Thread: .300blk Remington Hog Hammer

Feedback Score

.300blk Remington Hog Hammer

Wondering if anyone has done any tests on the (relatively) new Hog Hammer load from Remington.

On the surface, it's looks like a solid contender for a defensive load for .300blk. Barnes bullet designed for .300 blackout velocities, based on what I have read, it should expand out to roughly 400 yards (way more than needed) out of a 10.5" barrel.

Just haven't seen any gel tests for the load yet, so I am hesitant to buy a big supply.
    Last edited by friendlyfireisnt; 07-06-15 at 19:20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The 110gr and 120gr Barnes black tip already penetrate quite a bit, not sure why you'd pick something that penetrates even more. I'd stick to the lighter Barnes black tips or the Lehigh 78gr for defense and save the Hog Hammer for bigger game.

-john

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

.300blk Remington Hog Hammer

They work'd exceptionally well during black bear season last year. 1 and dun.

Feedback Score
    For sure the Blacktip would be my choice

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would DOUBT 400 yards. Barnes states ~1400fps expansion threshold. Barnes also "estimates" around 2000 out of a 9" barrel(they estimate based on seeing around 2100 out of a 9" barrel using 110g black tips). Using JBM and some rough numbers looks like just over 300 yards(1407 at 300 yards). To me that says "this is a 250 yard round" to make sure I stay in the expansion threshold. Supposedly expansion has been to around .50 so not quite double the diameter, but pretty close.

Just as a comparison a 110g black tip doesnt drop below 1350(its expansion threshold) until around 325 based on 2100 fps muzzle velocity out of a 9" gun. Again, I would back off of that slightly and say a 300 yard round.

Some of the lehigh stuff will do better, buts if you think Barnes bullets are $$$ just check out the Le High stuff. The 194g expanders are like 1.50 a piece just for the bullet.

ETA: reading some of the real world reports on this bullet are NOT promising. Google search the 300blktalk forum and you will get some hits. Most are saying to stick with the 110g black tips as they are a PROVEN performer.
    Last edited by rjacobs; 07-07-15 at 08:36.

Feedback Score
    Good info guys, thanks.

Wasn't looking for more penetration, As the black tips are already at the higher end of what I want. Was more interested to find a alternate load if I can't find the 110gr loads.

Going to try to stock up on a few hundred rounds of black tips here shortly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    They work'd exceptionally well during black bear season last year. 1 and dun.

300Blk works pretty good for bear?? Brother in law what to get a bear, wasn't sure my 300 was up to the task.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've taken deer with the Hog Hammer and black tip Barnes 110 gr from an SBR. I no longer use Hog Hammer. Too much penetration vs expansion. Stick with the Black Tip Barnes, 110-120gr.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I really wanted to like the Remington Hog Hammer round but after 4 failures to fire out of my .300 blk pistol in the first box of 20 and 3 FTF on the second box (all with good primer strikes) they can keep it. It's a fairly new pistol but I have a couple hundred rounds through it with a hiccup except for the Remington Hog Hammer rounds.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.