coyotes, hogs, and deer with the cartridge. It seems as though the 6.8 will fulfill those needs quite well. I have looked at the 6.5 Grendel, but decided against it due to production ammo selection.

What do you guys think, an why?
    Jeremiah 25: "Do not provoke me to anger with what your hands have made. Then I will not harm you".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For long range work, the advantages of the 6.5Grendel are well established. I'm not sure what you have against factory 6.5G ammunition but, the Lapua stuff is very good and Wolf is good for cheaper blasting. Factory ammunition production quantity issues seem to be a thing of the past with good quantities available from several sources.

Coyotes and Deer will humanely go down to either at reasonable ranges. For hogs, 6.5G penetrate very well well. Premium 6.8SPC loads work well at reasonable ranges but, ammo choices are more restricted.

Feedback Score
    A quick search of factory loaded 6.5 ammo turned up limited results compared to the 6.8 rd. I do not want to search for ammo, and I have no intention of reloading at this time.

I have the distance available to hunt past 300 meters in North, AL. I believe that either of the previously mentioned rd's will perform well out to that distance.
    Jeremiah 25: "Do not provoke me to anger with what your hands have made. Then I will not harm you".

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    For out to 600 I'd use a .308 if you don't want a 6.5 Grendel.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    What Robb said.

Even the most efficient 300BLK loads are subsonic or transonic at 600 meters, with some falling subsonic at less than 500M. And I think it would be marginal for hunting midsize game past 200-250M.

I say this as a fan of 300BLK who just completed building an upper in that caliber.

6.8 SPC has a little more energy, but not a lot - it would be marginal at best at 600M, and not a good hunting choice past maybe 250-300M.

.308 is your friend for those distances and uses, and 6.5G would be worth a look. 6.5 Grendel is apparently now SAAMI accepted and ammo options should be improving. You still have the relatively weak bolt head issue due to the rim size, and it's a better cartridge for reloaders than someone who wants to use exclusively factory ammo.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ak74auto View Post
    A quick search of factory loaded 6.5 ammo turned up limited results compared to the 6.8 rd. I do not want to search for ammo, and I have no intention of reloading at this time.

I have the distance available to hunt past 300 meters in North, AL. I believe that either of the previously mentioned rd's will perform well out to that distance.
    In the past six months I have not had any problem getting 6.5 Grendel ammo from a variety of online sources. The Hornady 123gr Amax load is very good and is widely available. The Wolf Gold 120 MPT is a step up from blasting ammo, very reasonably priced, and not hard to find, either. I also have no intention of handloading 6.5 Grendel and I do not have concerns about ammo availability.

Once you starting pinging steel at 600 with a Grendel, you will be hooked.

FWIW, here is my 16" Grendel carbine:

Last edited by caporider; 11-22-11 at 09:22.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    What Robb said.

Even the most efficient 300BLK loads are subsonic or transonic at 600 meters, with some falling subsonic at less than 500M. And I think it would be marginal for hunting midsize game past 200-250M.

I say this as a fan of 300BLK who just completed building an upper in that caliber.

6.8 SPC has a little more energy, but not a lot - it would be marginal at best at 600M, and not a good hunting choice past maybe 250-300M.

.308 is your friend for those distances and uses, and 6.5G would be worth a look. 6.5 Grendel is apparently now SAAMI accepted and ammo options should be improving. You still have the relatively weak bolt head issue due to the rim size, and it's a better cartridge for reloaders than someone who wants to use exclusively factory ammo.
    What Rob and the other guy said... 300BLK great but not for the application you describe.
    Last edited by jasonusvi; 11-22-11 at 09:44.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think the 6.8 is an excellent choice for what you want. It is a proven hunting round, and has taken every game animal in North America, including elk, deer, and hogs at 400+ yards. There are also a dozen factory hunting loads out there. As for target shooting I prefer the Hornady 110BTHP or 110VMax. The Hornady factory load(s) are still kicking along at ~1400fps at 600yds and decent handloads or the Wilson Combat load is still up around 1600fps at that range---from a 16" carbine. Many people including myself have had good luck shooting the 6.8 to 600yds+. A good rule of thumb is that its trajectory will match any mag length 5.56 loads at range from an 18" or shorter barrel and carry 1.5 times the energy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would look at the 6x45 for your intended use. It will have better exterior ballistics than either the 6.8 or the Blackout at 600 yards and loading for it costs roughly the same as 5.56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    In the past six months I have not had any problem getting 6.5 Grendel ammo from a variety of online sources. The Hornady 123gr Amax load is very good and is widely available. The Wolf Gold 120 MPT is a step up from blasting ammo, very reasonably priced, and not hard to find, either. I also have no intention of handloading 6.5 Grendel and I do not have concerns about ammo availability.

Once you starting pinging steel at 600 with a Grendel, you will be hooked.

FWIW, here is my 16" Grendel carbine:

Sproing!!

I'm loving that rifle. I'm tossing around some ideas.....I'm stuck between an .300 BO or a Grendel as my next build and that Grendel is right up my alley.

Specs please....especially barrel manufacturer and BCG?

Tell me also please a little about how she shoots.

Very nice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast