Thread: Best 6.8 bolt

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Question Best 6.8 bolt

What's the best 6.8 bolt in your opinion? I'm strongly leaning toward the LMT, but it's expensive and uses the lobster tail extractor so the springs are non-standard. Same with the LWRC and I've heard once some of those were too brittle and broke. Not sure if that's been addressed or not. I don't believe they have the radius on the lugs like the LMT.

The CMT is more economical but how reliable is it? The lugs don't have the radius either. Anyone heard of these breaking or failing? They aren't advertised as MP (not that it matters as much).

What are Noveske, Barrett, and Daniel Defense using?
    Last edited by Waylander; 12-07-11 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have never seen a report of a broken 6.8 bolt and also have several thousand rounds downrange using a CMT bolt. That said, if I wanted the "best" it would be a toss-up between the LMT and AR Performance bolts.

Many smaller semi-custom shops use CMT bolts, I know a CMT bolt is what came in my Noveske Rogue Hunter upper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sqwerl View Post
    What's the best 6.8 bolt in your opinion? I'm strongly leaning toward the LMT, but it's expensive and uses the lobster tail extractor so the springs are non-standard.
    The lobster tail is a feature. The springs may last forever.

Unless someone has done 200,000 rounds of testing (10 bolts, 20,000 rounds each or until failure), they have no idea what is the best. That is the kind of thing we do when selecting bolts.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 12-07-11 at 22:54.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would've said the same thing until I got a bad ARP bolt. I'm sure ARP would have replaced it but I waited past the 10 day return period because I didn't have an upper reeceiver until about a month later and found out the bolt was bad. I also disagree with them on the spec of width of the extractor slot. He says it's supposed to be tapered. My extractor is larger than the small end of the taper near the lugs so it binds. His solution is for me to ship the bolt back and have him fit a slimmer extractor to it. Both the slots on the LMT and Colt bolts I have are straight so I don't believe both of them would be 0.011 different than spec.

I was leaning toward the LMT but now that I know a company like Noveske uses CMT bolts that may be OK.
    Last edited by Waylander; 12-07-11 at 23:20.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    The lobster tail is a feature. The springs may last forever.

Unless someone has done 200,000 rounds of testing (10 bolts, 20,000 rounds each), they have no idea what is the best.
    I'm mainly referring to availability of the special springs not the durability.
    Last edited by Waylander; 12-07-11 at 22:55.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    LMT Enhanced is where my money would go. I have run them with no issues for years and liked them enough to buy a couple extras...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    LMT Enhanced is where my money would go. I have run them with no issues for years and liked them enough to buy a couple extras...
    Right on. The only problem I have with any of them is if I order one hoping the head space checks out OK when I receive it.
    Or I'm weighing the cost of shipping my upper somewhere hoping they have one that will match the barrel head space.