Page 11 of 73 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: .223 Barnes 70 Grain TSX Performance

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Correction:

In my 12-14-11 post to this thread I said I had fired the 70 grainers from 9 and 10 twists and got mediocre accuracy but no yaw. I have been thinking how that doesn't sound right. I dug out the targets and find that I must have been confusing another test with this-- I DID get yaw, at 25 yards, in 9 and 10 twist barrels with the Barnes 70 grain bullet.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Here is a two minute 5MB WMV video I made tonight with the FLIR T-50 of a sounder group that was in a pond surrounded by a tall stand of dog fennels and weeds, I had to wait patiently for two hours to get a good shot.

Thank God for my ThermaCell as the skeets were trying to eat me alive.

Took out one of the sows with a hand-loaded Barnes 70 grain TSX from my SIG 556 using the Eotech 552 and 3X Magnifier @ 80 yards,

The 325 pound sow goes down with the first shot and stays down, but I shot her once more for insurance since she was in two feet of muck. I was up to my knees in mud hooking up the tow line from the ATV to get her out of there.

The FLIR T-50 that Vic from TNVC sold me is a solid instrument the definitely brings home da bacon....

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20...Hog%20WEB2.wmv

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Very cools stuff, SP. I see that unit is even showing, what are they moth, dragonflies, or something?

Feedback Score
    I believe those are dragonflies feasting on the multitudes of mosquitoes that bloomed out after we had 22 inches of rain dumped on us by two tropical storms, there are also a couple of bats flying around too enjoying a good meal.

I let the other hogs go because I was out there by myself and handling that one big sow was plenty for me last night, plus the freezer it totally full now too.

Once I clean out the freezer and give away a bunch of hams, loins. etc I will be ready to go ZOMBIE on those hogs, I could have shot quite a few if I wanted to. The thermal is outstanding for follow up shots as you can imagine from the vid....I am seeing what you see in the vid @ 3X through the Eotech optic and magnifier with no distortion or pixelation. In fact, the real video is about 12X the size and quality if I did not shrink it down for the web.

Feedback Score
    Think this would work for deer that are 75 yards and in? Its all I have to hunt with so another rifle isn't an option right now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    Think this would work for deer that are 75 yards and in? Its all I have to hunt with so another rifle isn't an option right now.
    75 is a chip shot for this bullet, and it will drop a deer DRT....assuming you can shoot.

Feedback Score
    Whelp, it was raining again tonight but the mosquitoes were not so bad. We went out and check two different spots that we have been monitoring for hog signs and nailed a hog at each spot using the Barnes 70 grain TSX handloads.

First spot was near a feeder we had hiked out about a mile to and spotted this boar out about 300 yards with the FLIR PS-32 and sneaked in closer to get a line on him, finally layed down on the wet ground to get a good prone shot since it was 150 yards out, turned on the FLIR T-50 and shot him through the lungs with a Barnes 70 grain TSX, he went about 25 feet and collapsed.

Walked back to the truck and drove in and loaded up this boar and then left and drove a couple miles over to another spot we have set up a live trap, feeder, and stand.

Rain was still drizzling and real quiet with no wind. Was on the stand for about two hours when I saw this sow cross over a jeep trail about 1/4 mile out. Waited another good hour and was about to leave to head home when I noticed some faint thermal images with the FLIR PS-32 in a dense thicket about 100 yards out, could not tell what it was but figured it was a coon since a family of seven coons had been going in and out of the live trap.

Walked over to the thicket and turned on the FLIR T-50 and saw the outline of a hog in the thick woods but could not see anything with the PVS-14 and IR Illuminators, put the ACOG crosshairs on the lungs and did a Double Tap since the woods were so thick there I did not want to be trying to walk around trying to find a dead hog in a dense underbrush.

Hog made it about ten feet and dropped dead! Had to drag it out of the thicket about 50 feet to the trail.

Feedback Score
    Awesome !!
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Skypup, I'm glad someone is still taking hogs. I've been out twice in the last week and an half and haven't even seen one. We're going again Friday, this time at zero dark thirty in the morning, hoping for an early morning feed meeting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Holster View Post
    Skypup, I'm glad someone is still taking hogs. I've been out twice in the last week and an half and haven't even seen one. We're going again Friday, this time at zero dark thirty in the morning, hoping for an early morning feed meeting.
    Hot Holster, where did you go out?

I'm scheduled to go out this week in TX at a hunting ranch. Point being to try out the ASYM .223 70 grainers on a hog or two just to see it for myself.

Also bringing some BH 50g TSX for same purpose.

Hope I at least get a shot or two

Page 11 of 73 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast