Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas Grill heat paint holdup on gasblock ???

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ache_d View Post
    I used the bbq black and it chipped a bit, don't know why, tossed a couple layers on. So, I can't recommend it. Could you just get a new gas block? What's a few bucks when you have hundreds in it? But maybe it will work better for you!
    THere's no beating the durability/strength of a pinned FSB.
    From the "What's a few bucks..." POV though, the better option would be to send it out and have it professionally done and re-parked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawdog-1 View Post
    I will be cutting off my LMT M4 sight and making a low profile gasblock and thinking about paint it with Gas Grill heat paint to protech it from rust. Will the Gas Grill heat paint holdup and keep it from rusting?
    You should also consider High Temp Engine paint, I use it on my 11.5 inch Heavy Barrel with the 5.5 inch CAR Flash hider and it works perfect. I have about 800rds thru it so far and the paint can handle Break Free and Mil-Tec 1 without any issues.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.
    |SA Custom Shop 1911-A1 Loaded,(MEU SOC) Mil-Spec|Sig 1911 TacOps&1911 22LR|XDM9 5.25|Glock 22&19|HK USP 45 Comp & USC 45ACP|Ruger KP97, 3 10/22, Mini-30lTaurus PT92AFD & PT-140lColt King Cobra 4inchlBushmaster Magpul CAR-15, Spikes Tactical Lower/Colt 16” HBAR 7.62x39 Tactical, Spikes Tactical/Custom 24” Bull Barrel Sniperl Mossberg Custom 590A1, 500 Blackwater Breacher, 500 Persuader, 24” Slug Gunl
    US Navy Disabled Veteran, NRA Member, Conceal Weapon Permit Holder

Feedback Score
    Check out the Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black on a steel part. Part comes out looking factory finished. I really haven't had any rust issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tMfMXZoTJ4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I used it and it chipped/flaked off in spots. I thought I prepped the surface well. Guess not?

It was on a barrel and came off the bottom of the barrel that had been rested on some 2x4s while shooting.

Feedback Score
    i've used it on a heavly pitted barrel that i thru on a training upper. i stripped the barr. down spayed with the high temp. spray paint and haven't looked back since. i've put alot of rounds thru that barr., been caught in the rain, banged against things and so forth wi th no issues. if any issues crop up i'll just re spay it, but i have not had to retouch it for several years.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Why not just get a rattle can of gun kote or any of the bake on gun finishes?

I would think any gun finishes need to be tolerant of solvents in addition to heat.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I think for your purpose something like rustoleum high temp would work just fine. I have used it in the past on cheap rifles and shot the snot out of them and never had any rust issues.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by phenom00 View Post
    I think for your purpose something like rustoleum high temp would work just fine. I have used it in the past on cheap rifles and shot the snot out of them and never had any rust issues.
    Same here. Used it on the barrel and gas block of my M16A4, and aside from an acrid smell the first time shooting it after painting, it's worked well.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I also used high temp BBQ paint and it works good.
    I have used this and high temp engine block enamel both with good results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12