Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Hornady 5.56mm 55gr GMX

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Apologies if my question about why the 70gr GMX is such a unicorn came across as implying that you were gouging. DEFINITELY not meant as such, was truly just wondering why Hornady would take a pass on sales.
    Not in the least.

C4

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    Is a wound track from a bullet tumbling after entering a target bad? I understand the desire for a bullet that goes straight and true through a target, but wouldn't a wound track that is the length of a bullet end-over-end be acceptable? (not trying to be snarky or obtuse, actually posing a question)

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Jimmy
    Well, I would prefer to hit the organs I aimed at. I like bullets that allow me to shoot for the exit, so to speak. Not which go off willy nilly once they hit the target.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    I have to say I can not discern what you describe in the gel tests by hornady. Molon posted the pics above for everyone. Maybe that bullet is more likely to tumble in a water jug but tracks in gel.
    This bullet is almost sideways in the gel, facing the camera.

That was fired from a 10.5" gun. Fire it from a 14.5+ and you're going to get even worse yaw, as the structural failure of the bullet is worse/more likely.

In both cases, the bullets tumbled nearly out of the jugs I shot. It was a PITA to recover them. The 62gr TSX, Gold Dot 75gr, and 64gr Ranger Bonded tracked true. Are water jugs living things? No. But my water jug experience seems to mirror gel, which has been said to mirror flesh and blood. I'm leery.
    Last edited by WS6; 12-02-15 at 12:45.

Feedback Score
    I'm pretty impressed by the performance of the 55 gr TAP version of this load. In many regards, it seems the 55 gr GMX bullet is superior to the 55 gr TSX. I may have to give this stuff a try, as it seems to be one of the barrier blind loads with the best potential match to M193 in terms of trajectory. It would be nice if the GMX/M193 combo does reasonably well using the same zero from 0-300 yards. I expect there will be some POI shift between the two loads, but being both are 55 gr bullets at similar velocities, I think the chances are good they will be quite close...enough so for training purposes anyway.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charging Handle View Post
    I'm pretty impressed by the performance of the 55 gr TAP version of this load. In many regards, it seems the 55 gr GMX bullet is superior to the 55 gr TSX. I may have to give this stuff a try, as it seems to be one of the barrier blind loads with the best potential match to M193 in terms of trajectory. It would be nice if the GMX/M193 combo does reasonably well using the same zero from 0-300 yards. I expect there will be some POI shift between the two loads, but being both are 55 gr bullets at similar velocities, I think the chances are good they will be quite close...enough so for training purposes anyway.
    I agree that the 55gr stuff is better than the 70gr from what I've seen.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    not that this is scientific but here is what a 55gr GMX and a Mk318 shot from a 12.5" into soft dirt hillside at 50 yards looks like. a friend was inquiring about what ammo to get for a rainy day and we were talking about these 2 loads. i was printing them on paper and dug them out of the hillside.

the great thing about 55gr GMX is that it shoots to nearly an identical POI as m193 out to about 100 yds.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...psfowo8621.jpg

Attachment 36397

edit; next time i go shooting i'll take some plywood or 2x4's to shoot through so we see what barrier ammo looks like after passing thru a barrier.
    Last edited by mr h; 12-07-15 at 14:36.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213