Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 Round GI Mags w/Magpul followers

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

20 Round GI Mags w/Magpul followers

I've seen hiccups with MP 20 mags. I believe it is because the rear leg is short - giving a 'nose up'. (Same ammo - two different weapons). Do the MP followers in the 20 round GI mags have 2 long legs - unlike the MP followers in the MP mags?
    Last edited by m4brian; 12-11-11 at 14:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are no MP followers made for 20 round USGI mags. The followers need to tilt just a bit to accommodate the slight taper of the cartridge, when used in the straight body mag.

Feedback Score
    I be never had any problems with the standard followers in my usgi 20 rnd mags or the magpul follower in my 20 rnd pmags.

Feedback Score
    The PMAG20 is a pretty well known "risk factor" for reliability. Lots of instances of malfunctions, particularly with failures to lock back on an empty.

The USGI20 is, in my opinion, the most reliable magazine you can buy when outfitted with a standard black or aluminum follower. Edit to add: A Magpul follower will not fit a USGI20 properly.
    Last edited by lamarbrog; 12-12-11 at 15:50.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    Those are curved and fall into the realm of "What's the point?"

If you want a 30 round magazine, get a USGI30 and put a MagPul or similar follower in it (I like the CMMG SSAT followers.). Or, get a PMag30.

If you want a 20 round magazine, get a USGI with aluminum or black plastic follower.

Feedback Score
    Lancer L5 Advanced Warfighter Magazines, I love mine. The way to go for 20 round magazines.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Colt made GI 20 rounders were alays 100% for me. Now for 30's I like PMAGs, but in a 20? the GI is the way to go. ther have been some slight sissues with 20 round PMAGS - not sur eabout just followers though.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lamarbrog View Post
    The USGI20 is, in my opinion, the most reliable magazine you can buy when outfitted with a standard black or aluminum follower.
    No doubt. I don't have any problems with the Pmag 20 I own.. but it's strickly a prone/bench shooting accessory.

The current NHMTGs or old USGI 20s are the most reliable mag there is. The curved versions are silly nonsense and make me think of Cprod.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    No doubt. I don't have any problems with the Pmag 20 I own.. but it's strickly a prone/bench shooting accessory.

The current NHMTGs or old USGI 20s are the most reliable mag there is. The curved versions are silly nonsense and make me think of Cprod.
    Exactly. It's common sense that the USGI20 would be most reliable. The platform is designed to use that magazine. All 30 round magazines are an after-thought, and are flawed in one way or another due to the incompatibility of a curved magazine and a straight magazine well.

We put up with the imperfect curve of the 30 round magazines to get the extra ten rounds. Why you would take the lesser around count of a 20 round magazine, and then arbitrarily add a curve to it is nothing short of moronic.

And the Pmag20 has not had a reliable track record.

It always amuses me when people try to apply fixes for later flawed designs to the original, perfected design.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast