Thread: .223 Barnes 70 Grain TSX Performance

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Another one bit the dust last night...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    Hot Holster, where did you go out?

I'm scheduled to go out this week in TX at a hunting ranch. Point being to try out the ASYM .223 70 grainers on a hog or two just to see it for myself.

Also bringing some BH 50g TSX for same purpose.

Hope I at least get a shot or two
    I hunt a few miles north of LaBelle, Fla. There's usually a lot of hogs moving early in the mornings and just as the sun sets and as I said, two times out and not seeing anything but a few deer, a rabbit, and a turkey.

The previous two times out, I took a boar one time and a sow the next time so my average is dropping. We're going out again next Friday, I hope our luck changes.

We were going to do a hunt this past Friday but there was a lot of maintenance to do on the property, cutting the knee high grass around the camp area, filling the feeders, and some stand repair/installations, so by time we were done, it felt as if we were hit by trucks so we headed home.

Happy hunting and good luck on your trip.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPup View Post

Another productive night, nice!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPup View Post

The symbolism isn't lost on me

Feedback Score

Talking

That truly was a bush hog!!!

She was on a high point in the swamp and I shot her there and we could not even get to her through the knee deep muck, so hiked on back to the barn and got the 4WD Kubota and wallowed in to get her...

Feedback Score
    Mowing 'em down huh?

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Feedback Score
    Finally got a chance to try out the ASYM 70g TSX rounds, BCM and Aimpoint on something other than water bottles this weekend.

At end of a business trip to Dallas, got out to hunt some hogs and see for myself how the round performs. Went out here: http://www.bouldertexotics.com/. They were fantastic.

First morning got my opportunity and didn't waste it. Shot ended up being less than 50 yards so I don't have any heroic sniping story to post.

Thanks to SkyPup and his anatomical pic of the hogs he posted a while back, I had a pretty good idea where to aim and upon further review, he was right on.

Pig was going from my right to left and I put the red dot basically right up from that front "elbow" and let one fly just as she was leaving the clearing I'd spotted her in. She bolted through the brush but made it only about 10 yards before she dropped.

Later as we opened her up, I got a good look at what the bullet did inside and can now say that any doubt I had about the 70g TSX or ASYM is gone! Opened up almost immediately as the round went from tiny entry wound on outer left shoulder to what appears to be full expansion even before it penetrated the outer "sheath" stuff that these pigs have just under their skin. First time I'd seen one being gutted so I wasn't too sure what was what but there was no doubt when the heart (or what was left of it) was pointed out to me.

Round continued through the body before leaving a pretty substantial (compared to the size of the unfired .223 bullet) exit wound.

Afterwards, I went out two more times and passed up a couple slightly larger boars hoping for that monster/trophy hog but didn't happen.

Guess that means I have to go back!

Thanks to you guys at M4C for all the info as it helped me get a jump on what was going on for my first hunt.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rocsteady; 02-07-18 at 19:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice, congrats.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    Finally got a chance to try out the ASYM 70g TSX rounds, BCM and Aimpoint on something other than water bottles this weekend.

At end of a business trip to Dallas, got out to hunt some hogs and see for myself how the round performs. Went out here: http://www.bouldertexotics.com/. They were fantastic.

First morning got my opportunity and didn't waste it. Shot ended up being less than 50 yards so I don't have any heroic sniping story to post.

Thanks to SkyPup and his anatomical pic of the hogs he posted a while back, I had a pretty good idea where to aim and upon further review, he was right on.

Pig was going from my right to left and I put the red dot basically right up from that front "elbow" and let one fly just as she was leaving the clearing I'd spotted her in. She bolted through the brush but made it only about 10 yards before she dropped.

Later as we opened her up, I got a good look at what the bullet did inside and can now say that any doubt I had about the 70g TSX or ASYM is gone! Opened up almost immediately as the round went from tiny entry wound on outer left shoulder to what appears to be full expansion even before it penetrated the outer "sheath" stuff that these pigs have just under their skin. First time I'd seen one being gutted so I wasn't too sure what was what but there was no doubt when the heart (or what was left of it) was pointed out to me.

Round continued through the body before leaving a pretty substantial (compared to the size of the unfired .223 bullet) exit wound.

Afterwards, I went out two more times and passed up a couple slightly larger boars hoping for that monster/trophy hog but didn't happen.

Guess that means I have to go back!

Thanks to you guys at M4C for all the info as it helped me get a jump on what was going on for my first hunt.

Very Nice, that is a great hog hunting report and glad to hear that the TSX did what it is designed to do! Sounds like you had a really good time, your first hunt will not be your last!!!

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Was in the backyard tonight after sunset with the FoxPro Prairie Blaster setup playing "Cow Tip Cotton Tail".

Had the caller around 60 feet out in front of me hanging on a pine tree about four feet off the ground.

I had just started calling from my stand and within 30 seconds I noticed a heat signature about 250 yards out with the FLIR PS-32, immediately switched over to the FLIR T-50 Thermal Weapon Sight and zeroed in on this nice Bobcat. He slowly came in over a period of about 15 minutes and finally sat down on the edge of the tree canopy 150 yards out so that I could take aim at him.

Shot him once through the heart with a Barnes TSX 70 grain handload and he jumped about five feet in the air about a dozen times and ran 25 feet or so and died.

Too bad I did not have the video camera hooked up....

Page 12 of 73 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast