Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm too skinny to CCW?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I'm too skinny to CCW?

Carrying is ALWAYS uncomfortable...

I don't mean mentally. I carry one in the chamber and I'll go everywhere I legally can while CCW'ing.

I mean it is physically uncomfortable. I simply can't find a setup to carry comfortably for any length of time.
    I'm 6'1 and 160 pounds soaking wet. I'm thin and bony to say the least; especially around the hips and waist.

I have a G19 and it is by far my favorite handgun. I've tried carrying sevaral different ways.

At first I went for a popular set up and bought a Comp-Tac minoutar IWB holster. This setup proved to be too bulky for my slim, straight-line hips. It seems the holster takes up too much real estate around my waist band, causing my belt to have a gaping area to curve back to my actual waist line. Yes, even carrying at 7-8 o'clock. (I'm left handed too)

So I tried a less spoken of holster that seems to take up less waistband area. I tried a Galco summer comfort. This holster still seemed too bulky, and like no matter what, it just wants to tug at my belt and pull everything down. I had to keep my belt unbearibly tight to keep everything from sliding down my "telephone pole" smooth waist line.

I then figured it's the belt's fault. You need a good foundation to build a good house. You need a good foundation (belt) to carry a gun. I went with an over the counter 5.11 thick nylon belt from a cop store. The clerk was ex leo and he highly recommended it. It looked just like other popular belts I've seen talked about on the internet, figured it'll do the trick. Nope, still need to keep it crazy tight to keep things from falling, sliding and slipping.

I went so far as to blame the G19 for just being too big, bulky and heavy. I sought and found a S&W Shield and ordered a Raven Phantom kydex holster.

The Raven holster came in and I was quite impressed. It is by far the slimmest holster I have come across. It's literally millimeters thicker than the gun itself. I'm thinking this was the solution. Still though, similar problems. The holster, although it is slim, takes up too much real estate around my 30" waist. And although it's a slim and lightweight gun, a loaded firearm hanging onto my waist line just does not want to hang easily or unnoticed by me.

I've tried wearing the guns lower on the clips; deeper inside my pants. This requires the belt to wrap around more area of the holster and gun, thus causing tight and weird angles in the belt itself.

I've tried wearing the guns much higher so the belt wraps around less bulk. But with the weight vertically higher the gun wants to flop over, no matter how tight I make the belt.

Of course I've tried everything else in between. My only hope is carrying inside my jacket pockets during winter.

Are there any other skinny guys out there who have carrying issues? Anyone overcome them? Please explain.

Thanks for you time.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I feel you brother. I'm 6ft and 175lbs. and have a hard time concealing guns in the summer due to tighter fitting clothing. I just don't like loose clothes. Have you tried appendix carry?

Feedback Score
    Suspenders.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Cool

I'm not as thin as I once was. 6'1" 205 now, but I can never carry my g19 unless wearing something a little bulkier than a tshirt. I usually wear a hoodie here in WA. I've tried various positions as well. Least conspicuous being 1-2 o'clock. Still prints a lil too much for my liking with a tshirt. Got a snubby for the tshirt days.
    4-5 o'clock works well for me too as long as I don't bend to pick up anything.
    My 7 iron is more accurate than my capabilities. Same with my AR.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm nearly the same size as you and have ZERO issues carrying a full-size handgun AIWB.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LightningFast View Post
    I'm nearly the same size as you and have ZERO issues carrying a full-size handgun AIWB.
    Would you explain your setup?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm 5'8 130 lbs. the best way I've found is at my 5 o'clock with a Galco summer comfort.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    Would you explain your setup?
    M&P 9 FS AIWB in a JM Custom Kydex holster. Clinch pick ~11:00, and spare mag in a comp-tac carrier at ~9:00.

Living in the midwest, it's even easier as I get to wear sweatshirts over my gear. But, it's not really any harder in summer. Only hard part there is the OWB mag.

I have a Shield 9 that I thought would get used during summer months, but turns out I don't need it. The excellent JM Custom holster conceals my full-size guns extremely well.

For my body, I've found holsters that ride higher work better. The low rides are doable, but often leave a more noticeable bump at the top of my weapon's grip.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Holsters make a huge difference, but clothing choices do as well.

Do you buy one or two size larger pants or did you just put the gun IWB with the holster in the pants you normally wear/wore before you carry?

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Ive been carrying a glock 19 in a crossbreed supertuck. Im slightly larger than you, but its so comfortable i dont even notice it. If i stick a glock 26 in it, i forget its on. Great holster, but i cut mine to fit slightly better.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast