Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CA legal assemblage

Feedback Score

CA legal assemblage

Howdy,

I've been mostly lurking here on and off for the last few years and gathering information for my ar build. I've been a pistol guy for a few years now, taken a few classes and such, so I decided it was time to start in on rifles and challenge myself a little more. You guys, calguns, and zombie squad have all been very helpful and informative. Of course, there's less chaff to weed out here at m4. Realistically this rifle will be used mostly for punching paper, although I would like to take some classes with it and feel comfortable pressing it into a Home-Defense situation.

You're all going to laugh at me because I live in California and this is what I have to do to my rifle in order to be able to drop magazines with a finger instead of a tool. The ability to quickly reload seems rather important to me in a rile intended for Home Defense. With that said, this is what I wound up with after about a year of research and then months of actually acquiring parts.

A stripped Stag lower acquired locally - It's a lower, seemed like decent quality from the reviews. I know Stag doesn't have the best rep here, but this is just a lower.

A G+R LPK - recommended by so many people it seemed stupid not to. As a beginner to rifles I figured I'd stick with a standard trigger setup and get used to that before deciding on anything fancier

A BCM BFH 16" mid-length upper - seems like this is the recommended budget beginner's best all-round choice with room to grow in to, just had to wait until they were actually in stock

An ACE ARUL stock (rifle length with standard rifle spring and buffer) - I have to have a fixed stock and didn't want to drill through a reciever extension and a stock in order to pin it. The chances of me having to buttstroke someone seem pretty low. I'm a little worried that it makes the rifle nose-heavy, but I'm constrained in my options here. I think I would have preferred an a2 stock but then I run the risk of it being labelled a thumbhole stock.

An Exile Machine Hammerhead grip (not a pistol grip) - again, California insanity. This grip seemed to give the best weapon retention and still let me drop magazines

A Tactical Machining BCG - These guys appear to be pretty supportive of California gun owners and appear to meet the standards I've seen laid out here (full-auto bolt carrier, each bolt MPI and HPT tested, Carpenter 158 steel, well staked carrier key)

A pair of MOE handguards - I was tempted by the look of the CASV-M, but too pricey for now. I'm not up to the point where I need to free-float anything yet anyway so I kind of cheaped out on handguards.

A Daniel Defense A1.5 rear sight - wanted the LMT rear, but too pricey and probably overkill for me at this point in time. Again I kind of cheaped out.

An Aimpoint PRO - again seems to be the recommended budget beginner's optic. Comes with a mount and a great reputation. (I might want to try a lower 1/3 cowitness, but I'll wait till I shoot it some more to see how I feel)

An Ares Armor Huskey Amentum sling - I don't have much training with slings yet, this was a gamble.

An MI front sight block rail mount for a Streamlight TLR-1 - I've only got one weapon light at the moment and it spends most of it's time on my pistol.

A Magpul BAD - I know there is some debate over whether these are a good idea or not, if it starts to cause me problems it's gone. In the mean time it does seem to really help failure drills with my non-pistol grip

No muzzle device yet - Had to remove the A2 flashhider for California compliance and am currently researching muzzle brakes/compensators. But it might be safer to leave it bare in case I run into under-trained LEOs or wanna-bes at the range. California gun laws are incredibly byzantine and even the most well-meaning person can have trouble understanding them.

Have I missed anything obvious? or made any huge mistakes you guys can see?

-James

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Nice build man !

Featureless is the way to go in CA, most people wont understand the hammerhead but I honestly thing its way better than a kydex wrap.

Regarding the light setup, Magpul release a mount that can pretty much mount anything on the MOE handguard.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG403/46

I have never used anything that mounts directly to the FSB, but from since your co-witnessing your Aimpoint to the irons, is the light&mount blocking your view? If so, that link seems like a pretty good/cheap solution.

I too use the Ares Armor Huskey sling, I think it is awesome to be honest. The slider really makes it easy to adjust in comparison to some of the other adjustable two point slings. I think you will like it, but this is a very personnel thing.

Regarding comp/muzzle break, I would recommend the Battlecomp. BCE is located here in CA so its been put to test by many (legally). In the Calguns' featureless thread, you will see a lot of battlecomp, FSC556, and surefire556 breaks. If all those people didn't get into trouble with them, you should be fine too.

Hope you got a lot of ammo and luckily enough to have some preban mags. Enjoy man!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Damn Kalifornia laws! Looks like you're getting around it just fine though.

Can you have a brake/comp if you have the mag release, or do you have to pin and weld it?

Also, does that rail cover get around having a quad rail?

Moving out there in a month, I just went with RadLocks from RifleGear.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoSauce View Post
    Damn Kalifornia laws! Looks like you're getting around it just fine though.

Can you have a brake/comp if you have the mag release, or do you have to pin and weld it?

Also, does that rail cover get around having a quad rail?

Moving out there in a month, I just went with RadLocks from RifleGear.
    Perm only for the comp/brake. Nothing removable.
    From TOS ... "buy the shit out of that thing, all the mil spec is just nonsense."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by discreet View Post
    Perm only for the comp/brake. Nothing removable.
    Are you talking about in California? I have never read anything about the comp/brake needed to be perm wield in place. Only when its to match barrel length requirement.

If you are going featureless, you just can NOT have a flash hider.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zzzake View Post
    Are you talking about in California? I have never read anything about the comp/brake needed to be perm wield in place. Only when its to match barrel length requirement.

If you are going featureless, you just can NOT have a flash hider.
    Could be mistaken, but last I checked it was such. Calguns is the place to check either way. Like said, it's been awhile since I've devoured the CA laws, and personally, moving out of CA a few years back, I don't care too much to even think about Commiefornia, as it's laws just make me angry.
    From TOS ... "buy the shit out of that thing, all the mil spec is just nonsense."

Feedback Score
    Regarding the light setup, Magpul release a mount that can pretty much mount anything on the MOE handguard. http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG403/46

I have never used anything that mounts directly to the FSB, but from since your co-witnessing your Aimpoint to the irons, is the light&mount blocking your view? If so, that link seems like a pretty good/cheap solution.
    I had not seen that before. I'm still not sure which side I like the light on better yet though, and the magpul mount looks to be side specific. In the meantime I don't think my light/mount blocks too much of my view through the aimpoint. Of course we'll see what I think after I run it through a class.

Regarding comp/muzzle break, I would recommend the Battlecomp. BCE is located here in CA so its been put to test by many (legally). In the Calguns' featureless thread, you will see a lot of battlecomp, FSC556, and surefire556 breaks. If all those people didn't get into trouble with them, you should be fine too.
    I'm staying away from the FSC556 as my understanding is that the FSC stands for Flash Suppressing Compensator. Hence it's a Flash Suppressor which is a no-no on this featureless rifle. Also I'm cheap and if I can delay spending a hundred bucks and still have a functional rifle I will.

I think I'm going to hold off on a decision about a muzzle device as I don't think I'm losing too much of anything not having one right now. It's not like there's a lot of muzzle rise (although I haven't been able to do a lot of rapid firing, maybe that'd make it worse)

As for pinning and welding Muzzle Devices, my understanding from lots of reading on CalGuns is that you only have to do that to meet the Federal barrel length requirements.

-James

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Aimpoint/Fixed sight

How do you like the PRO with the DD fixed rear sight? Does the rear lens cover clear the sight when you open it? I am running the exact same setup, but with a Larue rear sight, and the clearance is really tight. Your's looks like it might have slightly more clearance.

Because I don't remember, and feel lazy today, is the bayonet mount an "evil feature"?

It is pretty sad what we have to put up with here in this crazy state!
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
    Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuvik View Post
    How do you like the PRO with the DD fixed rear sight? Does the rear lens cover clear the sight when you open it? I am running the exact same setup, but with a Larue rear sight, and the clearance is really tight. Your's looks like it might have slightly more clearance.

Because I don't remember, and feel lazy today, is the bayonet mount an "evil feature"?

It is pretty sad what we have to put up with here in this crazy state!
    No clearance problems here. The rear lens cover pops right up. Since it's transparent though, I have completely forgotten to pop it up before.

The bayonet lug is not an evil feature in CA, that was for the Federal AWB I believe which lapsed in 2004.

California's PC on the subject ::
    12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding PC section 12276, assault weapon shall also
    mean the following: Rifles
    (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a
    detachable magazine CCR 11 § 5469 (a) and any one of the following:
    (A) A pistol grip CCR 11 § 5469 (d)
    (B) A thumbhole stock. CCR 11 § 5469 (e)
    (C) A folding or telescoping stock.
    (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    (E) A flash suppressor. CCR 11 § 5469 (b)
    (F) A forward pistol grip. CCR 11 § 5469 (c)
    (2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the
    capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
    (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less
    than 30 inches.
    -James

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks for the info on the CPC.

I just leave my rear lens cover down, and it works great.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
    Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast